cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping near Flagstaff AZ

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I will be returning from Zion trip in September and would like to spend a day or two near Flagstaff. Anyone have favorite spots here?
11 REPLIES 11

rarintogo
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at J&H also and really liked it. They had pet sitting which was great too while we went to Phoenix for the day. A little hot for a little doggie when we went.
Joe and Joy
'04 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise - 34D
W22 Workhorse, Banks Power Pack, Bilstein Shocks, Davis TruTrac,
Jeep Liberty Toad.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
That would be a good trip thru AZ.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Bonito if you don't need hookups. Does have flush toilets. A pretty unique setting as the ground is covered with black volcanic sand and gravel with little undergrowth but there are plenty of pine trees throughout the CG. (OK, maybe they aren't pine but they are evergreens). Close to Sunset Crater and Wupatki.

There are also some NFS CG's on Lake Mary Road SE of town that are on or near lakes. Never stayed at any of them as we've always managed to get a spot at Bonito.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
J&H would be my choice. Very nice park. They close for the season in October but that shouldn't affect you in September.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on Bonito...nice place but no hookups. If you military access the Luke AFB campground at Ft Tuthill is decent but most spaces would be tight for anything over 25-30โ€™.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
Woody Mountain Stayed there a couple of times. Full hookups

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
None of the Flagstaff area RV parks are all that great.
Instead we stay 20-30 miles west in Williams, AZ. Circle Pines KOA is a nice, clean forested, dirt road campground. Many spots are large, big rig.

Grand Canyon Railroad RV resort. This is in Williams next to the Grand Canyon Railroad and hotel. RV guests can use the hotels indoor pool. Very nice paved RV resort. General store and pet kennel on site. This is our favorite. Williams is a great route 66 town right off I-40.

Below are Flagstaff area RV parks we've been too.

Woody Mountain. This would be my pick if you must stay in Flagstaff area. Forested, dirt road campground. Clean, very nice employees. Big rigs can be a problem as some spots are narrow and numerous trees to maneuver around.

KOA east Flagstaff is very cramped tight spots.

Munds Park is clean but most spots are out in open treeless area. Much of the park is now permanent rentals. If you can get a spot in the forested section you'll be good.

J&H RV Park. Clean, open gravel lot. Mostly 55+ but they do allow kids. Most of the residents have lights out and inside RV's by 9pm.

Fort Tuthill Park. Forested state park. Most sites have water only, no electric. A few spots have sewer.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago we were headed north on 17 and stayed at Munds Valley RV park about 18-20 miles south of Flagstaff. It has since grown considerably, but I believe they still have transient sites for a few days.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Bonito Campground, if you don't need hookups.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Circle of Pines KOA, Williams, 15 minutes out.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Flagstaff posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman