cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping around Christmas time

campinmomof2
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone could give me some suggestions of places to camp around Christmas time, I would greatly appreciate it. I would prefer to go somewhere in the Southeastern region of the US but am open to other states as well. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Another area is Branson MO, lots to do in the area.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
jabres wrote:
On these rainbow Springs, Crystal river area etc, everyone is talking about.. Would i need to make advance reservations to get into these park around new years this year? Or since its north central florida its not necessary? thanks!

If you want in the state parks, you will probably need reservations. I think thus stay pretty full.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
would you need advance reservations for macon, montgomery, savannah areas? or could you wing it and just show up in these areas?

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of places in south Georgia & Alabama. Most any where south of Savannah, Macon or Montgomery would be fine most years.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
About 5 years ago we went to Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina over Christmas.Short walk to the beach. Great nature programs.You are just south of Murrel's Inlet where they have some great restaurants.

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
On these rainbow Springs, Crystal river area etc, everyone is talking about.. Would i need to make advance reservations to get into these park around new years this year? Or since its north central florida its not necessary? thanks!

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Think I would just move from COE and state parks across the Gulf Coast.
14 days here, then move...
Be in south Texas during coldest part of the winter.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Christmas, Florida :B

Unless you have an absolute need to go to the most southern part of Florida with all the humidity and mosquitoes.

The best kept secret of the north central part of Florida is just knock down beautiful. Numerous crystal blue springs, rivers for kayaking or tubing 3 beautiful forests, etc. No matter which way you go it's less than an hour from the gulf or the east coast. google Rainbow Springs, Dunnellon, Crystal river, and include a 20/30 mile radius or so.

AND there are a plethora of real nice CG's all around that are not sardine crammed with snowbirds. I Snowbirded in this area for a couple of years and never once made reservations ahead of time during peak season.

Shhh, don't tell everyone about this place.:C

This is a great area! The springs are incredible.

Many of those springs are dive-able if youre scuba certified.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Christmas, Florida :B

Unless you have an absolute need to go to the most southern part of Florida with all the humidity and mosquitoes.

The best kept secret of the north central part of Florida is just knock down beautiful. Numerous crystal blue springs, rivers for kayaking or tubing 3 beautiful forests, etc. No matter which way you go it's less than an hour from the gulf or the east coast. google Rainbow Springs, Dunnellon, Crystal river, and include a 20/30 mile radius or so.

AND there are a plethora of real nice CG's all around that are not sardine crammed with snowbirds. I Snowbirded in this area for a couple of years and never once made reservations ahead of time during peak season.

Shhh, don't tell everyone about this place.:C

This is a great area! The springs are incredible.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

campinmomof2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great tips and suggestions! I appreciate them all.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I would second the recommendation of Charleston. James Island County Park is very nice and they have the best Holiday Festival of Lights drive we have ever experienced and we have seen more than a few. However staying at James County Park Campground will be hard to reserve at this late date. I would recommend Oak Plantation Campground where we spent Christmas a couple of years ago and had a great time. Don't tarry as they fill up as well. You can still see the Holiday Festival of Lights drive with out staying at James Island but it will require a little patience for the drive as it is extremely popular.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like to go to Pigeon Forge. Weather is usually not to bad.

Other suggestions: Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head Island, Charleston, Savannah.

If your plans take you on I-95 south, plan on alot of traffic from the 26th on as snowbirds are flocking that way.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Charleston, SC. Charles City County Park.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
St. Augustine, FL is pretty at Christmas. Stagecoach RV nice park. Fairly close to downtown St. Augustine.