cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds along US St 36 in Kansas

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are going to be running along RT 36 in Kansas enoute the Mesa Verde area. At some point we are going to turn south to visit Dodge City for a couple of days. I've been checking out campgrounds along the way ,both public and private, trying to stay within 10 miles or so from this route. I found some that seem ok but I'm wondering what your favorite campgrounds are along this road. We only really need (would like) is electric. We will be traveling in our 28ft class C with a toad and be in this area mid July this summer.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
13 REPLIES 13

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Prairie Dog SP when traveling 36. It is a few miles west of 283 that goes down to Dodge City.
Betsy

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned there are a number of Corps of Engineers, State, County and local parks that provide camping opportunities. It has been several years ago, but we stayed at a Lions Club park in Atwood and a city park near Smith Center on U.S. 36. If you can get your hands on a copy of the Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project data base, it was one of the best resources I have found for finding city, county and other government campgrounds.

docsouce wrote:
Boondocking is always on my table too.
Many of the Kansas State Fishing Lakes allow camping. Some Kansas Wildlife Management Areas have designated camping areas.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
here's another one to check out. https://www.visitmarysvilleks.org/hotel/marysville-city-park/
Nice park for a short stay.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Just about Every small town in KS.and just about all the high plains states Has a motel with rv parking for harvest crews and transient workers. Many have a city camp with some hookups with free to honor payment. Often you won't find these online.
A call to the town Chamber of Commerce or city ( sic ) will ease your concerns. Guide you to all the options. Even ballfields, county fairgrounds are great and welcoming places to stopfor a while
DODGE CITY is my home town, since we left KS. In 1974 many

ears ago, we return at least twice a year winter and summer mostly by rv as our families are in every corner.
The plains states away from the cities and attractions and interstate highways are a treasure trove of easy and welcoming low cost adventure.
We know dozens of city, county, historic and scenic turnouts , ,private rv parking sites from TX. Hill Country to Sask. & Mb. For free or small fee by experience in my career as a KS farmer harvester, pipeliner then camp owner become snowbird.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the help. Tomorrow I'm going to add them to my map then figure my distances. I only run between 150 to 200 miles per day an see what works. Being retired makes our cross country trips much easier.
Again Thanks.
DW and I really enjoyed the blog photos. We will be sure to say Hello to Mat and Kitty or you when we visit the Long Branch!!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thom02099 wrote:
I can recommend Lovewell Lake State Park as well as Prairie Dog State Park along US36. Stayed at Lovewell Lake on a trip back east headed eastbound. It's 10 miles north and 4 miles east from US 36, easy to get to with signs for directions. Lovely location on the lake amongst large cottonwood trees. Stayed at Prairie Dog SP headed back westbound to Colorado. Just a bit off the highway, there's several different loops with a variety of hookups available. Super nice SP, we stayed in a brand new loop with a great view of Keith Sebelius Lake to the south of the campground.

H E R E - KS State Parks is the website that we used to locate these state parks. No reservations made in either direction, just was able to arrive on a Sunday and get a spot with no problems. Highly recommend these state parks.

In a post above, it was mentioned about Long Branch State Park in Missouri. I can second that poster's recommendation, a great location and wonderful state park off the highway a bit, but easy to get to. Another place we stayed with no reservations. All of these trips were in mid-July time frame.

We camped at 2 Kansas state parks (Lake Scott, Wilson), & a COE park called West Rolling Hills on Milford Lake. All 3 were fantastic- Kansas seems very under rated to us, we enjoyed it.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Marysville Kansas has a town park. It has several spots where you can park and hook up to electric. 30 and 50 amp are available. It is free. They do accept donations.

Marysville City Park Camping

There is a rail yard close by. You will hear train noises at night. We stayed there in a tent. Might not be as bad if you are in a camper with the ac running.
If you look at it on Google maps street view you can go through the park and see what is there. Looks like there are some water hook ups also.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
US36 is a great alternate to I70. A little bit of this & a little bit of that in the small towns along the way.

Dodge City has two CGs. A KOA & another, basically an open field with services back a few blocks from the main drag.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can recommend Lovewell Lake State Park as well as Prairie Dog State Park along US36. Stayed at Lovewell Lake on a trip back east headed eastbound. It's 10 miles north and 4 miles east from US 36, easy to get to with signs for directions. Lovely location on the lake amongst large cottonwood trees. Stayed at Prairie Dog SP headed back westbound to Colorado. Just a bit off the highway, there's several different loops with a variety of hookups available. Super nice SP, we stayed in a brand new loop with a great view of Keith Sebelius Lake to the south of the campground.

H E R E - KS State Parks is the website that we used to locate these state parks. No reservations made in either direction, just was able to arrive on a Sunday and get a spot with no problems. Highly recommend these state parks.

In a post above, it was mentioned about Long Branch State Park in Missouri. I can second that poster's recommendation, a great location and wonderful state park off the highway a bit, but easy to get to. Another place we stayed with no reservations. All of these trips were in mid-July time frame.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wilson Lake SP and Minooka look good. I can head south on Rt 281 from Rt 36. As for the harvest, I'll make up a plan to work my way south and use roads like Rt 50 or Rt 400. I'm coming from the east so I have a lot of options. Boondocking is always on my table too. The two things I try to avoid are the interstates highways and big cities. We're not in any rush. Have 3 or 4 months planned for this trip.
Thanks, as always I appreciate your suggestions.
2020 JAYCO 26XD

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Mid July is wheat harvest time in no. KS. Camps will be full of harvest crews. Boon dock might be your best choice.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a bit south of US 36, closer to I-70, but Wilson State Park is a real gem out there. We booked 3 nights, ended up grabbing a 4th night. Just real peaceful & great views, good swimming. If you're not into state parks, near Wilson SP is a COE park called Minooka, which we visited and it looked pretty good as well.

I don't know how far along US36 you're going, but in Missouri near Macon is Long Branch SP, excellent as well. Safe travels!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to peruse the blog posting of our stop in 2016. I am sure some things have changed but that area doesn't really change that fast. Gunsmoke RV Park is also still open.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams