cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Reservations

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I just talked to a campground we were going to make a reservation at and this is what I was told. "We are a first come campground. Your reservation saves a spot in our campground for you. However, we do not guaranteed you can fit in the sites that are available when you show up. If you cannot fit in the available sites then you are out of luck."
Your reservation fee is not refundable.

Is this common? I have always had the ability to reserve a site I can fit in. Not necessarily the numbered site I want, but always one I can get fit into.
24 REPLIES 24

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar situation in Ventura. We were told that we could book and pay for the pull-through site, but if someone else came along and paid an extra $25.00, we would be bumped. We didn't stop there.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Lyle, the state parks do not want the host causing problems for the campers. On the first come first choice system, it is up to the head quarters to block out the larger rig sites until all of the larger rigs are in. As a host you do not make that decision.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Sure would be nice to know what campground it is

I could then scratch it off my list for sure
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:
We have run into the size issue in the past at a Texas State Park. had a reservation and get there and no site is big enough for our rig. Rig size was noted on the reservation, yet, the sites were taken on a first come basis. The larger sites were occupied by pop ups and tent campers. We had to go else where for a site, but after some fussing, we got a refund.

Why ask about rig size when they do not hold a site for a larger rig. Now Texas is moving to site specific reservations. This is not good as you find a site for a day or two and then you have to move. You cannot find a site open for a week to save your life.

It is getting so hard to get sites unless you book at least 6 months out, we are considering coming off the road and parking the rig. Too many people reserve and never show up and the site is wasted. As park volunteers, we have seen people turned away as all of the sites are reserved and the next morning, there are several vacant site due to no shows. The parks need to make a larger fee for a no show that does not cancel...like $50 to $100 for a no show.

Ken

That's where the on-site CG hosts are falling down on the job; they should =not= let tenters and pop-ups into spots that are way beyond their needs, especially when they know there are bigger rigs coming in that have reservations. If they do allow this to go on, then the refunds should be zero hassle. Again, if they have a size-specific reservation system, then they should =use= it or just go back to a first-come free-for-all.

I agree that there =should= be a no-show penalty that will make people sit up and pay attention if they don't use it. Yeah, sometimes you break down or otherwise can't make it, but that's just got to be chalked up to unavoidable expenses. Of course, a =courteous= camper would alert the CG that they're not going to make it but, sadly, courtesy has mostly gone by the wayside, and it's not all kids, either! :M

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
We have run into the size issue in the past at a Texas State Park. had a reservation and get there and no site is big enough for our rig. Rig size was noted on the reservation, yet, the sites were taken on a first come basis. The larger sites were occupied by pop ups and tent campers. We had to go else where for a site, but after some fussing, we got a refund.

Why ask about rig size when they do not hold a site for a larger rig. Now Texas is moving to site specific reservations. This is not good as you find a site for a day or two and then you have to move. You cannot find a site open for a week to save your life.

It is getting so hard to get sites unless you book at least 6 months out, we are considering coming off the road and parking the rig. Too many people reserve and never show up and the site is wasted. As park volunteers, we have seen people turned away as all of the sites are reserved and the next morning, there are several vacant site due to no shows. The parks need to make a larger fee for a no show that does not cancel...like $50 to $100 for a no show.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

NorthernNeck_VA
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would pass on that one.
Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.
2013 Landmark San Antonio
2016 F350
2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel (SOLD)
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW (SOLD)

"The amateur does it 'til he gets it right. But the expert does it until he can't get it wrong."

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
I sure as the devil would not do business with this place... with the increased number of folks doing the RV thing some places just donโ€™t care because they know the demand is there for a place to park a rig...

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
That's like a motel saying they have a room then when you get there, they say the only room is a single bed for a family of 4... AND keeping your money. NO WAY

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Merrykalia wrote:
I will say that most Virginia State Parks have this same policy, a non-site specific site, but unless you are HUGE, you will fit in almost all of their spots. It may take some maneuvering around, but the spot will fit you.

VA does guarantee you will. They do not leave size totally to chance.
THey are also implementing more site specific policies as well.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I told the park that I would look else where. That did faze them at all. I was surprised at the we will not keep a site big enough for you attitude.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Move on to another park plain and simple. We have camped at koa's , private camp grounds and state parks. I always make reservations by phone to ask questions. I use google earth ahead of time to pick out specific sites. Most often the person on the phone will ask me our TT length and discuss sites. I usually reserve 3 to 4 months out and have had no problem getting the site I want.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Some people expect the rig to fit also still hooked up to the camper. Some even think the boat should be able to remain hitched too. Just saying...

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
just so you know, it is Illegal for them to keep you money regardless of what their policy is. You cannot keep the money without providing a service or product. WOW! that they would even attempt it.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I will say that most Virginia State Parks have this same policy, a non-site specific site, but unless you are HUGE, you will fit in almost all of their spots. It may take some maneuvering around, but the spot will fit you.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW