cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground on I 81 Virginia

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a nice campground along I 81 near Roanoke? Something that will have a site for tomorrow night ( Saturday).
9 REPLIES 9

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Claytor Lake $40 for a pull through with water and electric. Thanks for the replys.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we have stayed at the natural bridge koa twice. once for a 2 night weekend stay, and last september a one night stay when we were returning on a long trip from niagara falls and pennsylvania. its a koa so rates will be reflected but had good experience both times. level gravel back in site with our 37ft TT. "lower" level part of campground seemed more level and big rig friendly.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've stayed at the KOA and at Dixie. The KOA is, well, a KOA. Seems that most of the sites are hilly,unlevel due to it's locations. Dixie is an older place, but OK for an overnight. Sites are flat/level. We took the cave tour once... not outstanding, but interesting. I think the guide was 12 years old.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie caverns has a campground and close to Roanoke
https://www.visitroanokeva.com/listings/dixie-caverns-campground/6224/

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Crackerbarrel in Christianburg
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Claytor Lake State Park just south of Blacksburg/Christiansburg is now open, not far from Roanoke. Right off of I-81 at Exit 101.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Those are the only two I know about. KOA is nicer, Dixie is cheaper.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't much right off of I81 near Roanoke. You could try the Natural Bridge/Lexington KOA about 35 miles north of the I581 junction at Roanoke or Dixie Caverns a little south of Roanoke. Dixie isn't great, but ok for an overnight. The KOA is pretty busy this time of year, but you might catch a break depending on your rig size.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might be a cracker barrel in the area.