cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buffalo Bill State Park

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! I planned our dream drip to the Black Hill and Badlands and have all my reservations made! Yay me! Bu now DH says since going all this way, might as well go to Yellowstone! But now, so late (going in July), im finding it hard to get a reservation, particularly Buffalo bill state park. They have sites that you can only reserve 2 weeks out, everything else is booked. Has anyone ever done this? I would hate to plan to go and then not be able to get a spot! I found some private campgrounds in Cody but havent tried them yet. Was really hoping to get in the state park.
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts
9 REPLIES 9

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Buffalo Bill has several walk in sites, however not all have electric.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
West of the state park, there are two federal camps with electricity and water. Wapiti campground and Rex Hale campground.
Or you can go through yellowstone to West Yellowstone and choose from several rv parks.

We stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone...very nice. Just a few miles to Yellowstone Park entrance. Just before the entrance is a great information center with lots of maps, etc. and Rangers to answer any questions.

The town of West Yellowstone has lots of neat little shops if you're into souvenirs...and the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center where you can see grizzlies and wolves up close.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
West of the state park, there are two federal camps with electricity and water. Wapiti campground and Rex Hale campground.
Or you can go through yellowstone to West Yellowstone and choose from several rv parks.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed a number of times at the Absaroka RV park in Cody on the Greybull highway. There is a number of RV parks in that area. Other parks on the west side of Cody also.

We didn't think too much of the BB SP. No amenities and many of the sites were just a wide spot in the park road. But, everyone to their own taste I guess
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rvnutts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid it was too late un less we got lucky on that 2 week window thing. Sure wish dh had thought of this earlier!
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
This late in the game you're gonna have a rough time finding a place to stay. We booked in Cody three months back and almost couldn't find an opening.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Which is more important? A certain campground or seeing Yellowstone and staying wherever you can find a site

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed several years ago out at Island Park, Idaho. In fact, we have stayed there on two different occasions: once at the Red Rock RV park which is a commercial campground with full hookups, the other time at Henry's Lake State Park. I can highly recommend both of them. It is about 20 miles into West Yellowstone, but the area is worth a visit. We enjoyed the drive in and back each day.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are unable to get a spot in the state park try Yellowstone Valley Inn & Rv Park. It is 16 miles west of Cody. We stayed there a few years ago and enjoyed it.