cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bryce Nat. Park, Glen Cyn. Nat. Rec. Area/ Badlands Nat. Pk.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
We leave the day after Easter for our annual spring trip. Which of the above should we do this year? We will do the other next year again departing the day after Easter which is 3 weeks later in 2019. Opinions please. Thank you.

Sherry
20 REPLIES 20

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.. it will be Utah this year and South Dakota next year with a later departure date.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Here's an excellent blog post from a gal who worked a season at Badlands Nat'l Park:

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2017/06/02/tips-for-visiting-badlands-national-park/

Interesting post, that was the year we last visited BNP, we arrived in late JUne and stayed thru the 4th of July in Scenic at the KOA. Which, and I am no KOA fan, was an excellent campground. We even watch the 4th fireworks in Scenic, which was put on by their volunteer Fire Dept, and it was a scene right out of the Keystone Kops. Very memorable, my oldest son had one firework hit the ground about 8 or 10 feet from him.

But yeah the park was green, a couple of weeks before they had record high temps IIRC, but it had cooled off to a more normal high in the upper 70's and lower 80's when we got there. So we had a great time.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
The private RV parks or campgrounds will usually not open until closer to Memorial Day because that is when the majority of tourists show up, it has nearly nothing to do with the weather.

By early April you may encounter snow, or even a snow storm, but they are really quite rare by that time of year, except up here in the northern Hills, which has a better chance, but the snow doesn't stick around long by that time of year here either. We have gotten some heavy snows into May, so it still pays to watch the weather and plan accordingly.

f you haven't been to South Dakota before, it would be worth while coming later in April and spend more time in the Black Hills, also don't forget about Wind Cave NP. You can see more animals there than the wildlife loop in Custer state park. I am not taking anything away from Custer SP, it is a national park caliber state park, I just prefer Wind Cave NP more because of the wildlife viewing and less crowded roads. There is much more to that park than the cave.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an excellent blog post from a gal who worked a season at Badlands Nat'l Park:

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2017/06/02/tips-for-visiting-badlands-national-park/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
The Badlands (and crossing any of South Dakota) may be a bit chancey for weather ealy in April. Daytime averages are in the 50's, nights around 30. But there is a pretty good chance of colder early in the month. And even some snow, but probably not much. The park campground opens April 1, but the also pretty nice nearby KOA doesn't open until April 28th. So gives a clue as to what the locals think the "season" is. Late April should be much better.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess that may be the difference, those who don't get out and explore and those who do. We found Badlands to be moderately interesting and well worth a few days of hiking. And the surrounding area is worth exploring too, Wall Drugs and at the time the Minuteman NM which was doing tours of one missile silo. I've heard that was stopped and don't understand the logic behind that. W/o the tour the NM is worth a 20 minute stop at most. There is also a National Grasslands and a Homestead NHS area.

The Black Hills has the two caves which we've been to. They are worth a visit but compared to the major caves: Mammoth and Carlsbad don't amount to a lot. Rushmore we were underwhelmed by, it will appear a LOT smaller than you are imagining right now, it will be packed with people, and the parking is an expensive PITA. They charge for parking even if you have a park pass BTW.

Crazy horse amounts to even less than Rushmore and was expensive on top of that.

Rapid City was of interest to us since they have a major mineral museum on the college campus and we are rockhounds.

But this all varies depending on what is your major interest. Lots of people really like Rushmore for example. But spending a week or more exploring the Black Hills makes no sense to us, but if you like Dollyworld it may be your spot.
Superbumper

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I am not an avid hiker. I will walk a mile or so on a decent trail to see something unusual (waterfall for instance) or a spectacular view. For me the Badlands was "one big erosion" (who forgot the silt fence) and with stops at three or four overlooks and a slow drive thru, I spent about all of two hours. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the scenery immensely, but I was ready to move on to the Black Hills.

The Black Hills is another story, I could have spent another week there exploring the area, I simply didn't have the luxury of time to see everything. I will get back there eventually.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
I think a late April/early May trip to the Badlands would be about right. Should be warm enough to hike and there should be lots of babies in the park. Just be prepared for changing weather. We have been to Bryce in late February and were able to do some of the trails so I would think April would have more open. Enjoy!

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Really????

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think any of us have a weather enabled crystal ball, so no one can tell you which year would be better for a park visit.
Superbumper

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
My bad. I guess I should have been more clear.
Maybe this is more of a weather issue. Would it be better to do Bryce early April this year and South Dakota late April next year or vice-a-versa?
We have done pretty all the national parks in Utah, some several times but Bryce only once and for too short a time.
Cold weather, snow is no problem, actually hoping for it.
We love to hike and explore 4x4 roads.
We do not plan on renting a boat at GCNRA.
Length of trip probably 3 or 4 weeks. Depends on how long I can fool DH into thinking we have only been there a day or so.
We have never been to South Dakota.

Sherry

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Since you appear to be the outdoors type this comment may not be as relevant; but I have found that going north before Memorial Day there are many museums and the like that are either closed or only open on certain days. This also applies to some RV parks.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know why Badlands NP would be out in April. If that area gets snow that time of year, it doesn't last long. Even up here in the northern Hills, snows aren't long lasting.

Just a little primer on our normal weather patterns. The Badlands are much more arid than the Black Hills. The southern Hills are much warmer and get less snow than the northern Hills. That is the reason all the snowmobile trails are here in the northern Hills.

Back on topic, All of the areas you are looking at are good, although I haven't been to Glen Canyon I have heard good things about it. I personally would choose Bryce, but I have an affection for that area. That being said, I do go camping at both Wind Cave and Badlands NP every year.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You've picked three very disconnected parks. Any reason that you wouldn't do more around the same area?

That time of year Badlands is out. Driving all that distance just to do Badlands?

Glen Canyon is nice to see but unless you rent a big boat there isn't that much to do except Antelope Canyon tour.

Bryce will be cold that early.

If you haven't been, I'd recommend Grand Canyon South Rim and Zion.

Arches NP would be another nice park for that time of year but check when the Jeep Jamboree is this year as it will be busy. From Arches you can check out Canyonlands and Monument Valley.

How much time do you have for the trip?

Lots of choices!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel