boondocker2012
Explorer
Explorer
we boondock mainly. TIA
10 REPLIES 10

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of USFS land in AZ (6 different National Forests). I think all have USFS campgrounds and dispersed camping. Do some googling. Head to higher elevation in the White Mountains or Northern AZ when weather gets too warm further south.

Also Maricopa County Parks are a nice option around the greater Phoenix area.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

boondocker2012
Explorer
Explorer
thank you

MarkTwain wrote:
First figure out how much is the top dollar you can afford to pay, weekly, monthly 3 months etc. What are the minimum amenities you might need. Summer months have more RV Parks availability due to the heat. Winter months are in high demand due to all the "snow Birders", especially the Canadians. I can not give you any input about boondocking as I don't boondock. Select the areas that appeal to you i.e. around Phonex, west of Phonex about 20miles. Tucson areas. Use Good Sam RV Parks book or use Good Sam RV parks internet application to begin searching and selecting RV parks. If possible, go visit parks you might be interested in before you make a final decision. Making reservations in advance is to your advantage during the winter months.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Desert around Quartzsite, AZ is quite popular. Can handle ANY size rig. We like the Road Runner area about 6 miles down 95 south of Quartzsite - access off La Paz road. BLM land free for at least two weeks before you're supposed to move a bit. Miles of land to find your spot....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
First figure out how much is the top dollar you can afford to pay, weekly, monthly 3 months etc. What are the minimum amenities you might need. Summer months have more RV Parks availability due to the heat. Winter months are in high demand due to all the "snow Birders", especially the Canadians. I can not give you any input about boondocking as I don't boondock. Select the areas that appeal to you i.e. around Phonex, west of Phonex about 20miles. Tucson areas. Use Good Sam RV Parks book or use Good Sam RV parks internet application to begin searching and selecting RV parks. If possible, go visit parks you might be interested in before you make a final decision. Making reservations in advance is to your advantage during the winter months.

boondocker2012
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
You probably need to narrow it down a bit.

not picky. lol any place in az is fine lol

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
tryfreecampsites.net - they have many boondocking sites listed. Just create a free account so you can see photos when included.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the boondocking places in AZ that are not big rig friendly is due less to the length and more to the road condition. Using plain old common sense when on an unimproved road is pretty much all that is needed to stay away from a problem area.

However, there is a universal Unfriendly Big Rig area in AZ and that is all the left lanes on all paved roads from Monday to Friday during the rush hour.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You probably need to narrow it down a bit.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many places for a big rig .Many Many Many all over the place.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not many trees to get in the way. AZ is a god state.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...