cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware!

moleary
Explorer
Explorer
We have been frequent visitors to Buena Vista Class A RV Resort in Orange Beach Alabama for several years. This is one of the nicest RV resorts we've every found. During our stays there, the management offered a special where for every 10 days you stayed at the Resort you got a free day that could be used at anytime. We had accumulated a few days and were planning on cashing them in this spring. When we called to make our reservations, the lady who we spoke with said they were under new management and were not honoring the the previous managements promotions. If they want to end the promotion, fine, but they should have honored those days already earned by their customers. While I feel this is a poor decision, it is perfectly within their right to so. But its also my right to publicly call them out. We were vocal cheerleaders for Buena Vista, recommending the resort to anyone we knew heading to Orange Beach. We will now use our voice to expose their poor business practices. Their are plenty of camping opportunities in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area. I will be taking my business to Bella Terra.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42 QD
ISL 450
25 REPLIES 25

michaelhebert19
Explorer
Explorer
This seems like a way to not run a business for sure. Kudos for speaking out.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
moleary wrote:
Orangebeacher, my better half just heard back from someone at Beuna Vista. I am happy to hear that you have reconsidered. I understand that the reservation records were lost during the transition making tracking the previous owner's promotion difficult. I appreciate your efforts and we will continue to patronize Buena Vista and share with others this positive outcome. Well done!

I suggest going back to your original post and editing the subject line to add "RESOLVED!" or something similar so other readers won't miss that the park stepped up and made it right.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As it has been resolved by the company and to the satisfaction of the OP, I think we can stop bashing the new owners.

Let's give them full marks for their handling of the situation and move on instead of keeping this thread alive and growing (which could create a negative image for the new owner that they don't deserve).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Ductape wrote:
Nonsense. Sale of a business includes all assets and liabilities unless specifically excluded.

Exactly! Buying a business involved doing ALL of your due-diligence to identify all aspects of the existing operating business.
Now if you were going to buy a building and tear it down and start a new business, that is different.
In this case, it appears that the new owners wanted to do a seamless purchase of an existing RV park and either they failed to do a complete examination of the existing business, and the way it was run, or they just didn't care.
Either way, the new owners could have handled things differently to maintain their loyal customer base, which is what they were probably hoping to do when they bought the business.
They are starting off with a "fail" in their new endeavor.
Actually, almost all business sales are "asset sales". The liabilities remain with the selling entity (most are paid at closing to eliminate any liens, UCC filings etc.). Only the assets transfer. In any sale I have been involved with, the name of the business in an asset, it is not the actual business. Like I previously posted, in every park I have purchased there have been some claims like "the previous owner said I could have my choice of sites forever, and get a 50 percent discount off the best rate because I am a great customer". Such a "liability" would never be found in any due diligence, and the new owner would not be required to honor any such claim.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad...it would have been easy enough for them to just give stay 6 get 7th free until you use up your "free" days. Sometimes owners can be short sighted in "hot" locations
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Many businesses have promotions with limitations such as expiry when the value is unused for a period of time. Prepaid phone and gift cards are prime examples. They are still bought even though there is no discount offered for prepayment.

Assets and liabilities are in a ' balance sheet' that should include any deposit made for a reservation or promise made for service to be provided. Should the seller omit or misrepresent a value or liability the buyer has no responsibility to honor it. The customers issue is with the previous operator if the new operator demonstrates de facto they had no knowledge of the liability.

My congratulations to this park, one weve visited, for addressing promises made while they sort out the issue.

There is always a clause determining a time limit on redemption of that promise, or refund of deposit within limits. All of you understand and accept these practices, likely even encourage them.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
In Michigan, if the new owner of a business keeps the old name, they are required by law to keep the old liabilities as well. I'd consider a loyalty program a liability. They would have to announce it's being phased out but still honor existing contracts.

If they did this to you, they could have done it to hundreds or thousands of other customers.

Contact your State's Attorneys General office and report it.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
orangebeacher wrote:
Moleary, I am sorry to hear of this misunderstanding. However I am happy to hear that Penny was able to return your call when she got back in the office and explain that with your documentation provided we would be happy to still honor your free night. As with any program with any business it is important to keep your own records in case things like happen, new management.
Dennis thank you for contacting our reservation host and notifying us of the review on RV.net. We never like to hear of anyone having issues here at Buena Vista RV Resort.

Great to hear this!

Sometimes talking to the right person at the business can do wonders. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

moleary
Explorer
Explorer
Orangebeacher, my better half just heard back from someone at Beuna Vista. I am happy to hear that you have reconsidered. I understand that the reservation records were lost during the transition making tracking the previous owner's promotion difficult. I appreciate your efforts and we will continue to patronize Buena Vista and share with others this positive outcome. Well done!
2012 Winnebago Tour 42 QD
ISL 450

orangebeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Moleary, I am sorry to hear of this misunderstanding. However I am happy to hear that Penny was able to return your call when she got back in the office and explain that with your documentation provided we would be happy to still honor your free night. As with any program with any business it is important to keep your own records in case things like happen, new management.
Dennis thank you for contacting our reservation host and notifying us of the review on RV.net. We never like to hear of anyone having issues here at Buena Vista RV Resort.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ductape wrote:
Nonsense. Sale of a business includes all assets and liabilities unless specifically excluded.

Exactly! Buying a business involved doing ALL of your due-diligence to identify all aspects of the existing operating business.
Now if you were going to buy a building and tear it down and start a new business, that is different.
In this case, it appears that the new owners wanted to do a seamless purchase of an existing RV park and either they failed to do a complete examination of the existing business, and the way it was run, or they just didn't care.
Either way, the new owners could have handled things differently to maintain their loyal customer base, which is what they were probably hoping to do when they bought the business.
They are starting off with a "fail" in their new endeavor.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I see this as a case of the original poster cutting off his nose to spite his face. By his own admission this is one of the nicest RVParks they have stayed at. I see nothing to indicate a change in that. By denying yourself the enjoyment of this park because of a few lost free days granted by a previous owner is not hurting anyone but yourself. What did you lose?.....the value of a couple tanks of gas?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any written record of the free 'nights' you have accumulated. I would expect you do not, so they no longer exist. I would also expect that the RV Resort has no record or accrual for these free visits either, so they no longer exist. You are complaining and trying to harm the wrong people. The new owners have NO obligation to honour these previous commitments to you unless you have something in writing.