cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back on the Fairy Stone Kick

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since Irma cancelled our Fairy Stone trip we want to give it another try with different timing.
Leaving St. Louis, MO and taking 2 to 3 weeks to get there and back including time there, maybe 3-4 days. Our latest window of opportunity is the last week of May (don't like traveling on holidays, but might) thru the entire month on June.
My questions about Fairy Stone are:
a) How's the summer heat/weather?
b) The crowds/site availability
c) Should we make reservations?
d) Which are the better sites? (every opinion is welcome) Our RV is only 22' with one slide so we should fit most anywhere it's level. Only need 30amp.
We plan to come in from a northern route and return home in a more southern route.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
5 REPLIES 5

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
if you get to Philpott early in the week say Monday Tuesday they usually have a couple of walk in sites available.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well we're heading to Fairy Stone SP again (since Irma detoured us last year). Leaving StL with 3 stops along our way and even reservations to boot. So guess what? Our first night is scheduled for just outside of Louisville, KY. Have you heard of tropical storm Alberto? Guess who's gonna be where when? Yep! Projected to hit that area Wednesday, the day we drive there. And then possibly trend eastward. Toward? Yep! Our destination.
Are packing our rain gear, several cans of adult beverages and ready to honker down at a camp site and pretend all is fine. At least we're on the road and will just make the best of it.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normally late May and early June aren't that hot, 80s maybe. With the weather showing its wild side this year I'm not so sure anymore.

KerrlakeRoo gave you a great plan. Definitely make the reservations. Perhaps with the higher gas prices not so many will be there but who knows? One thing I've learned from rving is to expect the unexpected. To me that's half the fun though.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice by kerrlakeRoo, Definitely make reservations, but as far as the COE CG's on Philpott, I wouldn't count on it as a backup plan, they have become nearly impossible to get a spot, unless you reserved it back in January.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
OK first off, love Fairy Stone, but we have only camped in a tent there in summer and two trips there in winter we rented a cabin. Schools in many Va counties now are letting out in mid to late May. They started the school year in August and are closing early, so I would look at reservations in June. Campsites with W/E are marked on the reservation system map with reserve america. They are not waterfront, thats all cabins in this park.
Coming in from the North, If you can, try to time it to stay in Floyd on Sat night if you like Bluegrass music, and from there its a short run to Fairy Stone the next day. Also if Fairystone is booked up Philpott Lake is a COE lake with camping also and is only a few miles away.
Temps can be warm in June, and the campground is well wooded so breezes may be hard to find. Temps can hit 90 in early June but generally it's not oppressive that early in the summer.