cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A tale of two campgrounds

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Due to my wifes death, I recently had to spend extended time in Tennessee. On our way west, we decided to stop at Natchez Trace State park. We only expected W&E, but ended up with a FHU site. The park was relatively spacious and had nice open areas around all of the camping loops. Then we moved to our destination park, Meeman Shelby Forest state park. W&E sites, which we expected, but they were so old that the soil next to the asphalt pad was eroded away about 14 inches around the parking pad. No cell service, (which I understand is not their fault, but being only 20 miles from a large city it was a shock) narrow roads entering and a lot of new scratches because trees had not been trimmed.
The rangers and staff at Shelby forest were great, we needed to extend our stay and they worked with us, to accomadate us.
But the conditions at the two parks were starkly different. Being close to the state capitol, and in full public view of the politicians made for a wonderful park at Natchez Trace, being hidden in north Shelby county landed that park with little to no upgrades since the CCC workers built it 60+ years ago.
12 REPLIES 12

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
One was a forest, are you upset because there was too many trees in the forest or it wasn't all paved.

That is not at all what the OP said or meant. But if it makes you feel better about yourself.....

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
My sincere condolences on your loss. My wife and I went to Natchez for the first time back in August and we loved the park. The spacious sites and full hookups at most sites is a luxury in state parks. We spent 2 weeks there and we were one of 2 to 3 trailers in our loop until the weekend then it filled up and then were gone on Sunday. Cell service sucks there and there is no WiFi in the CG but the lodge has it.....and a buffet restaurant too. I would love to see them upgrade the CG to have WiFi.

I am originally from Michigan and while their state parks are nice they don't hold a candle to Tennessee state parks. I love them and I have found most to be very nice. I've never been to Shelby Forest SP but I'm not so sure I would attribute the difference in conditions to the proximity to Nashville, 100 miles East. I've been to several others here in Middle and East Tennessee that I think are very nice also and Warriors Path was quite nice when we went there, tight but nice. They need to put in more full hookup sites though in all the state parks. The state keeps improving the parks every year but can't do all of them all at once.

The beauty of RVing is having wheels to go see other places. Some states value their state parks and others don't so much. It shows their priorities I think.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
On our trip to Texas, we stayed at Natchez Trace and Warriors Path both Tennesse State parks. Natchez Trace was much nicer but that seemed to be because of the location of the park.Warriors Path was ok but not as scenic.

dedmiston
K Charles wrote:
One was a forest, are you upset because there was too many trees in the forest or it wasn't all paved.

Ouch.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes it's more about the clientele they attract or want to attract.

Natchez may cater to a more "RV crowd" - those wanting a more groomed atmosphere, while Shelby may cater to a more "basic crowd".

It could also simply be that in order to widen the roads, and repair the campground erosion, etc, at Shelby, they would need to cut away some forest growth and they don't want to do that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brother: you have our condolences and our prayers in the loss of your wife.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

Ouch, kind of a snarky response.

He indicated the trees weren't trimmed, but wasn't complaining about the existence of the trees.

Also, he wasn't expecting pavement, but just better maintenance of the existing property.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Shelby forest was fully booked both weekends and around 40-50% during the week. For September usage, that seems pretty active. Natchez Trace on a Sunday was no more active, but I was only there the one night.
What was a little odd it seemed to me was the number of car campers each night. Singles or couples who came in, unloaded their cars onto the picnic tables, covered them with a tarp or plastic, slept in the car and packed up the next morning. Even saw a couple of car/suv's pulling u-haul trailers do it. Guess some folks are still shy on the idea of motel rooms with coronacrud.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
May your wife rest in peace and your heart heal as best it can.
Puma 30RKSS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
The budget runs everything in government, hence the income from the parks determines the budget.....

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be because of heavier use in one than the other?