cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30' class C through Cade's Cove

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been through Great Smoky Mt Nat Park since the late 70s, and was watching some videos of the Cades Cove loop-the road looked pretty narrow with fairly low tree branches. Can I take a 30' Class C (11' high)through the loop without problems? We're not taking a toad, so it's the RV or nothing. If it's a problem we'll just bypass it and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway-do Cades cove another time. Anybody driven their MH through Cades cove? Thanks, Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL
10 REPLIES 10

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Made it back home in one piece with no battlescars on the MH. Cades cove loop was a little close in a few places, but had asked a ranger before driving it. He said occasionally there is a tour bus that goes through, while raising his eyebrows a little. The only problem we had was at a bear jam where everyone just parked along the road and there wasn't enough room for me to get through. Just sat there and watched the bears. But what was more entertaining was watching the people go nuts over seeing a bear :R . Then we hit US441 through the park to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Wow, there are some nasty pulls and downgrades on the southern part. Stopped at MT Mitchell. Got off the parkway at Linville Falls-DW needed hookups for a couple days-was tired of the generator and needed a long hot shower. Stayed at Linville Falls CG, just off the parkway. Have to give them a plug. Would definitely stay there again!! Bathrooms were nicer and cleaner than the ones in my house-and DW is a clean freak! Great place to stay! Back on the parkway, next night camped beside Chris & Dave(?) fulltimers from Massachusettes. Loved hearing their story. Then back up the parkway toward home. Spent the night at Rocky Gap SP in Maryland and listened to the rain, bad storms all around but slept great. Gary

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Been a little while since we have been on the loop but as I recall overhead clearance should be OK and the loop road itself is one way so it would accommodate an 8ft. wide vehicle. Best advice is to call the park and speak with a ranger and ask them. As far as camping in the RV park there you are at the max length. Sites are no hook-up. and can be tight. Nice place though as National Park campgrounds go.

Enter through the Townsend entrance with your size vehicle. East to west is easier than west to east on river road though. Some sharp turns and rock outcroppings could be an issue.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Was their a couple years ago and don't recall seeing a single Moho on the loop.
I would just take your towed with you. I don't leave home without mine no matter the distance we are traveling.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
If possible and your health permits it, The best way to see Cadeโ€™s Cove is by bicycle on Wednesday or Saturday morning when the loop is closed to traffic. They rent bikes at the trading center at the start of the loop. Here is their info: http://cadescovetrading.com/bikes/

This is the best way and you are more likely to see all kinds of wildlife, including bears.

Also, I wouldnโ€™t take that motor home on the loop. Too narrow, twisty and tree covered for something that big.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't tried cades Cove lately but last time we went there we were in a 37' fiver. Sites that could accommodate us were few and far between. I appeared that the limitation was intentional. Sites were made difficult to enter by trees or huge rocks and the roadways were narrow, adding to the difficulty of positioning the fifth wheel.

I now camp in a 40' motorhome and Cades Cove is not even on my radar, although we loved the park aside from the limitations.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
To me it would be a little scarey. Afraid my rear end might drag on some of the hills following low dips. I wouldn't.
Jayco-noslide

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Call the park Rangers they may be able to help u. Have saw moter homes in the campground. Not sure they drove the loop or not

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
routeforty wrote:
Haven't been through Great Smoky Mt Nat Park since the late 70s, and was watching some videos of the Cades Cove loop-the road looked pretty narrow with fairly low tree branches. Can I take a 30' Class C (11' high)through the loop without problems? We're not taking a toad, so it's the RV or nothing. If it's a problem we'll just bypass it and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway-do Cades cove another time. Anybody driven their MH through Cades cove? Thanks, Gary

That is why I never leave home without the toad. There are also areas in the park where the rock comes right to the pavement and is cut back so a car or truck won't drag the mirrors. The problem is it overhangs the road up about 10-18 ft.:B You end up in the outher lane on blind corners/curves.
Why not take the toad?
Bill
Just don't want to take it with us. Don't plan on being gone that long or being any place where we will need it. Was just planning on doing the Parkway and Skyline Drive but thought since we're that close maybe just hit Cade's Cove. I've been through it many times-years ago-DW doesn't care if we go through it or not; it's a brand new MH and I sure would hate to put a rock scrape down the side or a tree branch through the roof. Gary

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
routeforty wrote:

That is why I never leave home without the toad. There are also areas in the park where the rock comes right to the pavement and is cut back so a car or truck won't drag the mirrors. The problem is it overhangs the road up about 10-18 ft.:B You end up in the outher lane on blind corners/curves.
Why not take the toad?
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen rental Class C's in the shorter length, maybe 25-26 feet. I have never seen one as large as 30'.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog