cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$199 Monthly Special

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Winter Texan numbers have been down this year in the Rio Grande Valley. A number of RV Parks are running a special, $199 for a month if you are a first time customer. The park I am at is part of Encore and is running this special. Gas here is $1.43 a gal. Diesel is $1.75. With the price of fuel and lot rents so cheap even the Canadian Loonie is going a long way here.

If you have been on the fence about leaving home now is the time to come.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy
41 REPLIES 41

JimKolek
Explorer
Explorer

What are you monthly rates 50 Amp hook up, water, maybe cable. May or June 24

Not sure if you are aware but this post is 8 years old. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
daboy wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Glad I got to enjoy the last dozen years. It is dangerous for children (and us retirees) to walk and play in the parks already.

??? Because of crime or traffic?

It was a joke. These old drivers scare me. A ten mph speed limit is for the other guy. Sorry, jokes don't work well on here.

daboy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Glad I got to enjoy the last dozen years. It is dangerous for children (and us retirees) to walk and play in the parks already.

??? Because of crime or traffic?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Some RGV parks are making the decision to allow working families since the retirees are not filling but about three fourths of the available RV spaces. As that trend continues, the number of retirees will decline even faster. Glad I got to enjoy the last dozen years. It is dangerous for children (and us retirees) to walk and play in the parks already.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
alfredmay wrote:
daboy,

These places do not have the birthday police. The idea is that the residents are adults without children living with them. Children are usually allowed to visit for a few weeks and I seem them in my park on a regular basis.
Agree. Though the policy is also in place to assure the park that they don't become filled with people banging out a 9-5 living. The over 55 parks are looking for retirees and all that does and does not come with that. One thing that doesn't come is numerous guests from outside the property, which wouldn't be the case if the park was occupied with numerous locals with jobs who were looking for cheap digs.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
daboy,

I would equate the policy in effect as "don't ask, don't tell". My suggestion is to try one of the nicer Encore parks. If you wind up in the newest section of Victoria Palms you will have plenty of room for a 40 footer with 5 slides. The absolute largest sites here are 35 ft wide and 120 ft long.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
daboy wrote:
alfredmay wrote:
daboy,

These places do not have the birthday police. The idea is that the residents are adults without children living with them. Children are usually allowed to visit for a few weeks and I seem them in my park on a regular basis.

That's good to know. Thank you alfredmay. As a newbie when these websites have an age posted I take it as a enforced rule that would be checked upon booking. Therefore I don't even check into them thinking we could not stay there.

If you're a 50'ish couple with no kids, or aggressive/obnoxious dogs they would welcome you with open arms. What you may find out is after a short time in the park you will want to move on.

Currently I'm using the Encore $99/week special to finish up some business before heading north. The RV sites in this older RGV Encore park are setup for RV's during the days of non-slides, and no cable TV. It's best days are behind it without a major redo.

Most residents are very friendly, in there 70's, have park models from fairly new (late 90's early 2000's) to maybe the late 70's? The activities are what you would expect, from bobbing in the pool in small groups visiting, to playing shuffleboard with just about everything thrown in between. Big St. Patrick party is the current thing to look forward to.

As I looked out my rigs window I told the DW a place like this would drive me crazy after a week. I think what we are seeing is a paradigm shift in snowbirding. No longer just sitting in one spot all winter, in what most baby boomers would call by todays privileged expectations a "tin can" waiting for spring to return to the north.

I think most young baby boomers are more interested in staying mobile and active and not settling into a retirement park and seeing their ultimate destiny all around them. Just like video rental stores, I fear the glory days of retirement parks are behind them. What was wonderful for the three bedroom 2 bathroom ranch home WWII generation isn't going to continue into the future for the next generation who rebelled against all of that.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Five or ten years ago, there were complaints about people under the age limits. Not today, not here anyway.

daboy
Explorer
Explorer
alfredmay wrote:
daboy,

That's good to know. Thank you alfredmay. As a newbie when these websites have an age posted I take it as a enforced rule that would be checked upon booking. Therefore I don't even check into them thinking we could not stay there.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
daboy,

Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

daboy
Explorer
Explorer
I see these places and think, I would like to spend my winter vacation there. But after checking out there website I see I can not. At 52 I am not "qualified" to stay there. Just have to see what the next 3-5 years brings I guess.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good deals in the RGV. This park has three months for $595 or $1,075.00 We have all the usual amenities including an air rifle range and two RC race car tracks. There is a reason that some of the high end parks are only half full this season. They are like aging beauties, not as attractive as they once were.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
alfredmay wrote:
Chuck,

The $199 special is not being advertised now. Right now the push is to get people to reserve for next season before they leave. A few have already gone north and most start leaving right after St Patrick's day.

The special was for one month only. The idea was to get people in the door to see the park and decide to return next season at regular rates.

This is not your typical $350 a month RV Park. They do exist here but this is not one of them.

Thank You.. I am new at this... and this winter I am spending 500 per month.. 3 1/2 months.

I will be heading home in 1 week.

just collecting ideas and WHERE to go visit.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

I see one park in RGV that is still advertising this on their website:

RVer's SPECIAL
6 months for $675
ANY SITE
Pay for 2 months
and get 4 MONTHS FREE!

Includes FREE WIFI, Water, Sewer
Trash and Mowing.
Does not include Electric
(1st Timers Only, If you have not been to the park for the past 12 months)
1999 Itasca Sunrise