cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

180 Day Window Opening

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you/us that are chomping at the bits, ready to start making reservations for the 2019 season (raises hand), you may be wondering about the 180 day window in which to make reservations at certain locales (USFS, some National Parks, etc). For Memorial Day weekend 2019, figuring May 24th-27th, the window to reserve is....

NOVEMBER 25TH, 2018 !!

Get up bright and early and get ready for "Reservation Season" !!!

You can calculate the rest of the season from this starting point date.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
14 REPLIES 14

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck if you plan to use Recreation.gov!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK. So I stand corrected! Mea Culpa!

I tried to make reservations today for several locations. On one of them, I finally got an indication that the window for reservations for the date I wanted -- exactly 180 days from 11.18.18 -- would not open until 11.19.18!

None of the others gave me any indication, but I did note that, for the weekend of 05.17.19, which is a Friday, the SEASON does not open until 05.19.19. Later openings this coming year than for 2018.

So...For Memorial Day weekend, it looks like, even though the window is November 25th for reservations, it may actually be the 26th instead. Here's your dice...now give them a roll...:S

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
As most of you know I have / was always a Reservation Guy. Why? I want to get to a destination, know the campground I am in, know I have a spot I / we can get settled in and start enjoying why we are there. And not thrown into the last spot next to the dump station. And not spending that time driving from rv park to rv park trying to find an opening - and then, many times, at a place I would not want to stay because it is the only place with openings - with probably a reason for that.

You know I also do a lot of photography so I am prone to be doing it in prime times.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:
For those of you that don't/aren't making reservations...Good on you! That means I don't have to compete with you ๐Ÿ˜‰

But here in Colorado, and in particular northern Colorado, for us weekend warriors (I'm not completely retired so I can only do weekends), reservations are a necessity. Last year for Moraine Park in Rocky, I was up early on the window opening date that I wanted, and I STILL only got my 3rd choice of spots.

When the season runs from just before Memorial Day to just after Labour Day as it is here, the competition is always keen for spots, any spots. And for prime spots it's even tougher. No, it's not right. Yes, it is reality. The information was provided for those who actually need and/or want it.

Personally, when I was working full time, I LOVED having Sun/Mon/Tue as days off -- perfect for going camping and NOT needing reservations. Go up on Sunday, arrive around 2pm, everyone else has gone back home. NO ONE around on a Monday or Tuesday. Loved it! Can't wait to fully retire and do that again. Until then, I'm a reservation junkie.

Thom,

As usual your info is to the Point and is Extremely Useful to the forum members.

Hoping you understand that I was not disagreeing with you, just poking a little fun at the state of affairs in Colorado - As it is truly difficult to camp on a weekend in a Good Campground - Namely a State Park.

I apologize to all, if this ran against your grain, as the State of Colorado, is IMHO just one Big State/National Park, and there should be many more opportunities for the Residents and Visitors to have Camping spaces available.

Just got back from a week - had to Fly and stayed in a House - so did not have any issue ๐Ÿ™‚

Just one more reason to Love Colorado;

No worries, Bill...I knew you had tongue firmly in cheek :W

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we stay at a combination of private campgrounds and state parks mainly in nc, sc, and virginia. i usually don't book out more than a month or so but when we take the TT and pontoon boat to campgrounds on lakes such as kerr lake state park nc, i have booked out 9 or 10 months ahead to get our favorite sites that are waterfront so we can pull pontoon up on shore during the time we are there.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
For those of you that don't/aren't making reservations...Good on you! That means I don't have to compete with you ๐Ÿ˜‰

But here in Colorado, and in particular northern Colorado, for us weekend warriors (I'm not completely retired so I can only do weekends), reservations are a necessity. Last year for Moraine Park in Rocky, I was up early on the window opening date that I wanted, and I STILL only got my 3rd choice of spots.

When the season runs from just before Memorial Day to just after Labour Day as it is here, the competition is always keen for spots, any spots. And for prime spots it's even tougher. No, it's not right. Yes, it is reality. The information was provided for those who actually need and/or want it.

Personally, when I was working full time, I LOVED having Sun/Mon/Tue as days off -- perfect for going camping and NOT needing reservations. Go up on Sunday, arrive around 2pm, everyone else has gone back home. NO ONE around on a Monday or Tuesday. Loved it! Can't wait to fully retire and do that again. Until then, I'm a reservation junkie.

Thom,

As usual your info is to the Point and is Extremely Useful to the forum members.

Hoping you understand that I was not disagreeing with you, just poking a little fun at the state of affairs in Colorado - As it is truly difficult to camp on a weekend in a Good Campground - Namely a State Park.

I apologize to all, if this ran against your grain, as the State of Colorado, is IMHO just one Big State/National Park, and there should be many more opportunities for the Residents and Visitors to have Camping spaces available.

Just got back from a week - had to Fly and stayed in a House - so did not have any issue ๐Ÿ™‚

Just one more reason to Love Colorado;

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I've made advanced reservations at the beginning of a window exactly once. I wanted to be at a county park in Lake Worth FL for Thanksgiving with my brother. The window opened at 156 days.

Since then, I've never had to reserve more than 2 weeks in advance. Did I not get to go somewhere I wanted because it was full? Sure. But I'm sure it would have been less-fun with all those people there anyway.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have traveled for 8 yrs full-time and have only had 1 time that there was not a park with space available, and that was an area in Tn with only 2 small parks. We don't make reservations, but are usually sitting longer term somewhere when there is a holiday. We don't travel or look for sites then. From MI which has a shorter season like CO -- state parks are always full - we don't go to them, we also avoid parks with more than 50 sites if possible.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
All the people who say they don't need reservations clearly don't live in Colorado!

I need to get our trips planned out. We don't camp a ton here in CO because it's so crowded ๐Ÿ˜ž
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
State parks vary quite a bit for reservation windows. NY for instance has a 9 month window, while FL has an 11 month window, and GA has a 13 month window. We do make reservations well ahead during busy seasons and when we have specific site preferences, and hitting them the instant the window opens gives us the best shot at getting what and where we want. Our Jan-April "southern tour" of GA, FL, and NC state and national parks is fully booked with the exception of a few flexible overnights, and our July 4th week park and site preference is booked in NY, with Labor Day week on the calendar for booking at the end of the month. In between, we'll wing it with booking no more than a few days ahead with a few private sites that need no reservations filling in the gaps.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
For those of you/us that are chomping at the bits, ready to start making reservations for the 2019 season (raises hand), you may be wondering about the 180 day window in which to make reservations at certain locales (USFS, some National Parks, etc). For Memorial Day weekend 2019, figuring May 24th-27th, the window to reserve is....

NOVEMBER 25TH, 2018 !!

Get up bright and early and get ready for "Reservation Season" !!!

You can calculate the rest of the season from this starting point date.

Come on Thom - you don't need to make reservations this early!

We don't even start to Look thill 2:00 in the afternoon when Traveling ๐Ÿ™‚

As My old Friend Yogi would say,

"No one goes there nowadays, itโ€™s too crowded.

or

It gets late early out here."

Wish I knew where I'd be Tomorrow:)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to worry about competing with me for a site anywhere over the 30th, 4th or Labor Day.
I agree with ppine, if you need reservations more than a few days in advance I probably won't be going to that site.

Enjoy hunting during 'Reservation Season', it's just not for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the most part I avoid any place that requires reservations more than about 3 days in advance. I make an exception for things like a music festival.

I just came back from Yosemite for instance. We went after the reservation system was closed for the year. Glorious fall weather, fall colors and great people because the shorts and ice cream crowd was at home.

The only camping I do now in July and August is boondock camping with the RV or backcountry trips with no one around.