Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone from Mt. Rushmore

Frozen001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We are considering a trip that includes Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. We will be coming from upstate NY, so it looks like the east entrance might be the “best” way. How is that route getting into the park? We will be traveling with a crew cab diesel and a 36’ tow behind.
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.6l Duramax
2019 Grand Design 3170BH

2-Crazy Red Heads, an patient wife and me.
12 REPLIES 12

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
16 and 14 over the Bighorns are both tough, but doable with your rig. Avoid 14A...it is not called the Oh MY God hill for nothing. LOL
16 has several campgrounds along the way and a dump station up near the top of the Pass.
There is a nice little rv park on the west end of Ten Sleep.
Out of Cody, there are several rv parks and federal campgrounds. Two of the fed Camps have electricity. Wapiti and Rex Hale.
I advise against entrance to Yellowstone via northeast gate. The approaches are stunningly beautiful, but you won't see much of it because you'll be looking at the road if you're pulling your rig.

We stayed at both Rex Hale and Wapiti. Both very nice, with one huge caveat. We picked up a pack rat at Rex Hale and to no avail, could not get rid of it until we got home two weeks later. By that time it had done plenty of damage in our basement, but we now know how to solve it next time should we be aware of an intruder!!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
16 and 14 over the Bighorns are both tough, but doable with your rig. Avoid 14A...it is not called the Oh MY God hill for nothing. LOL
16 has several campgrounds along the way and a dump station up near the top of the Pass.
There is a nice little rv park on the west end of Ten Sleep.
Out of Cody, there are several rv parks and federal campgrounds. Two of the fed Camps have electricity. Wapiti and Rex Hale.
I advise against entrance to Yellowstone via northeast gate. The approaches are stunningly beautiful, but you won't see much of it because you'll be looking at the road if you're pulling your rig.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The entrance to the park is a climb but nothing bad. Going over the Big Horn mountains on the way thru is the worst of the drive but certainly doable if you aren't underpowered.

Alternatively, you could swing way to the north to loop around the Big Horns.

or inexperienced with mountain driving. We first drove over the Bighorn's years back with our F250 V10 towing a 27 ft TT. Slow is the key here. Slow up and slow down. With a diesel and plenty of power, that should not be an issue.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Frozen001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Reading some information on line lead me to believe that 14 was going to be a "rough" drive, but a newer article said there have been improvements that have made it much better.
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.6l Duramax
2019 Grand Design 3170BH

2-Crazy Red Heads, an patient wife and me.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The entrance to the park is a climb but nothing bad. Going over the Big Horn mountains on the way thru is the worst of the drive but certainly doable if you aren't underpowered.

Alternatively, you could swing way to the north to loop around the Big Horns.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
Do yourself a favor and go in the park through RedLodge on the Beartooth highway. Take it slow and enjoy the views!

Yes, he should be able to do the Beartooth with his equipment, but I think a day-trip from Cody is better.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and go in the park through RedLodge on the Beartooth highway. Take it slow and enjoy the views!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
From I-90 I believe you want to take US 16 rather than US14 going to Cody. Or maybe some other route. I know 14 is a beautiful drive but steep and winding. Don’t know about 16 or other routes. Someone will likely come in and give better info.

I have done 14 and 16 with a 36 foot RV. You should not have any problems with either. I like 14 best. Your trip is once in a lifetime so see all you can!!!! Be sure to see the Grand Tetons NP.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
From I-90 I believe you want to take US 16 rather than US14 going to Cody. Or maybe some other route. I know 14 is a beautiful drive but steep and winding. Don’t know about 16 or other routes. Someone will likely come in and give better info.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Over night at Devils Tower NP.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Travel Photos

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Stop in or near Cody there are FS dry camping. Unhook the RV and take the Bear Tooth - 296 + 212 to Red Lodge for a day trip.

Travel Photos

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be coming through Cody, WY to the East Entrance. There is a climb, but with your diesel and 36', it is not an issue. It's a beautiful route.