cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wyoming into Utah

AKMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to travel from Rock Springs, Wyoming down into Utah. Looking to take Hwy 191. Has anyone traveled that route recently? We travel with a F350 long bed and a 40 ft 5th wheel.
7 REPLIES 7

AKMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information. We do not have exhaust brakes, so we will just have to gear down and take it slow.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Just been that route, weather was ****, fog, rain, sleet, and some snow. Really missed seeing the views but road is no problem, need good exhaust brake, take it easy and hope the weather is better for you than for us. It is very Mountainous.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
as stated the road has its ups and downs but the scenery is great and the asphalt is in good shape,take your time and you should be fine.
if you have time a visit to fantasy canyon outside of vernal it is a very interesting area

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we took the road from Flaming Gorge. Into Vernal .. Steep grade and a lot of switch backs. Our TV was a 2004. DODGE 2500 diesel, towing a 32 foot 5th wheel.. I just locked the auto trans. In second, gear went slow using the truck foot brake as lightly. ALl, went well just slow. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
ditto to the descent from Flaming Gorge down to Vernal. Take it slow and use your exhaust brake if you have one. Stop and take in the view when you can...it is spectacular.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven it several times, but not in the last couple of years. The up and down through Flaming Gorge has some steep descents and climbs. Some years US-191 has a better road surface and other years the state routes South from Green River are in better shape. The really steep descent with 10 switchbacks is on US-191 going South into Vernal, UT. Gear down early. I have walked the rig down the really steep sections in first and second gear. If you have an exhaust break make sure it is on.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t been on that section of 191 so no help there. I would suggest taking a look at the Allstays app. It shows multiple steep grades including one section with a 9% grade and breakaway ramp.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS