cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter RVing in the Rockies?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stumbled onto the Canadream site and found that they rent winterized Class C motorhomes for winter camping. It never crossed my mind that this was possible, but I guess it is! (There is no way I would take my own trailer into very cold conditions -- the underside is not enclosed or heated.)

So we are beginning our planning for next winter, and (of course) I have some questions:

I know that there are only a few full hookup campgrounds open in the winter. Will I need reservations? (We usually don't make reservations because it limits our spontaneity a little. But if I have to, I will.)

Are there places to rent "extreme" clothing, maybe in Calgary or Edmonton? I am hoping to spend some time outside at night, on the chance of seeing the Northern Lights. (We will schedule our trip for the dark of the moon to maximize the visibility of the aurora.)

If you have had any experience with the Canadream motorhomes, are they as well-equipped as the website seems to indicate?

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, and ideas!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
33 REPLIES 33

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The place I would really like to go is to the Yukon in winter -- Sue's photos are very enticing. But as far as I know, no one rents RVs in the winter up there, and it is too far to drive from Calgary or Edmonton in mid-winter, I think.

Fraserway RV in Whitehorse rents year-round.
http://www.fraserway.com/Rentals
They also have outlets in BC and Alberta.

We have camped at -40 temps, made two trips in a Class C from Vancouver Island to Yukon in December
http://yukonsights.ca/2001-12-15_AlaskaHwy.html
http://yukonsights.ca/1998-12-12_AlaskaHwy.html

We've also visited Liard Hotsprings in winter with the fifth wheel
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
An alternative..and having read your passionate accounts of your love for the stars...https://www.auroraborealisyukon.com/tours/aurora-tours

Gary Haupt

and a hint, it's not THE Yukon anymore..is is Yukon.
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the rv is properly winter capable you need power from ac hookup and/or generator and propane. It will keep the tanks thawed. My winter trailer - 30ft Roughneck - uses one pound of propane per hour at -35C overnight-20C daytime high. I keep a couple gallons of rv antifreeze on board in case some system has a failure requiring an emergency draining of fresh water and winterization.

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
We own a TripleE Grand Touring, it's suppose to be good for winter camping.
We used it in -10C weather, but I think thats about the limit.
I would not go out in colder weather.
Some dump stations were frozen solid.
Boon docked a few nights at this temp. also.
But it's not really comfy without being plugged into a power source.
I had to run the generator often.

The cold weather showed up by surprise and we did not expect it.
Was in october, on the Yellowhead Highway.
Also got 12 inches of snow.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonderfully useful feedback! Canadafan, your post is very encouraging -- you have actual experience with exactly the type of unit we were thinking about. It sounds like this is not impossible at all.

Gary, we are looking at the winter of 2018-2019 -- not exactly sure of the month. It depends on our family situation -- we are dealing with some elderly and infirm relatives, so we have to squeeze in our trips between medical emergencies. Not easy to do.

I will, of course, be extra-careful with driving in ice and snow -- I have some experience in the Sierras, but not as much as folks who live in Canada. The key is patience -- if a storm is forecast, wait it out till the roads are cleared.

The place I would really like to go is to the Yukon in winter -- Sue's photos are very enticing. But as far as I know, no one rents RVs in the winter up there, and it is too far to drive from Calgary or Edmonton in mid-winter, I think.

The other alternative is just to ditch the whole RV idea and then stay in an "aurora resort" in the Arctic. Less adventurous, but probably not much more expensive than renting an RV.

And I am well aware that traveling to see the aurora is a gamble -- often, there is nothing to see. That's ok. It is like some of the surf vacations we have taken -- we get to the beach, and the swell has died. That's just the way it goes.

Or when we go see a meteor shower (which we are doing next week, since the Geminids are on the 13th) -- we drive a long way, and sometimes it's cloudy when we get there. (That is what happened to us in Death Valley in 2013 -- we got snow instead of meteors.) Or we get smoked out by forest fires, which happened to us this summer at Mt. Rainier.

On the other hand, we got to see the eclipse in Idaho this summer, boondocking all by ourselves with a view of the Sawtooth Range. So sometimes the "travel gamble" works out ok.

One more thing -- Fulltimewanabe mentioned my "tuques," which I thought was an anatomical reference. Turns out it is a warm knit cap. Not only do we have several of those -- we also have Russian astrakhan hats and balaclava scarves and down parkas and snowboard pants and Sorel boots and polar fleece liners.

But I am assuming that if the weather at night is far below freezing, there are special Arctic outfits that would permit you to stay outside and watch the sky -- right??
About our trailer

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Dan..Because I was asking a bunch of questions that you would have then searched out the answers for...I found that if you go into the 'planning' feature on their website, there is provision for chat. So..I did and asked...the Maxi RV unit has all you need...generator, chains, proper tires....and has the Thermo windows for proper cabin insulation. I'd say you are set to go.

I didn't see a time frame in your post. How long you thinking of being on the winter road? And where?

You folks are used to being frugal with water so really, no issues there. You could just carry the 20? liter jugs of water for your living needs. Store them in the shower/tub.

Toss a couple cups of RV anti-freeze into the two tanks...hey presto..no freeze.

I think that your biggest concern should be the drive-a-bility of a C in icy, snowy road conditions. Man..they do suck.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be conservation minded. If the rig's batteries live in a cold compartment they offer much less capacity and take longer to charge.

Enjoy your trip

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
After 17 visits to AB & BC since 1988 all in rental RVs I think I may be able to help, at least with the RV question.
Of the big 3 rental organisations Canadream, Cruise Canada and Fraserway. Canadream is the only one offering fully operational winter rental RVs, but not their entire range. You will probably find that only the MHA and MHB have this option and a generator (unlike in the USA most Canadian rental RVs do not have generators).
CruiseCanada only has one model that has generator, the C30, likewise Fraserway with their most expensive model but neither of these is fully equipped for winter conditions (Fraserway can offer at extra cost, a portable generator for their smaller RVs.)
You will find that Canadream is the most expensive but they are good units, we have rented a winter equipped unit from them, in the spring.
On the subject of campgrounds, if you want FULL winter hook-ups these are few and far between, especially within easy travel distance of the Rockies and if you are interested in any shown on the Canadream website I would check them out direct to find out about facilities. Here are a couple that offer FULL services; In BC, Fernie RV Resort, IN AB, Springhill RV Park near Cochrane ( an easy drive to Banff) and possibly Clearwater Trading near Rocky Mountain House. others that offer power only in AB, Wapiti, Mount Kidd, McLean Creek, Tunnel Mtn, Beauvais Lake, Chain Lakes. In BC, Fort Steele, Camper Haven, NK'Mip.
You did not say how you would get to Canada, I assume you will fly, if so I would recommend that you rent additional 'personal kits' for improved nighttime warmth!.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Some very good advice Soup, especially about unserviced roads and sanidumps! May I add, that if "renting" an RV you question Canadadream extensively regarding the heating back up, plumbing, and other items they would need to supply. Most of us carry some form of additional heating, which in our case is a Buddy Heater, so as not to drain our batteries with the furnace running.

I would still add that even with the additional challenges of winter RVing in the Rockies or Foothills up here, if you have the right personality, it can be a wonderful experience and I for one have treasured memories of our doing so = even when the kids put their tongues on the metal handle into a hot tub and it froze stuck to it! Concerned at the time of event, but today a story along with many others around the dinner table.

FTW.

PS: Don't forget your Tuques!
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Don't count on seeing the aurora. If you want to research the potential at various locations check out this aurora forecast site http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/aurora

Some nights it is out for 10 minutes, then not visible any more.
Other nights it will be out for hours.
Many nights not visible at all.

Best to be in a spot with minimal light pollution.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This page, if you scroll down, lists links to provinces with year round campgrounds:

http://www.canadream.com/winter-rv-rentals/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Couple things you need to think about, not just in the Rockies. I see Canada dream rigs out in the winter, yesterday while loading up our snowmobiles after a day of ridding we saw a Motorhome with Florida license plates drive by us, so your not alone in your idea
Diving conditions are challenging in the winter and you need to be prepaid for that any where you travel. The hwy ( Ice Field Parkway) between Lake Louise and Jasper is considered a secondary hwy and is not a high priority when it comes to plowing sanding.
A few years back in the winter we left sister in laws place in Rocky Mountain House and took hwy 11 west across to where it comes out at Saskatchewan crossing. It had snowed the night before and from Norberg to Lake Louise there hadn’t been a snow plow / sand truck at all. We got to Lake Louise about 10:am and just as we got to the jct with Hwy 1 the sand truck was just staring up the ice field parkway. There are no services at all in the winter between Lake Louise and Jasper, including no cell service, and Saskatchewan Crossing service station is boarded up in the winter.
When winter driving make sure your flexible with driving times. Hwy Accidents, avalanche control and or just slow driving conditions can add hours or even days to your trip in the mountains in the winter.
Dump site ( sani dump) are few and far in between. I have looked before at Canada dream website and they do list sani dumps, however some of the sites that they list are not open in the winter. I would be checking beforehand to where you will be and make sure by either emailing or phoning the establishment that is suppling the sani dump site to make sure they are open. Last time I looked at their list they had a B.C. Provincial campground that is close in the winter by a gate and is under a few feet is snow in the winter.
You will need Power to run a heater in the RV. The heater in the RV operates on propane and requires power to run the fan. That fan can kill the battery in short order so I would hope that the rig you rent has more than one battery to run the living area of the RV and is totally separate from the battery that starts the RV engine.
As well to best conditions to see the northern lights are in northern areas of Canada and in areas where there are no mountains blocking your view. The Canadian Rockies your thinking of going to are not that far north. Clouds, fog and mountains can easily block your view, I’m not saying you won’t see the northern lights in the Rockies but going a lot farther north will give you better odds. We even see them the odd night way down here in south eastern BC, and we are only 30 minutes from the USA border with Canada , but going way up north will give you better odds.
Have you thought about flying to Whitehorse Yukon or Yellowknife NWT and book a Northern Lights tour?
I have seen on some of these northern light tour package sites that some of them supply warm clothing with their tour package.
Flying up north and staying there won’t be cheap, but if your wanting to see the northern lights that would be the place to go.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
While I'm not 100% certain I don't think any of the campgrounds in or around the national parks will have full hookups in the winter. I know Mount Kidd in Kananaskis only offers electrical in the winter and the last time I checked Tunnel Mountain trailer campground with full hookups isn't open in the winter, only tunnel mountain II which has only electrical. I don't think there are many sites open so I'd suggest reservations if possible just to be safe. You'll need warm clothes and the second hand places aren't a bad idea...a friend of mine somehow forgot some of his stuff and rented a ski jacket and pants last winter in Lake Louise and it was about $30 a day.
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on low cost second hand clothes at Value Village,,
place I shop almost exclusively,especialy for work clothes..

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great tips -- keep 'em coming -- thanks!
About our trailer