cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whitehorse-Dawson City-Tuktoyaktuk

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Started the trip on HWY-37 end of May-June and beginning of July 2019. We beat the crowd and bugs. Our objective was Dawson City and the Dempster hwy so pushed through to Dawson then take our time returning south.

Overnited at Waters Edge Campground just north of Dease Lake. No hookups or shower but clean sites and on the lake.
Next was Maziadin Lake Provincial campground. Great campground very well taken care of. Did a day trip down to Stewart-Hyder from there.

Next stop was Boya Lake Provincial campground which is a great stop but was busy when we were there and could not get a spot on the lake as usual.

We then pushed through to Whitehorse and stayed at Pioneer RV park full facilities and clean. There is parking close to the hwy which is noisy but there are sites farther back in the trees but not suitable for big rigs in the trees.

Only had a two night stay in Whitehorse then headed for Dawson City. On the way overnighted at Moose Creek government campground. No hookups and room for big rigs but may have to back in as only a few pull-throughs.

Dawson City, stayed at Bonanza Gold RV park, full facilities, clean. It is outside of the downtown core so will have to drive into town and is noisy being close to the hwy. Try for a spot farther back from the road. We left our trailer there in a non-hookup site when we travelled up the Dempster. There is an RV site right in town from which one could walk to facilities and there would be no noise there.
Lots to see and do. Diamond tooth Gerties for the show and if sitting near the front may get dragged onto the stage. Hit the bakery in the morning before all the good stuff is gone. Across the street from the main tourist centre is the North West Territories tourist centre which is a must-do for Dempster information, conditions, ferries.

The Dempster was mostly in very good condition and I had no tire issues. My truck had near new Michelin LT tires but I had two spares just in case, never used. The scenery on that road is just awesome. I would not recommend pulling a travel trailer mainly because the road is gravel and can be very very dusty. But if prepared for that, go for it. We stayed at Eagle Plains motel going up and back and a hotel in Inuvik, the Nova. If one is pulling a trailer and change your mind about taking it all the way to Inuvik it can be left at Eagle Plains. Eagle plains also has an RV park.

While in Inuvik go to the tourist centre, lots of information and displays. Hit Alestines restaurant, great food and very friendly. It's unique, the kitchen is in a bus but there is a building to eat inside or out on the deck.

We did a day trip to Tuk as its only 150 K away. They do have a small rv park. Went to Gramas for food and tried Muktuk, Beluga whale, an acquired taste for sure. Used french fries as a chaser.

The scenery on the Dempster is just awesome and standing in the very very cold arctic ocean is an experience especially as there was still ice when we were there. There are a couple of government campgrounds along the Dempster and lots of pullouts some with awesome scenery to overnight.

This is my short overview, and it was one great experience, go for it, spend the kid's inheritance.
6 REPLIES 6

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip, we are talking about going to Dawson City next summer but didn't want to do the Dempster HWY to protect the trailer - we may have to rethink that leg of the trip.
Thanks for the advice on stops too.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Yukon could be the most beautiful place in the world.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Watch out for the mountain goats along the area near Kluane NP. We rounded a corner on our way south, and saw a couple of small ones on the roadway, so we put on our 4-way flashers, pulled over, and stopped for a few minutes. No sooner did we stop, than a whole flock of them came down out of the roadside hills, and walked across and out into the flats beside the lake. About 50/50 split between adults and young ones. Luckily, it was early Sunday morning, and there was no traffic following us.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my way back to lower 48.
I decided to avoid campgrounds as they are often overpriced, while not offering much. Most of "I centre" offer free dump stations and water fill, when some Rest Areas offer much more than any campground.
This is one about 30 miles So from Whitehorse.
They have hiking trails and observation deck to see the lake.

This is stop at Kluane Lake

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice narrative. You must have some pictures too, right?
Cal

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Enjoyed your memories. We did Alaska but didn't do the Dempster. Very cool.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/