cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which route would be less higher grade

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of taking I 80 over Colorado but was thinking of maybe trying I 70 but heard that Hwy 50 might also be good, so my question is how is 50 over 70? Is 50 flatter over all and are there any large ups or downs? The downs get to me as I have had some scary moments in the past even though I was doing what is right I just don't feel comfortable on a steep or long down hill. I have done the grape vine a few times and that is not bad. Toyota Trundra 5.7 and a 22ft HiLo trailer about 5000 lbs fully loaded. Would love to hear from those that know the routes.
14 REPLIES 14

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
scottsnider wrote:
I was thinking of taking I 80 over Colorado but was thinking of maybe trying I 70 but heard that Hwy 50 might also be good, so my question is how is 50 over 70? Is 50 flatter over all and are there any large ups or downs? The downs get to me as I have had some scary moments in the past even though I was doing what is right I just don't feel comfortable on a steep or long down hill. I have done the grape vine a few times and that is not bad. Toyota Trundra 5.7 and a 22ft HiLo trailer about 5000 lbs fully loaded. Would love to hear from those that know the routes.

Point of note -- I-80 goes across Wyoming. I-70 for Colorado.

You don't mention direction of travel. I-80 across Wyoming has it's highest point just east of Laramie at ~9600 feet, and then down hill eastbound to Cheyenne. If going westbound, about 5 miles of descent down to Laramie.

Lots of rolling terrain from Laramie to points west. Depending on your direction of travel, you'll have generally head winds headed westbound, or tail winds headed eastbound. Your rig combo should compensate some for the winds as you have a lower profile than most travel trailers.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely I-80 is your best choice. Winds can be bad in Wyoming, but with your low profile trailer you'll be fine.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 may not have the grades but it can have some nasty winds across Wyoming. Can make towing a challenge if it's a cross wind. If it's a headwind, plan on some extra time and a lot of extra gas! Probably only driven this 50 times so it's the one I have the least experience with.

I-70 does have some long grades, especially if you are going east to west. Downhills on Vail Pass and the west side of the tunnel are both around 7 miles of 7% grade. But lots of RV's and trucks do this every year. Great scenery.

Monarch Pass on US 50 has a pretty long downhill >6% grade on the west side. Also, whether you come out of Denver on US 285 or up from Pueblo on US 50 (along the river so no passes there!), either route is much less of a pull than I-70 out of Denver to the tunnel. Likewise a scenic route.

To avoid Monarch Pass (westbound) you can take US 285 south out of Poncha Springs (Poncha Pass is easy). At Saguache, head west on CO 114 and connect back up with US 50 east of Gunnison. Reverse the directions if you're going west to east. A lot of extra miles just to avoid the downhill, but it is an option.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the concerns listed I recommend 70 over 50. But I have never driven 50, looks like a great drive to me but I don't worry about slow, winding, steep roads.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We did Hwy 50 from Dodge City, KS to Sacramento, CA last summer - Monarch Pass is a nice drive, but it can be a challenge for most RVs. Our 36 foot Workhorse Bounder, pulling a smart car, was able to maintain about 25 mph up to the top. My only regret is not stopping at the gift shop at the summit!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
This was working last time I tried.
Flattest Route
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have Google Earth, you can get an idea of the grades.

Ask for directions that include the route of interest, then right click and "show profile". It then shows the vertical profile along the bottom of the screen and as you slide the mouse along it, it lists out the % grade. We've found it to generally be pretty close to reality.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I70 would be my suggestion.
50 is a workout from Canon City to Salida. Bighorn Canyon is long, curvy, narrow, and crowded. Then Monarch Pass. The west side has a rapid descent which if I read you correctly, you will not like it. And they will run up your tail.

I70 has lanes. Same elevations but room to deal with it.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
50 is beautiful. Then there is this place called Monarch.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve travelled all three of those routes, one many more times than the other. I-80 has the fewest grades, I-70 a little more, and US 50 the most. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
whoops, double post
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
US 50 does go over Monarch Pass. Been many years but I donโ€™t think that is a bad pass.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 50 follows a river canyon. It is much a much slower climb and lower then I-70. Much more scenic. It is mostly two lane with curves.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
U.S. Highway 50 is beautiful and IMO trailer friendly but Monarch Pass is 11,312 feet.

h
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad