cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to camp to take in Bay of Fundy and Halifax NS

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at going to Bay of Fundy area and Figured might as well go to Halifax while there. Where would be a nice campground to go to? We like Wilderness style camping. Some where we can stay at one place and take in Halifax within and Hours drive. Looking at Fundy national park looks interesting.

Thanks

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[purple]2004 F250 CC 6.0LFX4. Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Trunion Dual cam 1700# bars. Rancho RS9000 shocks, SCT Tuner
[/purple]

2009 Cherokee Wolf Pack 30WP

40 REPLIES 40

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm here in Fort L, and came through the island by way of Baddeck. Gps now wants to take me back by Hwy #4, is that any good pulling 30'?

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[purple]2004 F250 CC 6.0LFX4. Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Trunion Dual cam 1700# bars. Rancho RS9000 shocks, SCT Tuner
[/purple]

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm here in Fort L, and came through the island by way of Baddeck. Gps now wants to take me back by Hwy #4, is that any good pulling 30'?

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[/purple]

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that it is open now! It was closed, locked up and looking quite forlorn when we stopped, with our mission for the day to visit it, yes, at Glace Bay. If there are locals paying attention to this site, I'd suggest they could post information about dates when it is open right on the building. Perhaps because it was September 17th, 2014, maybe it was closed for the summer. Another couple were also there, from the U.S. to look at what they had to offer.I'd be interested to see just what the building contained. Sorry if I've mislead anyone. I'm seeing more folks referring to Trip Advisor. Thank you.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
daveB110 wrote:

For those interested in the Marconi museum, don't bother. It has been closed and locked up for years, although from time to time you will come across old literature advertising it.

We visited the small Marconi National Historic Site at Glace Bay, NS in 2012, and there are several reviews of it dating from 2015 on Trip Advisor. So it was open last summer. Maybe you are referring to a different museum?

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
YZ, the Alexandre Bell Museum is surely still open and operational. It is of course, in Baddeck. One can still see a mansion, one of about ten built, where he had his summer compound, on a far hillside, right from town. Relatives mostly now live in the south, we were told. But down in town the Bell Museum is still going strong I am sure.

My comment was concerning the Marconi exhibit, near Sydney. It was long shut when we were there in September, 2014. Sorry if I didn't make the distinction clear enough. Cheers!

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
Not negative..but just surprised ! ..even shocked ?

Cape Breton is big into tourism and the bell museum is a huge draw. We tend not to tour our province every year ..we spend a lot of time in other provinces.. so it has been few years since we have been up there ..so I checked..I cannot find any info on it being shut down..

Perhaps it was being renovated ?

With so many excellent distilleries operating in this province (plus wineries/craft beer and cider), it may be time to do another loop.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
YZ is your post of April 9th directed for me? It sounds a bit negative and I'm wondering why, can you explain? What I will say, is that we visited Nova Scotia for a month in 2014, and had some good experiences I felt we could happily share. We loved visiting your province, our first trip east of Montreal. Every one has their own point of view, and I have mine from which I try only to pick positive experiences,as I've been doing on RV.Net for almost 12 years. Hope you will allow me that. An exception was the Marconi situation that we drove up from Baddeck to see, but found it locked and looking abandoned. Happy Trails!

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know where you are getting your info...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g499213-d183419-Reviews-Alexander_Graham_Bell_National_Historic_Site-Baddeck_Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scoti.html

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Not really sure if Louisburg is "Pet Friendly." This will be a tour, drive up and park, go to the office area to get on the bus, which drives over to the Fort and back, trips all day. You will catch it after your viewing, to return. The grounds are extensive, all planning based on old records. I would guess the Fort's entrance is about half a mile from the office.

For those interested in the Marconi museum, don't bother. It has been closed and locked up for years, although from time to time you will come across old literature advertising it.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent at least 4 hours at the Bell museum & could have spent longer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
How many hours should I set aside for The Alexander Graham Bell Museum? Could I do this on a drive by on our way to Mira River provincial park?

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[/purple]

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
So much to do in short time. Fortress Of Louisbourg I hear is a must on the list too. Pet friendly I wonder?

On edit Lol. Just read the whole post above this one

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[/purple]

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
While on Cape Breton, Beddeck, the "Cradle of Canadian Aviation" has the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. Inside is the old plane that is the first to fly in Canada, over the ice covered lake in front. As well, there is a hydrofoil that set a world speed record for boats, about 72 MPH, in the early 1920's. The life of the great Scottish inventor is well documented here.

Out on the Cabot Trail, one can stop at the Glenora Distillery for lunch and enjoy the music they have in the afternoons. They distill whiskey that resembles the Scotch of the Old Country. The 19 year old, if they still have it, was $300 a bottle while we were there in 2014, from the first year they distilled; a sampler of more recent, is much less.

Louisburg is a must visit, with a long history, but with new buildings than resemble the old fort the French used to guard the St.Lawerance for many decades before the English finally took the Fort.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
For a campground that is not too far out of the way to Pegggy's Cove, Lunenburg and even Halifax, Hubards is a choice we made. A small town, great farmers market, and a big restaurant that serves later in the evening as a dance hall, close by to the Campground.

We didn't do the Annapolis Valley, and visit the Fundy shore nearby, but saw the tidal area from the opposite shores, with a campground at Five Islands. This is all in Nova Scotia. Highest tides in the world are in that area. Farther down the road, Cape d'Or is a nice drive on a secondary road. The tidal race on outflow shows white water a mile out to sea, and a restaurant is now part of the lighthouse compound.