cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to camp to take in Bay of Fundy and Halifax NS

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at going to Bay of Fundy area and Figured might as well go to Halifax while there. Where would be a nice campground to go to? We like Wilderness style camping. Some where we can stay at one place and take in Halifax within and Hours drive. Looking at Fundy national park looks interesting.

Thanks

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[purple]2004 F250 CC 6.0LFX4. Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Trunion Dual cam 1700# bars. Rancho RS9000 shocks, SCT Tuner
[/purple]

2009 Cherokee Wolf Pack 30WP

40 REPLIES 40

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you have to define what the Cabot trail is. All our scenic routes are names something or other. For instance, on top of the Cabot trail, we have (not a complete list):

Ceilidh Trail
Bras d'Or Lakes Scenic Drive
Digby Neck and Islands
Evangeline Trail
Fleur-de-Lis Trail
Glooscap Trail
Lighthouse Route
Marconi Trail
Marine Drive
Sunrise Trail.

But you are looking for what everyone talks about ? That would be what is in the nation park.. I attached an image. Absolutely breathtaking scenery..especially when the colours begin to change..

The speed is really up to you. The last time I did it I stopped to each and do a few shops..I also followed off the trail to find several waterfalls. I parked myself at the end and then did the loop in a day.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re Cabot Trail, even doing a short northern loop is a full day by the time you stop, & actually get out of the vehicle to admire the view & take some pictures at the many viewpoints.

And no, don't even think about dragging your house behind you. Some of the hills are nasty.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't it go around the whole island? I mapped it and its over 500 KM, that seems like a long day with stops.

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[purple]2004 F250 CC 6.0LFX4. Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Trunion Dual cam 1700# bars. Rancho RS9000 shocks, SCT Tuner
[/purple]

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
You can drive the trail comfortably (and stop to sight see) in less than a day..

I wouldn't tow a rig around there..there are some steep hills ๐Ÿ™‚

YZ..

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
If we were to try and take in some of the Cabot trail, what section should we look at? Say 2 day max in the area, arrive explore a little first night then drive some the trail second day, then leave the following morning over to Peggy's cove area.

Thinking you don't want to tow trailer around the trail?

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[/purple]

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Woodhog. Left with a touigh choice on same weekend. Antigonish Highland Games, mainly the music, or Rock the Lobster festival in Pictou.

Leaning more to the highland games. We have enjoyed the games at Richmond, VA twice & at Stone Mtn, Atlanta,Ga once.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.novascotia.com/travel-guide

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the links , we won't be in the area until Aug 5-11.
Fundy is Booked. Just inquiring at Lunenberg . Any other suggestion for waht to do in the area would be great

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[/purple]

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
chipster wrote:
Thanks for the links woodhog. I;m thinking if I drive that far I am going to want to stay right on the waters edge. That Lunenburg looks cool. 1 Hour to Peggys cove but thinking one day at Peggy's cove is enough and looks like Lunenburg is nice place to hang out as well.

I'm also looking to take in some bagpipe bands with the drums. Any suggestions

Try these:

New Scotland

Pipes and more pipes

They are in this section of the Province:

One of 8 regions.

The area for pipes and Scots are in the North Humberland Strait area.

Also the Cape Breton area, they can play the pipes and speak Gaelic
between breaths...

๐Ÿ™‚
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
chipster wrote:
Thanks for the links woodhog. I;m thinking if I drive that far I am going to want to stay right on the waters edge. That Lunenburg looks cool. 1 Hour to Peggys cove but thinking one day at Peggy's cove is enough and looks like Lunenburg is nice place to hang out as well.

We do music festivals wherever & whenever we can find them. The biggie is the Halifax Tattoo, early July I think. There is a highland games somewhere in NB I think, later July or August. Sorry I didn't bookmark it as not possible for us but nothing is hard to find.

We are planning on doing http://www.stanfest.com/ in Canso first weekend of July. Never been but it seems to be a mixed bag of genres.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

chipster
Explorer
Explorer

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[/purple]

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
Have heard tales about the black flies and mosquitoes in NL and NS; are they really bad or just a general nuisance that putting some reppellant on your arms and face will generally solve the problem? We're heading there this summer and don't want to have to wear netting around my face like a beekeeper, etc. Have screens for the RV and netting for the door windows when we have them open. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I am assuming this is a serious question.

If you are planning on camping in the middle of the woods by a swamp..yes, I would expect you to use a lot of bug screen ๐Ÿ™‚ but it really depends.. we were in Maryland a bunch of years back and there were bugs outside..

Just as a general rule, when it gets dark and there is no wind, the little critters come out. Spring is probably the worse time of year. Camping close to the water away from trees is good..

Our fav place in PEI has two sections..one is really dense conifer trees ...the other is flat field that usually has a breeze..we do notice some mosquitoes around them..

Bring or buy repellent before you come..financially speaking, this year will be a very good year to travel in Canada. ..and do currency conversion at a bank or before you come..you nwon't get the same exchange is you pay with US bucks..

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Have heard tales about the black flies and mosquitoes in NL and NS; are they really bad or just a general nuisance that putting some reppellant on your arms and face will generally solve the problem? We're heading there this summer and don't want to have to wear netting around my face like a beekeeper, etc. Have screens for the RV and netting for the door windows when we have them open. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
I am in the process of planning a MD to NL trip. 113 days door to door long.

This will be spring into summer.

Planning on spending all of June there, iceberg watching month.

Notice the date on the pictures.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a nice place close to the city of Halifax:

Close to waterfront etc..

If you go a bit west of Halifax in your travels you can stop at Peggys Cove, park in the provincial parking lot, not the restaurant parking.

A few miles to the west is a little place run by a nice lady:

Small but nice if not too crowded..

You can go west all along the shore to:

Nice provincial par

Still heading west the towns of Mahone Bay and Lunenburg are lovely,

You can camp right in Lunenburg on top of the town hill overlooking the inner harbor:

Don't miss it...

Watch the wind direction around here, prevailing SW, stay on the shore and headlands, and you will need a sweater many days when it is
28 C inland, it will be about 17 to 20 with the Atlantic A/C unit turned on.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.