cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to visit Northern Quebec, Western Labrador?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've read a lot and watched many video logs on the subject. What is the opinion on this forum?

From what I've gathered:

Spring: Gravel pits, side roads could still be snowed in, lakes frozen, unpaved roads are heavy mud, campgrounds not open.

Summer: BUGS - huge mosquito, black fly, may-flys, etc? Campgrounds seem to be open June-Aug, probably will have most tourist stuff operating?

Late Summer (September mostly?): Most campgrounds closed already, bugs are mostly gone, maybe rainy bringing mud again?

Winter: Most campgrounds and gravel lots likely inaccessible, no bugs, blizzards may close roads for days.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
19 REPLIES 19

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
dcason wrote:
I wish they get on with Quebec route 139...that would be a nice visit. We drove labrador and through quebec in late june and it was fine.

It's about as likely as connecting I-10 on through to Honolulu is.

Between the west end terminus of Route 139 at Kegashka and the eastern terminus at Vieux-Fort is some 20+ sizeable river and Fjord crossings to be made and some of the most inhospitable ground to try to build a road over.

I've flown that route a few times, there just isn't enough need or population to support such a venture.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
This report from the CBC made me nervous about mud.

I realize they're probably over dramatizing it as some sort of political statement.

YouTube

As crocodile dundee would say
That aint mud,,
Now this is mud

https://youtu.be/4T4VP8A30WA

:B

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they get on with Quebec route 139...that would be a nice visit. We drove labrador and through quebec in late june and it was fine.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
EmersonTT wrote:
We were in Newfoundland and Labrador from June 1st through June 19, 2017, towing a 21 foot travel trailer.

I posted a long piece last summer about our return trip towing the trailer from Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau -- over 1,000 miles with only about 300 miles of good road from Goose Bay to Labrador City.

Where was that piece posted? I've been unable to find it here.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We did that loop in 2013 when most likely a little less was paved. We enjoyed it and it was trouble free (no flats). I asked hubby if he was ready to do it again. He said, "When more of it is paved or all of it". It will be a long time before the quebec section is paved...maybe not in my lifetime...don't think there are big plans there last time I checked.

EmersonTT
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Newfoundland and Labrador from June 1st through June 19, 2017, towing a 21 foot travel trailer. Although we very much enjoyed the trip, we were definitely too early. Several campgrounds were still closed and boats were not giving iceberg tours because pack ice was closing the harbors.

I posted a long piece last summer about our return trip towing the trailer from Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau -- over 1,000 miles with only about 300 miles of good road from Goose Bay to Labrador City. The rest of the road was very hard on our travel trailer, but I think would pose less of a problem for an RV or 5th wheel. It was a great adventure. However, as I said in that post, while I am glad we did it, I would not do it again towing a travel trailer until more of the road is improved.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
It's QC 138.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Route_138

Google maps, north shore Quebec

T'ain't complete, not no-way.

I was as far as Sept Iles in 1968, then up the QNS&L.

I have certainly heard about topographic problems in building any road, with the small population......

Now, I'd get me a vest pocket size French-English dictionary. I tried www.abebooks.com (used book branch of amazon) and amazon.com Search term, "French-English dictionary, pocket sized." Liked the one at amazon better. under $5.00. Having that in your pocket would gain you appreciation by those you're visiting.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I thought you were referring to Quebec route 139, the road along the coast. It's being extended to Blanc Sablon but making slow progress.

My French isn't much, I'll be just another ignorant anglophone tourist.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
It is how you search.

Are you in google.ca?

Ask for google maps. Then enter Baie Comeau, QC. Then 'get directions' and Labrador City. Got that.

On separate page put in QC 389. Bring up the Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Route_389 Read away and carefully.

Then search for Manicouagan Dams. I got tours of 3. Manic V is the largest and has a name change. BTW Rene Levesque was involved in their development. I'd write or call for information sheets. When I arrived they gave me those sheets and told me the tour would leave in xx minutes... Of course, how useful the write ups will be to you will depend on how good your French is. I managed because I'd been taking courses. But it would have been better to have read the pamphlets first.

And yes, a tour of the Churchill Falls, power dam is also a must, must, must.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit wrote:
I think it was 2009 that the road was opened all the way from Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau. So, it is ferry from western Newfoundland across to/from Labrador.

For other routes around NL province http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/default.stm

Thank you kindly for the great info.

Google.ca doesn't show a direct road between Baie Commeau and Blanc Sablon. I will be requesting an official map from the province of Quebec, I'm guessing Google is simply outdated and apathetic on the issue.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
LK, I think the ferry we took was from Goose Bay to Lewisporte on the rock after a stop in Cartwright, looks like it was discontinued. Too bad, it was a fun trip!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I think it was 2009 that the road was opened all the way from Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau. So, it is ferry from western Newfoundland across to/from Labrador.

For other routes around NL province http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/default.stm

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
WE did the trip up from Baie Commeau up to Lab City then across the trans Lab highway to Happy Valley/Goose Bay, then we took the ferry down the coast and then docked in Newfoundland.

We did it in the summer with a 5th wheel RV way back in 1993, it was about 2 years after the highway opened. It was pit run gravel back then but we had no issues other than getting a tankful of winter diesel in Goose Bay, the truck didn't like it.

The trip down the coast was great, the ferry had lots of space for the truck/trailer combo, from memory it was about 30 hours and we had a cabin.

These days it might be like the Alaska Highway where you can almost rest your full coffee cup on the dash without spilling it compared to the older times!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Look, there was a chap from the US who went through in 2004 or such. He contacted every community he could search in Labrador and that part of Quebec and got them to send him their weekly newspapers. I have no idea how many still do newspapers, but it is worth a try.

In winter the temperatures will be quite low. Snow comes early and stays.

Essential website. http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/default.stm Watch cam sites NOW.

Over on the island of Newfoundland they are having as weird a winter as we are having across The Gulf. I have had an email from a Corner Brook friend today. 3 thaws in this month of January. 2 weeks around Xmas temperatures were about 10'C lower than usual.

I lived in Newfoundland from 1983 to 2008, 24.5 years on the west coast. I heard road reports re. coastal Labrador via CBC radio. Often and often after snow road clearing was a good day slower than our side the the Strait of Belle Isle.

Labrador population 2016, a little over 27,000. So, how does that compare with northern Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota or North Dakota. & how much service do you get because of that larger population?

I can't recall the names of skiing places in Labrador, but Marble Mountain, Steady Book, is the largest one in Newfoundland. As I said one day there will be great skiing snow and the next day (this year) almost zero snow.

Yes, there is winter camping in Newfoundland, but near population centers. You have to be experienced with Canadian winters to try it.