cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wallydocking in Canada and Alaska ??

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Wal-Marts in Canada and Alaska allow overnight parking at their stores?
Some, ALL, or none ??
Thanks
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co
21 REPLIES 21

millerak49
Explorer
Explorer
overnight parking at Walmart is against local laws in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Probably 25 RV's in the fairbanks lot right now. Pioneer park has cheap overnight parking in Fairbanks, right in town. Cabela's in Anchorage has a nice RV parking area in the back of the store.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Whitehorse and the WalMart here has tons of RVs, as mentioned by someone earlier, and some look like permanent dwellers (one even has a flat tire). Canadian Tire also has lots of RVs.

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
As we approached the rest areas there were signs saying
No trucks or RVs.
There were also big yellow pillars just wide enough to allow a car.

I took that to mean......NO RVS.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I've not seen any rest area in SK that does not allow RVs. Some do not allow semi trucks.

luckyd wrote:
Saskatchewan does not even allow rvs into rest areas.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
There are many beautiful "pull-offs" along lakes, etc
in BC. As soon as you get close you see a sign..."No
overnight camping or parking".

Travelled across Canada and found very few roadside spots
to pull off for the night with a 40 footer towing a toad.

Saskatchewan does not even allow rvs into rest areas.

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
No allowed in Anchorage. But, like someone said, if you're coming to Alaska, why stay in the city?! ๐Ÿ™‚

Fred Meyer in Soldotna X2 Free dump station, Free water (tastes good too), full service store and the cheapest gas on the entire peninsula I think.

SpencerRB
Explorer
Explorer
So far, we've stayed at Walmart in Prince George (grab a spot on the side with full lawn & wifi), and Whitehorse (which is where I'm writing this reply from). As already noted, if you don't need to stay in town for a night, simply grab any number of countless dry camping spots off the road, or pay ~$10 for a lakefront gov't campground.

Here is a shot of the Whitehorse Wallyworld last night. Probably 40-50 RV's.

2010 Newmar Dutch Star
2013 VW Golf R

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Kenora, Ontario don't want mhs down town, got told that at Wally world when we stopped to buy groceries.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
2gypsies wrote:
I can't imagine why you'd choose a WalMart or any other store when there are so many gorgeous places just to pull over - quite often with a stream or lake in your view.

On our trip through Canada last year we found it nearly impossible to find a place to park where it wasn't prohibited. In some cases, Home Depot was our only choice when in route. Signs are everywhere and they don't hesitate to make it known.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Baxtersparents
Explorer
Explorer
Try this site : http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

We've also stayed @ Home Depot once.. no problems & they had WIFI!!!!

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot Whitehorse. A friend of ours was pulling the grade between Skagway and Whitehorse when the tranny left go. Even the wrecker operator took them to Wal-Mart parking lot. If I remember correctly, there is a huge Canadian Tire Store beside Wally. If you don't like our gas cans down here stop in there and get the good old fashioned can with a regular pour spout and vent cap!.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
In Whitehorse, which we just passed, Walmart allows RV parking. Or at least I'm assuming they do, based on the 50+ RVs in their parking lot. It was so crowded with RVs I'm surprised there was parking for cars.

Often there isn't much parking for cars, even though there are signs asking RVers to park in a particular area, some park nearer the store. Some set up there for the whole summer too. I think one or two stay through the winter.

I tend to not shop at the Walmart in summer...it's too frustrating getting in and out of the parking lot.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine why you'd choose a WalMart or any other store when there are so many gorgeous places just to pull over - quite often with a stream or lake in your view.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your helpful replies. Didn't know about about Home Depot.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co