cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vagabundos insurance - Is it a broker or a licensed insurer?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I would like to purchase my RV insurance with Vagabundos because they are cheaper.

Are they a brooker or a licensed insurer? What are your experience with them?

From their web site, they pay $75 US for repair, is this the norm?

Thanks.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
9 REPLIES 9

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Lewis and Lewis will pay for your RV to be repaired in the USA. That is a huge plus. There are no real RV techs in Mexico and zero parts!

Moisheh

But I guess you are responsible getting it there. They cover $300 for towing only.
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Lewis and Lewis will pay for your RV to be repaired in the USA. That is a huge plus. There are no real RV techs in Mexico and zero parts!

Moisheh

JerBear
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Hi, I would like to purchase my RV insurance with Vagabundos because they are cheaper.

Are they a brooker or a licensed insurer? What are your experience with them?

From their web site, they pay $75 US for repair, is this the norm?

Thanks.

Not sure what rates you were quoted but when comparing Vagabundos and Lewis & Lewis I found Lewis & Lewis to be cheaper plus you have to pay to join Vagabundos every year!
JerBear
2007 CITATION Supreme 10'8" Truck Camper,Torklift Fastguns, Torklift Tiedowns,Torklift Superhitch,Reese Front Hitch, Honda EU2000i Generator, 2x100 Watt Solar Panel /MPPT Controller, 2500 Watt Inverter.
2006 GMC 3500HD DRW Ex. Cab Truck, Duramax/Allison

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
daveB110 wrote:
Mexican law demands that for Liability, insurance must be from a Mexican company, no other. But this means that while liability insurance is from a Mexican company, this can be made available for others to purchase, outside their country, through brokers, some who can offer excellent service while you are in Mexico. One that has stood out well in the test of time, is Los Angeles -based, Lewis and Lewis. Watch for the company you are planning to use, for example, their deduction amount. Our first venture to Mexico was through Vagabundos. But when our air conditioner was destroyed while driving a very primitive detour route that took us under the Copper Canyon railway overpass, we were out of luck because of their 1,000 dollar deductible. At the time Lewis and Lewis had a 500 dollar deductible, which we later bought, enjoying their good service although we never had another claim. We liked that they offered advice if problems should arise while driving in Mexico, with such as wide knowlege of contacts, for instance, with lawyers who could help visitors.

Thanks, I am leaning for Lewis too, I had a few good comments on people that had accidents. They sell Qualitas and saw some bad comments too about Qualitas, so hard to say when it comes time to deal with them once problem arise.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican law demands that for Liability, insurance must be from a Mexican company, no other. But this means that while liability insurance is from a Mexican company, this can be made available for others to purchase, outside their country, through brokers, some who can offer excellent service while you are in Mexico. One that has stood out well in the test of time, is Los Angeles -based, Lewis and Lewis. Watch for the company you are planning to use, for example, their deduction amount. Our first venture to Mexico was through Vagabundos. But when our air conditioner was destroyed while driving a very primitive detour route that took us under the Copper Canyon railway overpass, we were out of luck because of their 1,000 dollar deductible. At the time Lewis and Lewis had a 500 dollar deductible, which we later bought, enjoying their good service although we never had another claim. We liked that they offered advice if problems should arise while driving in Mexico, with such as wide knowlege of contacts, for instance, with lawyers who could help visitors.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Ok, I see, I saw their site but could not figure it out. This brings it up to light. Thanks you Talley

Call them in Rio Vista where there office used to be, in either case buy the insurance in the U.S., don't wait to get to the border and try to buy the policy there.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I see, I saw their site but could not figure it out. This brings it up to light. Thanks you Talley

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cheaper is as cheaper does. Beware.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Talleyho69
This is right off of their home page:

The idea of Club rates, for a special, safety-minded group surfaced. As a group our insurance loss ratios are low and this in turn allows the Mexican insurance company to grant lower rates.

Club Management has learned over the years the value of having a Mexican company and Insurance Broker that pays claims timely and helps members out of a jam.

The are obviously sellers. Don't forget to add the required membership at $35 annually.