cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah route from Torrey to Bryce Canyon ?

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
My trip planning software has me going on UT 12 south from Torrey, UT to Hwy 17 (Old Escalante Rd) to Hwy 22 and back to UT 12 to Bryce Canyon.

Does this route handle a 38 ft Class A w/toad?
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on UT 12 the whole way. Scenic but there is one pretty good downgrade a few miles past Boulder.

An easier (and quicker) but less scenic route is UT 24 west to UT 62 to UT 22 continuing on John's Valley Road (UT 22 ends a couple of miles south of Antimony). Much of the John's Valley road, while paved, is somewhat narrow. But you'll meet little traffic.

We always use UT 12 when we are in this area.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made it from Torry to Bryce on 12 with my old Toyota based 5500 pound MH powered by a 22Re engine. It had a whopping 120 hp but we made it. Topped every hill at 40 mph in 2nd gear. We go numb to the sound of that little engine running at 5000 rpm's.
Next year we are pulling our TT through there with our truck. Looking forward to it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
We always taken 12 all the way, good road but some serious grades before Escalante. We have never had any trouble but once got a engine hot warning when we stopped at the overlook and shut the diesel down without cooling it down. Lesson learned.

Did the Torry-Bryce route last year.

What your fellow Floridan said. Lot of ups and downs. The grade before Escalante is marked at 14% and is twisty. Steep part isn't that long. I started down it and the DW headed to the dinette and put her head in a pillow, just before the grade sign, thankfully. When the worse was over she popped back up and all was fine.

Overall the road has some rough sections but better than some Interstates. Shoulders aren't much to speak of, just be aware of your driving.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
No reason not to stay on 12 it is paved. Not sure how your route finding software is setup but taking 17 is not a good route it is 5 miles shorter distance but 30 minutes longer travel time and appears to be a dirt road.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double check the settings and/or routing points on your software. It shouldn't be sending you on Hwy 17.

Don't ask for the shortest route. That's more likely to send you on dirt 'short-cuts'. Fastest route (with in reason) is usually better, since it takes into account road conditions (at least crudely).

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I had to look up 17. Looks like a dirt road to me. Pretty sure everyone takes 12 all the way.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
We always taken 12 all the way, good road but some serious grades before Escalante. We have never had any trouble but once got a engine hot warning when we stopped at the overlook and shut the diesel down without cooling it down. Lesson learned.
We were pulling a 35 ft fiver at the time. Truck had no problems with the grades. But we've been over it repeatedly, stayed a week in Escalante a few years back.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper