cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah - Canyonlands to Zion NP

Cober83
Explorer
Explorer
I've managed to reserve campsites on the White Rim Trail in early October. So I'm planning a trip to the area. I'll be on the White Rim Trail for 4 days/3 nights. After completing the trail I would like to travel to Zion National Park.

I'm interested in finding a scenic/back-road route from Canyonlands to Zion that offers camping and hiking along the way. Would anyone have any suggestions to offer?

I appreciate any help!

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:

Green River
Goblins SP
Capital Reef NP
Boulder
Escalante
Kodachrome
RT 12
Bryce
Checker Board
Tunnel
While not truly backcountry, this is an amazing journey. Along Highway 12 there are a variety of camping and hiking opportunities. Lots of hiking and backcountry roads in Capitol Reef NP. Don't miss Calf Creek Falls. Take Hole in the Rock Road about 25 miles south off of UT 12 and hike into Spooky and Peekaboo slot canyons. There's a variety of boondocking opportunities along that road. But bring water as you are getting away from civilization.

One thing to alert you to is the weekend of October 18-21. Every school district in Utah has those four days off so it's always very crowded in the Utah deserts. Some families take the entire week while many leave early on Wednesday. Can be a real bear to find a camping spot. Just a heads up.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet. I assume you will be bikingpacking the trail?
We'll be in the area the last week of October ourselves; hiking, backpacking, and packrafting.

Here is a different approach for you to consider:
Instead of trying to see it all (you'll never come close if you want to get into the backcountry) why not stay in one (or two) area(s) and really explore that (as best as you can in just one trip anyway). If your heart is set on Zion, then just go straight there after Canyonlands so you can maximize your time there. Yes, you'll zip by many awesome places to explore ...... another time. But unless you just want to just get a cursory look at the area, you won't really get to know them anyway. If you can skip Zion (I would), then why not stay in the Moab area and see more of that? I am not a biker, but there are many bike friendly (slickrock) routes there.

Note that S. Utah is chock full of BLM land that is, IMO, just as pretty as the National Parks and far less crowded.

I don't know how long you plan to be in Utah, but keep in mind that October is a transitional month weather wise. So consider adjusting your plans as needed for the weather. Up in elevation = cooler and down in elevation = warmer.

Some of the many resources to check out include:
- Photographing the Southwest volume 1 (S. Utah) for ideas on what different areas look like and some hikes.
- Non Technical Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau for hikes for details on hiking.
- ClimbUtah.com for an on-line hiking and canyoneering guide to great areas to explore (including Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, and Zion)
- The many National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps (depending on which areas you want to explore)

Hope this helps.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you are asking for backcountry roads not spots to visit. Capitol Reef has quite a few good 4WD roads, I really recommend the Hartnet/Cathedral Valley loop. It's about 70 miles plus or minus depending on the exact route one takes of isolated and not much visited country with spectacular scenery. The road is a good gravel surfaced road with some shallow water crossings. There are endless boondocking opportunities: Capitol Reef backcountry roads..

The Burr Trail is another good road with slot canyon access and lots of camp sites.

The South Draw Rd is one to keep off off unless you are driving a jeep sized vehicle. We took it not knowing what to expect and had 5 miles or so of white knuckle driving over a muddy dirt ridge barely wider than the truck with several hundred foot drops on both sides of the trail. And when I say barely wider than the truck I'm not exaggerating. Opening the truck door you could look straight down the drop with maybe a foot or less on each side of the tires. The trail surface was mud and I don't mean mud over rock either and did not provide a firm road surface...heh.

Somewhat further afield Escalante provides access to many 4WD trails including the excellent Hole in the Rock road, 70 miles of good gravel road in BLM land with some excellent camping spots like Dance Hall rock: BLM Photo
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to see Arches, take highway 128 from I-70. Spectacular ride like driving the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go to Bryce Canyon for sure and stop by Dead horse point. Also arches national park is close by. You could spend a month in Utah there is a lot to see.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Cober83 wrote:
I've managed to reserve campsites on the White Rim Trail in early October. So I'm planning a trip to the area. I'll be on the White Rim Trail for 4 days/3 nights. After completing the trail I would like to travel to Zion National Park.

I'm interested in finding a scenic/back-road route from Canyonlands to Zion that offers camping and hiking along the way. Would anyone have any suggestions to offer?

I appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Here's One.

Green River
Goblins SP
Capital Reef NP
Boulder
Escalante
Kodachrome
RT 12
Bryce
Checker Board