cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US Hwy 412 across Arkansas & Oklahoma

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to to southern CO & northern NM this year and am looking for an alternate route to I40 or I70. Thinking about taking US 412 from Hayti MO across Arkansas and Oklahoma to Guymon OK. Will be driving a Class C with a Jeep toad. We like to take our time and enjoy small towns. Last trip we took US 60 and US 50. What kind of road is it? Any campgrounds or stops you would recommend? Planning on staying at Corral Drive-In RV park in guymon.
8 REPLIES 8

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
melandme wrote:
Planning a trip to to southern CO & northern NM this year and am looking for an alternate route to I40 or I70. Thinking about taking US 412 from Hayti MO across Arkansas and Oklahoma to Guymon OK. Will be driving a Class C with a Jeep toad. We like to take our time and enjoy small towns. Last trip we took US 60 and US 50. What kind of road is it? Any campgrounds or stops you would recommend? Planning on staying at Corral Drive-In RV park in guymon.

You are not alone in having issues with the highway signage in Tulsa. It's not clear at all. We missed a turn even with a Garmin GPS.

We 2nd Denton Ferry. . At Harrison ,Ar is Withrow Springs State Park.. I have only pulled our 35 ft 5er on 412 between Fayetteville & Mountainhome as we fish at Cotter Trout Dock every now & then

My bad, WSSP is at Huntsville not Harrison. Sorry. Great park also . We stay there when we go to our Arkansas land

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
melandme wrote:

You are not alone in having issues with the highway signage in Tulsa. It's not clear at all. We missed a turn even with a Garmin GPS.

We 2nd Denton Ferry. . At Harrison ,Ar is Withrow Springs State Park.. I have only pulled our 35 ft 5er on 412 between Fayetteville & Mountainhome as we fish at Cotter Trout Dock every now & then

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've enjoyed driving 412 from Illinois west but haven't ventured on it past US 69 in Oklahoma. It's a great road, just a few slowdowns. Check out the Buffalo River National Recreation area near Harrison/Jasper Arkansas, it's really nice. A private park we like is Shady Oaks (https://camptheoaks.com/), but there's other options around of course.

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Last time I traveled interstates in Arkansas it was a bumpy ride.

Thanks Roy for the Denton Ferry recommendation. I was looking for a stop in that area.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
melandme wrote:

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Across Arkansas, US 412 is a scenic route and is in good condition. Some sections in the Ozarks have plenty of curves. It may take a couple of hours longer to cross the state compared to I-40, but I much prefer that to the bumber-to-bumper semi-truck traffic on I-40.

We like Denton Ferry RV Park just west of Mountain Home, Ark.

I see you are heading to Guymond, OK, about midway across the Oklahoma panhandle. A few years ago, traveling east out of New Mexico, we followed US 412 across the entire panhandle (with a side trip up to see Black Mesa) and across Oklahoma. I was amazed at the absolute flatness of the panhandle. I have seen some other places that were called "flat", but nothing that compares with the flatness of the panhandle.

For history buffs, something interesting to look up is why the panhandle is a part of Oklahoma and not a part of Texas. For several years, it was a part of neither, and was called "No Man's Land."

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
We overnighted at the Corral RV park in 2017. Nice place. Large pull-thrus. Only disappointment was the drive in theater was closed. Forget whether is was permanent or just for the high school football season. Sounds like a good trip. Passed through Guymon on our way from Denver to OKC. Enjoy
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Been a few years now. Tulsa was a bit of a hassle for me, poorly marked freeways. But 412 was ok, except the surface was bit chopped up if I recall. We were in a DP+toad.
I stopped at Boiling Springs State Park, near Woodward OK. Out in the middle of nowhere, but we liked it.