cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trans Canada Hwy

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody recommend good book or lit. To travel and rv the above?
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST
12 REPLIES 12

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Trans Canada Highway - 22 Minutes
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
ttempleton wrote:
Anybody recommend good book or lit. To travel and rv the above?

Fwiw
I like to use Google maps and Google Earth to plan a trip if unable to find paper maps..

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Provincial maps are more up to date and have more local information. Why, well you see, each province manages its roads.

Online maps are more apt to be out of date in varied sections of the large territory the cover.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I find the internet maps (Apple, Google) very useful for some things but not for others like finding the places. I still have a collection of maps from the days when they were free.

Google maps was more useful than the Garmin for our recent driving in southern Ontario. It was easier to enter a destination address and it provided traffic information as we drove.

The Garmin Nuvi showed speed limits but no alerts when exceeding them. Anyone know if it can be made to beep a warning?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
TCH is the fastest way to drive across Canada. Done it 3 times. On the way back we drove secondary roads. Great trip. Lots of campsites. (And Walmarts...lol)

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Mile Post won't cover a single inch of the TCH.

It does - start at page 104 in the 2017 edition.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled all of the provinces and have found that the official province maps which are available by contacting each province on their websites, or by stopping at the visitor centers, are the best. At the visitor centers, you will find lots of useful information and very knowledgeable and friendly staff people. Canada is a great place to visit, you will enjoy!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a 5000 mile round trip BC, Oregon coast, Calif Redwoods, Nevada desert and into AZ and then back to BC.
I have a 2017 GMC Truck that has GPS mapping on a screen in the dash, I have a road / Hwy Garmain GPS that sticks to the windshield I also have a hand held GPS that I use for hunting fishing and ATVing at home. Nothing came close to a good O"ll hand help paper map.
The best place I found to get these maps were at a Walmart stores, Yup even in the USA they have Canadian maps. We bought a great map of BC at a Walmart in Colville Washington State, you will most likely find the same back east or where ever you cross into Canada.
In Canada we have these big box stores called Canadian Tire they carry everything from car parts, TV's home repair supplies and blenders, they also "usually" have a good assortment of paper maps of the Canadian provinces and some USA States.
Also you can find Canadian Hwy / road maps on Amazon.com ( com = USA) I just looked they have tons of them.
As others have said Milepost doesn't have a very good map showing much detail other than the straightest routes north to Alaska from the USA. Yes it does show some other Hwys up here but not all of them. Looking at the map that came with my last edition of Milepost, that map doesn't cover 1/2 the hwys around here, it is just a basic map, with not much for detail.
I even have a road atlas put out my McNally Rand and it is even missing a lot of roads up here in BC anyways.
Try Amazon.com, order provincial maps for where you will be traveling, I just looked they carry a lot of Canadian Maps.
Canadian maps on USA Amazon

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, every province and territory has a set of visitors guides and provincial maps.

Go gohttps://www.google.ca/, yes .ca because you're searching Canada.

Search term = provincial name & tourism.

Enjoy

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
scrubjaysnest wrote:
A copy of the mile post will cover part of it in great detail. Once you start stop a visitor centers they have good info on the next leg you are traveling.

Mile Post won't cover a single inch of the TCH.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
A copy of the mile post will cover part of it in great detail. Once you start stop a visitor centers they have good info on the next leg you are traveling.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
The TCH runs from Newfoundland in the east to Vancouver Island in the west. From St Johns, Nfld to Tofino, BC. Approx 8000 km / 5000 miles. For whatever portion you plan on driving go on line to the Provincial Tourism site and ask for their literature to be sent to you.
Have fun planning.............. then go out and enjoy. Make yourself VERY familiar with what you can and can`t bring into Canada.