cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing fifth wheel from Moran to Colter Bay

WanderingCs
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying route my trip from Rawlins WY to Colter Bay Village. Both my RV life app and my truckers atlas want me to go around the section of highway 89/191/287 from Moran to Colter Bay. Is that route not possible to tow a 35’ 5th wheel? What is a better route?
5 REPLIES 5

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
I took 287 from Colter Bay Village to Rawlins last September pulling a 40 foot 5th wheel,very good road, just watch out for the"bullhaulers"(cattle trucks) traveling that road.I had 2 pass me on crest of hill first one no problem 2nd one ran suv coming oppisite direction into ditch cut me off and threw stones back and broke windshield,paint all chipped,I was traveling speed limit guess they didn't know how to read. I talked to a fellow in Rawlins and said truck traffic is heavy on that road

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
google maps is real time mapping, so maybe there was an accident or the road was closed due to snow, etc at the time you plugged in the route so it recommended a route around that, and the road is open again now?

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
as stated, 287 it is. The little hamlet of Moran is set just before you reach the Y junction, which goes north or south. I think the old road went through Moran, but now it by passes the little hamlet.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We took 287 from Rawlins to Moran then to Colter Bay. 40' MH with car. No problem. Betsy.
Betsy

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dont know why you are getting that. Both google maps and GS trip planner are routing me straight up 287. I have never driven either route but from everything I have read 287 should be doable.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler