cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toronto to Nashville

dgblair
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip at end of May from Toronto to Nashville. Our plan is to get across the border the first day then overnight at a WalMart or similar. Make the rest of the trip on day 2. Google Maps has us cross at Detroit however I'm not adverse to crossing at Niagara Falls instead. Any good overnight recommendations and "must see" attractions along the route?

For our return, we are planning to stop in Knoxville to visit relatives then maybe continue to the east coast for a more scenic/leisurely return trip. Maybe North Carolina/Virginia/West Virginia. Any thoughts on the return trip?
6 REPLIES 6

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I would not argue the point. After all, I do not live in that part of the country. BUT I just checked with Google Maps and the difference was 6 minutes longer by Port Huron.

My answer to "why" is that I cruised right on through Detroit on the Interstate and trusted that it was less crowded and probably quicker to go on up to Port Huron to cross over. I may have been mistaken, but that is my answer to "why".

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why would you cross at Sarnia? Just for the RV park at the bridge? That adds at least an hour or two to the trip.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have made two RV trips to Ontario, staying at 50 Point Conservation Area near Hamilton, south of Toronto. We have crossed both at Sarnia/Port Huron and at Niagara Falls. We have intentionally avoided the crossing at Detroit. That would still be my plan to cross at Sarnia over to Port Huron. There is a nice RV park right at the border in Port Huron where we have stayed.

You could swing east on I-75 to the Lexington, KY area. There is a great RV park at the Kentucky Horse Park, just off the freeway, north of Lexington. You could take the Bluegrass Parkway back to I-65 at Elizabethtown, KY and continue on to Nashville.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We use the RVPARKY app when on the road. It gives you locations of campgrounds, state parks, walmart, cabelas, loves travel centers, cracker barrels all along your route.

On your way back, if you've never been to the Biltmore Estate I think it's worth a looksee. There is always something to do in Knoxville and Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. There is Pilot Mountain in Mt. Airey NC....AKA. Mayberry of the Andy Griffith show.

With the internet today it isn't that difficult to find interesting places to stop.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess the Detroit crossing would be the fastest and cheapest considering toll roads. There is a Sams Club for overnighting at exit 37 SBD I-75. That's the first-easiests and safest one to get to I can think of.

As far as "must see", that depends on what kind of things you like ie.: museams, nature, opera, plays, ball games, hiking, etc., etc., etc.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Check out

Free Campsites

And Also this one
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos