Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas to Washington State

MerryLynn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I'm an RV newbie and have been living in my RV for the past month. I had planned stay in Texas for the winter, but my situation changed and now I'm moving to the coast of Washington State. I'm leaving in late October and taking the trip slow; planning to drive about 300 miles a day for a total of 10 days. I'm towing a 20-foot Rockwood Mini Lite travel trailer with a 2018 Toyota Sequoia.

To avoid the winter weather likely on the most direct route, I plan to take Interstate 40 to California and then head north on Hwy 101.

Can you see any potential problems with this route? Any areas I need to avoid? (Note: I've already removed California's restricted routes from my plan)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Merry
19 REPLIES 19

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
From San Antonio we just took I 35 up to I 40 to Gallup and then north, cutting off a corner of Colorado and going into Utah on 191. We mostly just used Google Maps. The weather was cold but the roads were dry. We may have lucked out but we really didn't have any issues. We spent one night in Cortez, one in Moab, we are military so we spent one night at Hill AFB, and our last night we spent in a Motel in Baker Oregon cause it was really cold, but there were RV parks in Pendleton we could have stayed at. If you need anything else just let me know.

MerryLynn
Explorer
Explorer
Roy and Lynne,
I was thinking about this too since the weather forecast seems promising. Can you please be more specific about the route you take through Utah and New Mexico? It all looks easy from the eagle-eye view of Google maps, but I fear picking a route that is steep and tricky.

thanks!

Roy&Lynne wrote:
We live in Washington and have relatives in Texas and often travel in winter. Last time was in Jan and we cut across Utah and New Mexico and had no issue. The only steep grade is on I84 going into Pendleton but not really an issue. Since you have the time, just watch the weather and be prepared to hunker down and wait it out. Just set Google on fastest route and go for it.
I wouldn't go thru California with their gas prices so high and the Siskayous traffic and grades are just as bad if not worse than I84

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Washington and have relatives in Texas and often travel in winter. Last time was in Jan and we cut across Utah and New Mexico and had no issue. The only steep grade is on I84 going into Pendleton but not really an issue. Since you have the time, just watch the weather and be prepared to hunker down and wait it out. Just set Google on fastest route and go for it.
I wouldn't go thru California with their gas prices so high and the Siskayous traffic and grades are just as bad if not worse than I84

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
MerryLynn - My earlier route recommendations were based on possibility of your leaving Texas and moving to WA later in the fall; that's why I thought US 101 would be a better route in OR and part of WA because of snow in the Siskyous. If you leave before the snow flies, then take I-5 up thru OR and WA and when you get to Burlington, which is about 70 miles north of Seattle, turn west on WA 20 and go to Whidbey Island. Saves you the ferry cost from Port Townsend or Mulkiteo, unless you're heading to south Whidbey, which would be better to drive up from Mulkiteo, take the ferry, and save some mileage. There is a long wait for that ferry if you get in line after about 2pm because the Boeing workers are getting off work and many drive up to Whidbey where they live. Also try to drive north thru Seattle after 10am and before 2pm to avoid commuter traffic. Regarding chains for your tow vehicle and the trailer, purchase some from Les Schwab there in CA or OR, if you don't use them they will refund your money. Have a good trip, you will like Whidbey Island!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
MerryLynn wrote:
Thanks Islandman! Do you recommend taking 5 from Bakersfield to Sacramento? From Port Townsend, I plan to take the ferry to Whidbey, which is my new home. Do you know anything about that ferry?

When you first mentioned the coast we probably assumed you meant the outer coast. Whidbey is in the inner waters, with a different access route.

There are 3 ways on to the island - the PT-Coupeville ferry from the west, Mukleteo-Clinton from the south and Deception Pass bridge from the north.

The PT boat recommends reservations, since it is smaller and runs less frequently. But you don't need to rush to leave PT.

https://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?schedrouteid=1861

The south ferry is busier, especially with commuter traffic. Access from the south via I405 and WA525 is straight forward, but daytime traffic can be heavy. WSDOT has good traffic information; Google Maps is also good at giving routes and times through Seattle.

The north route is cheapest - no ferry cost - but also involves the Seattle traffic.

For PT you could do US101 along the coast and around the top of the Olympics. That's lots of forest driving, with limited views of the ocean. Olympic Nat Park is also doing road work along the shores of Lake Crescent with some 4hr delays.

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/lake-crescent-highway-101-rehabilitation-2017-19.htm

I5 to Olympia and US101 north along the Hood Canal is a more direct route. That Hood Canal stretch is level, but somewhat curvy.

You could also go up Kitsap Peninsula, either leaving 101 to 3 at Shelton, or taking the bridge from I5 in Tacoma. That has some urban freeway driving around Silverdale, but nothing like Seattle.

US97 up the east side the Cascades, and WA20 over the North Cascades directly to the Island avoids all the urban freeway, but might be iffy in November. That pass usually closes due to snow sometime in November.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/north-cascades-highway/home

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
MerryLynn wrote:
Thanks Tom/Barb, Do you put chains on the trailer as well as the towing vehicle?

Tom/Barb wrote:
Remember I-40 to Santa Rosa Nm. to Las Vegas Nm. cuts off 200 miles off the trip. It's a great highway

I-40 west does get to 7000' and does get plenty snow.

get chains, even if you never use them use them.

No. we stay over when it is that bad
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MerryLynn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tom/Barb, Do you put chains on the trailer as well as the towing vehicle?

Tom/Barb wrote:
Remember I-40 to Santa Rosa Nm. to Las Vegas Nm. cuts off 200 miles off the trip. It's a great highway

MerryLynn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Islandman! Do you recommend taking 5 from Bakersfield to Sacramento? From Port Townsend, I plan to take the ferry to Whidbey, which is my new home. Do you know anything about that ferry?

Islandman wrote:
I'd work my way over towards Bakersfield, then north up towards Sacramento and then a little farther north, take CA 20 over to Clear Lake and then west to US 101. Follow US 101 all the way up thru OR (some nice CG's along the way) and then crossing into WA. Next route depends on where you're heading in WA. Either work your way over to Olympia and then up I-5, or if you're going to the coastal area, stay on US 101. If you're going up to the NW part of WA, then catch WA 20 which is west of Port Townsend and take it over to wherever you may need to go. Big thing about I-5 is that you need to plan on driving thru Seattle area between 10 and 2 to avoid heavy commuter traffic, Sunday is the best day unless there is a football game. Have a good trip!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps, will give you the shortest route.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/b565aa4d4c1111a09ad8c1ede054636671f50d38757a6527b35d96b987ef86a8

Forecast to be warm, getredone. 🙂

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
MerryLynn wrote:
. I'm towing a 20-foot Rockwood Mini Lite travel trailer with a 2018 Toyota Sequoia.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Merry

"20-foot Rockwood Mini Lite"

none will have a problem have to load in the hills.

you will have more problem with snow in Or.

best route is a direct, an get it over with.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. 101 can be treacherous this late in the year with wind, rain, and fog. There are two passes on the I-5, Grapevine and Siskayou, and while long pulls neither are insurmountable. The rest is an easy run although not very scenic except around Mt Shasta. When you get to Washington you will need a raincoat, high boots and an umbrella.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the coastal route will avoid snow, it may still get hit with November storms - wind and rain. At least in Washington, November is the stormiest month. Landslides are more likely and can delay or force a reroute.