cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCH through NB, NS, and PEI

NYFifth
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is considering a summer trip with our 40ft fifth whee through NB, NS, and PEI. My first question regards the overall conditions and state of the TCH through those provinces. We do NOT plan to leave any of the main highways. Input and thoughts on this question is dearly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

musika
Explorer
Explorer
The Trans Canada is a 2 lane highway in spots along your identified route, FYI. For example, between Antigonish and Port Hawkesbury Hwy 104 (as it's known) is not twinned.

The TCH in Cape Breton continues as Hwy 105 all the way to North Sydney and does not go to Inverness. To get there, you'll be taking Route 19 - it's a 2 lane, recently paved (in parts) decent highway.

If it were me, I'd take the ferry back over from PEI to NS. It's about an hour, and while expensive, it's a fun family thing to do. We took our camper last summer with no issues, though you do need to take either the first or last 2 crossings of the day with a high vehicle.

If you're intent on doubling back via NB, you'll be hooking up with the Trans Can at Aulac NB, then heading south through Sackville/Amherst on the 104. From there, you have the choice of the Cobequid Pass (toll road) or Wentworth Valley (Route 4) to get to Truro, if you're intent on taking the highway. Just before Truro, the 104 veers towards New Glasgow/Antigonish where it meets the 102.

You will have plenty of big rig company on the Trans Can, but also on some of the smaller roads. Plenty have done the Cabot Trail with bigger rigs. I would venture to say all Maritime roads are fair to middling in terms of road quality, but we locals drive them and survive 🙂

Do you have any particular spots you want to see or camp at? That might help with road recommendations.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
You are dropping the fifth wheel and driving around Cape breton...correct? That is an up down weaving winding road. Off major roads is not an issue...the ring of cape breton might be.

NYFifth
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Winnaman, for reply. Our goal is to travel Interstate 95 and cross border near Houlton. From there, pick up TCH 2 for Frederickton and on to Moucton and Amherst , where we’ll connect with TCH 16 and 1 for Charlottetown.

After that, our plan is double back over the bridge for Amherst to travel with the fifth wheel to Cape Breton Island and Inverness.

I’m unable to identify on Mapquest what major highway from Amherst we take to get there (TCH or other?), so I’m unsure what that road(s) is like for big rigs.

Thoughts?

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
The trans Canada highway is good all the way through the east coast. It is multi lanes near larger cities. It is two lane on long spans between cities. We travel it with large rvs pulling toads. No problems at all. Ive been to the east coast four times. You will love the Bay of Fundy with the highest tides in the world. You would likely come through Maine Im guessing.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"We do NOT plan to leave any of the main highways." 😞
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad