cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skyline Dr Virginia

Old_Dave_282
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about making the 100 mile run with my 29 ft travel trailer.
Anyone made the trip and if so any words of wisdom regarding taking my trailer?
12 REPLIES 12

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
As you've heard, the drive is slow & beautiful, and will be No problem with your rig.
If you can get by without hookups for a few days, stay at one of the CG's ON Skyline, Big Meadow has some reservable sites, but I like Loft Mountain, first come first serve, but sites are, better separated.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Made the trip coming off the Blue Ridge Parkway in 40ft MH pulling a 30ft car hauler trailer in May of this year. No problem and a beautiful drive. Have fun with the fall colors.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.nps.gov/shen

The Skyline Drive is part of Shenandoah National Park and here is lonk to the National Park's website.

Driving the Skyline is a memorable experience and should be done. Towing the trailer will not be a problem; don't let the entrance and hill climb at Front Royal scare you. That is the worse of the whole drive! That time of year may bring out the leaf peepers, so crowded overlooks that could prevent your stopping is a possibility. Also, if you plan to camp on the Skyline, either have reservations or stop very early afternoons.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Love the "Drive", suggest staying at Loft Mtn CG, be aware slow road, lots of twist,turns, ups and downs. Down shift, I don't know why people forget this but downshift! Easier on both the tow vehicle and the driver.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Can I come with you? We did Skyline Dr. in 2011 and it had been closed for a couple of days due to an unusual October storm with fairly heavy snow fall. I had to drive and didn't get to see as much as I wanted, so going with someone else driving would be unbelievable.

We did sing Country Roads as we drove along and it was absolutely beautiful up there. You folks back there are a hearty lot. More tent campers at Shenandoah NP than vehicle campers. We woke up hearing the deer walking softly through the heavy frost and ice on the ground and the smell of wood cooking fires and coffee brewing. After visiting all the National Parks(except those named in the last two or three years) this is one of my all time favorite memories.

Go and like others have said, drive slowly and stay toward the middle of the road through the tunnels.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I liveed near and travelled the drive frequently. Turns are no issue, but you have to be very conscious of your height vis-a-vis the rounded tops of tunnels, which are less than 13' as I recall. If you're staying overnight, I suggest you use I81 and go to a CG off the drive, Luray for example, and do day trips on the drive.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Parking at the overlooks will be a problem with a trailer in tow. Consider camping on or near the drive and using the truck. Fall colors will bring out a lot tourists that will crowd out large vehicles.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
It's not a difficult drive as the curves and grades are moderate. Rather slow but just as well so as to enjoy the scenery.
Jayco-noslide

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife and I went traveled through there in June of this year. It is a beautiful drive and worth the effort. We were towing a small TT but we saw some pretty big TT's while we were there and they did not have any problems. We tried driving the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline but we were there right after some big storms and there was some road damage so we had to take some detours. On past trips I have gone through the are during the fall and it was beautiful.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I learned to backpack around there in 1960. I have always liked the area, but don't be afraid to get off the main roads. Hiking the AT in the fall is still a good idea.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for the weather if you'll be doing this in the next few months; winter is coming.

With a travel trailer you probably are just fine, but do be aware that the one tunnel (Mary's Rock tunnel) has a clearance of 12' 8".

Otherwise, it's a fine drive, but not fast or straight or flat. You'll be using your lower gears a lot.

DelawareDead
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning Dave,

My only experience on Skyline Drive at this point was on my motorcycle.....but I can tell you that it is beautiful ride. Lots of curves but most aren't too tight. There certainly are some tight turns but I think you will be fine. I tow a 27' TT and on my recent trip to NH, I ran into similar tight turns and I was fine.....and oh by the way it was my first adventure in a 27 footer!!!

Take your time, they kind of make you do that anyway with the 35 mph speed limit and all will be well I'm sure!

Have a great trip!
Rich
2016 FR Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8288WSA
2017 F-350 6.7L Lariat Longbed

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"