cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sedona to Moab and all points in between

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Ok everyone, make us a "List" of things to see and places to stop. Traveling from Sedona AZ eventually arriving in to Moab for Jeep Week. We've been to Monument Valley and Arches National park, but need suggestions for other points in-between. All suggestions are appreciated in advance. Thanks to you all.
8 REPLIES 8

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
4runners Guide to Moab!.

Hope this was what you were after.

Best of Luck,

Interesting! Did you have your 4runner ran the Moab off-road trail?

Planning to do that and I heard there are different classes for non-modified 4runner like mine.
I assume this question is directed to me since I wrote the Moab posting in Busskipers link.

In my old '96 4runner I had the factory locking differential and factory large tire upgrade. The only nonstock upgrades were the supercharger and headers. In this rig I could do things like Elephant Hill (a 4 rating) but wouldn't want to do much above that. For what the ratings mean, check out Trail Ratings. For an idea of what you might encounter driving on any specific trail, check out Trail List. By clicking on a given trail, you'll go to a page with a description and pictures showing some of what you'll encounter.

That being said, once we went to the 2006 4Runner, I had to give up on any trail rated a 4. Simply not enough clearance without upgrading suspension and tire size. Besides, we've decided we really like to mountain bike these places rather than drive them anymore.

Do make sure you have reservations for camping during Jeep Safari Week and plan for big crowds everywhere you go, whether it's to the grocery store, restaurants or the gas station.

Thanks for the info.

I might have to borrow my daughter's Jeep for these trails.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
4runners Guide to Moab!.

Best of Luck,

Planning to do that and I heard there are different classes for non-modified 4runner like mine.
I assume this question is directed to me since I wrote the Moab posting in Busskipers link.

In my old '96 4runner I had the factory locking differential and factory large tire upgrade. The only nonstock upgrades were the supercharger and headers. In this rig I could do things like Elephant Hill (a 4 rating) but wouldn't want to do much above that. For what the ratings mean, check out Trail Ratings. For an idea of what you might encounter driving on any specific trail, check out Trail List. By clicking on a given trail, you'll go to a page with a description and pictures showing some of what you'll encounter.

That being said, once we went to the 2006 4Runner, I had to give up on any trail rated a 4. Simply not enough clearance without upgrading suspension and tire size. Besides, we've decided we really like to mountain bike these places rather than drive them anymore.

Do make sure you have reservations for camping during Jeep Safari Week and plan for big crowds everywhere you go, whether it's to the grocery store, restaurants or the gas station.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the itinerary for Adventure Caravans tour of the Western Parks for ideas or do a Google search for `________ tourism' and put the State, City or area in the blank space.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper's route is an excellent one. Adding a few sites to your list...of course, there is the Grand Canyon. Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments all around Flagstaff (east side). Maybe a stop at Cameron Trading Post along Hwy 89 on the way north to Page. After Capitol Reef NP, Goblin Valley State Park is north of Hanskville off 24.

If for some reason you don't want to take that route, alternatively you could drive east on I-40, stop at Walnut Canyon NM, Winslow to "stand on the corner", Petrified Forest NP. Then drive north on 191, stop at Hubbell Trading Post in Ganado, and then to Canyon de Chelly NM in Chinle.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
When in moab I always like to go go over to the lasal mountains. I hate to give it away but Kens lake and a short hike to the waterfall is also a favorite

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
My own practice is to Google all the interesting places within 50 to 100 miles of my campsite.

A good trip planning will enable you to round these must-visit spots.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
teeznu wrote:
Ok everyone, make us a "List" of things to see and places to stop. Traveling from Sedona AZ eventually arriving in to Moab for Jeep Week. We've been to Monument Valley and Arches National park, but need suggestions for other points in-between. All suggestions are appreciated in advance. Thanks to you all.

Something like THIS might be Fun.

Sedona to HorseShoe bend then maybe a slot canyon or two before Page/Lake Powell - then Possibly Zion if you are ready for the Crowds - Angels Landing and the Narrows are always calling - Bryce is worth the effort - With Escalante and Kodachrome as a stop - then RT 12 and and the Hog Back before Capital Reef - I highly recommend the drive across the Narrow part of Lake Powell along with a drive in the Jeep on some of the shores - Now Catch Natural Bridge before heading on up to Moab and all the fun, don't miss the drive along RT 128.

One more link that will help with giving you some Local Knowledge of the town. 4runners Guide to Moab!.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
teeznu wrote:

Something like THIS might be Fun.

Sedona to HorseShoe bend then maybe a slot canyon or two before Page/Lake Powell - then Possibly Zion if you are ready for the Crowds - Angels Landing and the Narrows are always calling - Bryce is worth the effort - With Escalante and Kodachrome as a stop - then RT 12 and and the Hog Back before Capital Reef - I highly recommend the drive across the Narrow part of Lake Powell along with a drive in the Jeep on some of the shores - Now Catch Natural Bridge before heading on up to Moab and all the fun, don't miss the drive along RT 128.

One more link that will help with giving you some Local Knowledge of the town. 4runners Guide to Moab!.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach