Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scenic byway south of Laramie WY

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
I have mentioned this in some threads and wanted to share a link:

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wyoming/this-scenic-byway-is-a-true-wy-gem/

If you are driving either direction on I-80 it's an easy off/on. Although only a 2-lane road, it is well maintained with frequent parking spots and reasonably wide shoulders. I've driven it in a 27' class C and an underpowered 34' DP and not had any difficulty. Very twisty-turny but it goes up and down so the engine never had to work hard for a long stretch and I never had to ride the brakes even without downshifting. And it is just incredibly gorgeous.

The western end is in Saratoga, where there is a free city hot-springs-fed pool that is REALLY hot. I got my 27' rig into the pool parking lot without difficulty but I have to admit I didn't try with the 34'.

If you are north or southbound on I-25, and have a few hours to spare, it's only 45 miles west on I-80 to the Laramie exit that takes you there. (But includes 5 miles of 5% grade.)
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'
8 REPLIES 8

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t recommend any CG unless I’ve camped in that CG. Those that do...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
Thom, would you believe I've never stayed in the campgrounds? We always just made it a day drive.

At this point, we've had our first snow of the season and WY130 got a "no unnecessary travel" flag. It is open now (still "slick in spots") but could be closed for the season any time. Still worth saving for next summer! Here is the link to check on Wyoming road status: http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.STATIC5?SelectedDistrict=1 - WY130 is listed partially under Laramie and partially under Saratoga.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just did that drive. went from the Tetons to Colorado Springs. I 80 was very nice. very scenic.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Working an engine "hard" is not "abusing" an engine. Not changing oil and filters, not servicing the transmission, not checking all fluids at least everyday, not topping off other fluids, not watching your tachometer and temperature gauges (water and transmission) is abusing an engine. This is basic to RVing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Cool, you'll have a great time on this widely known road.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting that. Headed Wyoming way next spring!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Please note the USFS says "...the byway is normally open from Memorial Day through October," so watch road conditions closely. See...https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/Rocky_Mountain/SnowyRangeByway/index.shtml.

Silver Lake CG, very popular, is only open from July to September. Other USFS CGs also close early and open late. See...https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbr/recarea/?recid=22514

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
WY 130, the Snowy Range Road is indeed a wonderful drive. Some similarities to Trail Ridge Road down in RMNP, but with far fewer visitors...probably 1/20th of the visitors to Rocky.

AND...wonderful campgrounds along the way. I'm particularly partial to Brooklyn Lake and Sugerloaf (which is near the top of the pass). There's also a few others lower down on the Centennial side, and Ryan Park on the Saratoga side. Some interesting history about Ryan Park as well, worth camping there.

Great hiking at the top. There's a trailhead near the Sugarloaf CG, you can hike back to the Gap, which is clearly visible in the distance. Not a difficult hike, and the vistas on the other side are incredible. There's also a hike to the top of Medicine Bow Peak, which can be somewhat strenuous in places. Again...worth it!

Saratoga is a quaint town, claim to fame being the hot springs. It was flooded a few years back, the river inundated a goodly portion of the town. They've done a great job bringing it back to the way it was pre-flood.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.