cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saturday morning forecast -50*C

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, everybody that is out of Saskatoon stay away and anyone that can leave should go now.No kidding that is the forecast and as you know anything over - 40 F and C are the same,it just doesn't matter.Be careful and safe people,and don't forget to fill your propane tanks.lol.
36 REPLIES 36

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Just everyday stuff...hehehe:C

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/people-wait-hours-in-freezing-cold-for-bushwakker-mead-1....
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
On the rez, our car tires always go thump, thump, thump.
Isn't that normal?

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Oh jeez ... up to -4C by Monday.
Then down to -28C by Friday.
Usually no wind at our place but Whitehorse often has a cold stiff breeze.

We don't get the lows I remember from my youth ... -60F was common each winter. I remember a -76F (-60C). Mom wouldn't let me use the ski-doo after -10F (-23C). And we weren't allowed outside to play after -20F (-29C). After -40 we didn't have to go to school.

I think we used to drive her crazy during cold spells.

Back in those days, car tires went thump, thump, thump in the bitter cold too!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi sue.t - please ship some current Yukon weather south

A bit chilly here at the moment:

temp: -33C / -27F
humidity: 71%
wind: sw at 22km/hr 14mph
wind chill: -47C / -53F

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, we're happy to ship that cold stuff south.

We've had a bit of a chilly snap but it's warmed up to -20C (-4F) tonight, and we're supposed to have a heat wave of -5C (23F) tomorrow.

Not so warm to melt the snow, which is a good thing. Snowmachines are getting antzy ...
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
So in comparison to you tough Canadians, here is how we wimpy Southern Californians deal with a drizzle -- here is a series of excerpts from our local news stations, breathlessly reporting the Storm -- very funny, and all of it genuine:

SoCal newscasters report the Storm!

What did she just ask me? "...I cover my head." Hahaha -

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So in comparison to you tough Canadians, here is how we wimpy Southern Californians deal with a drizzle -- here is a series of excerpts from our local news stations, breathlessly reporting the Storm -- very funny, and all of it genuine:

SoCal newscasters report the Storm!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LastOfTheBohica
Explorer
Explorer
trigley wrote:
I think you are referring to wind chill as forecasts I see are in mid -30's C. That won'take you feel much better if you are out in it but not quite as tough on vehicles, equipment etc. I would think -50C would pretty much shut everything down. I don't think I have seen -50C in my long life in AB SK & NWT & hope I never do. It is in the record books though. I have seen worse wind chills unfortunately.

I got to experience -55C (-68C Windchill) in Yellowknife, NWT one winter.

I don't complain about -30C anymore.
Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

soren
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
Big deal. :B

Boy, you ain't lying either. One 4th of July we sat with the local highway dept. road crew, during a BBQ in Tok. Those boys have an old native word to describe the temps. climbing above -30F. They call it "Spring" :B

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Big deal. :B

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
Oops! Had a senior moment there. Forgot that I ain't got no Canadian friends from the interior.

GM

In fact you do. Probably more than you would think. A couple of years back you mentioned your GF riding with or knowing Quanah Parker. A new name to me so I looked it up then read the book Empire of the Summer Moon. Very Interesting. I thank you for that.
Back to subject! In gratitude we are going to pack up & send you our beautiful sunny -50 whatever weather. Enjoy!!:B

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
trigley wrote:
I think you are referring to wind chill as forecasts I see are in mid -30's C. That won'take you feel much better if you are out in it but not quite as tough on vehicles, equipment etc. I would think -50C would pretty much shut everything down. I don't think I have seen -50C in my long life in AB SK & NWT & hope I never do. It is in the record books though. I have seen worse wind chills unfortunately.

Well - I was cross - country skiing, with a group of hardy friends, at Easter time at Lake Louise - in 1954, before the ski area was developed. Staying in the Canadian Youth Hostel, adjacent to the Park Warden's site. About 2 AM every one of our group suddenly woke up! Re-stoked the wood stove and shivered until morning broke. Skied over to the Warden's office and checked their official recording thermometer It showed -60 F for about 2 AM!!

300 inches of snow at that location that winter!!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but just had to share a "cold" memory! 38F this morning in Mesa AZ!
John

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
The other nice thing is that the days will start getting longer in a little over 2 weeks.

That is true, however the evenings start to get lighter right around now as this is the time of the earliest sunset for much of the US. We're a little to the north just south of the 49th parallel, so our earliest sunset isn't until the 11th. Nice to think that the evenings will start getting lighter!
There is a downside to this though as the mornings here will continue to get darker until early January, but even later the farther south you go.
Here is a link to Earth & Sky that explains why the earliest sunset and latest sunrise do not happen at the solstice.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Gunnison, CO for 8-years and we regularly saw temps below -30F. The coldest I saw was -48F. We were living in a mobile home at the time and the furnace ran non-stop. My Toyota Tacoma was parked outside and actually started at -48F, but there were a lot of grinding noises. Sometimes I would walk to the bus and my knees would stiffen up. Glad to live in N California now where "Cold" means below 50F. Sadly, my neighbor had to move to Saskatoon for health reasons (dust mite allergy).
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg