cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salt Lake City to Crater Lake, OR

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
What is your recommended route? I see Rt 140 from I80 thru Nevada & Oregon to Klamath Falls is the most direct. Any problem on that road towing a 30' trailer? This will be at the end of September. Thanks for all recommendations.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
7 REPLIES 7

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
Great info from all and especially Ken with the detailed info! I guess my only concern will be fuel if facing a headwind. I read on-line that the fuel station in Denio Junction was to be closed for new tank installation earlier this year and have not found anything confirming that they have re-opened.

Just Google Denio Junction NV. and get the phone number and give them a call to see if they have gas or diesel.
J herb

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Great info from all and especially Ken with the detailed info! I guess my only concern will be fuel if facing a headwind. I read on-line that the fuel station in Denio Junction was to be closed for new tank installation earlier this year and have not found anything confirming that they have re-opened.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the article, Ken. I am so glad we took this route. I did study it extensively using Google Earth before deciding to take it from Klamath Falls to Winnemucca. I had a bit of uncertainty before I "took the plunge" and passed the point of no return, but it remains one of more memorable drives, up there with Utah 12. We never did see in print or on signs any indication of length limitations--maybe we just missed them. Our route was from Crater Lake to Salt Lake and on to Colorado. I would use that route in the future without a bit of uncertainty.

EDIT TO ADD: We must have been lucky about the wind. We didn't have any.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The main thing that can make this drive tough is if the winds kick up. The part from Winnemucca NV to Lakeview, OR is a kind of out in the middle of nowhere drive, but interesting. Check out this write up on the road: article
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware, 140 has,length restrictions east of 395.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We took 140 from Klamath Falls to Winnemucca, NV a few years ago. We enjoyed it. Surely one of the most remote drives we've ever made, but not even one moment of concern pulling our 34' fifth-wheel. Just be sure that you fill up with fuel. Based on our experience I would not hesitate at all to take that route again.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I80 to Reno, 395 north to Alturus, then NW to KFalls, 97 north