cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV permit question, going my way?

Ronjoez
Explorer
Explorer
I returned my RV permit last year as I was buying a new RV and now need to buy another permit. I have my receipt in case Customs gives me a problem. I think I bought a RV permit years ago at the Douglas, Arizona crossing. Can I still buy a permit there?
BTW, did they move the concrete barriers coming back into the US at Nogales so we can get a RV through. It is horrendous trying to cross at Nogales and I dread having to do it.
Think I read somewhere I can take a 50cc scooter into Mexico and don’t need a permit. I have South Dakota plates/registration and the title. I will go to the consulate in Tucson to find out but does anyone know anything about this? I used to have a bike but had to give it up and buy a scooter to get around. Can't lift my leg to swing it over the bike seat so had to buy something I could just step on and off without a problem. Getting old is not for sissies.
Also, I will be taking the coastal highway down to Chapala sometime in November, anyone going my way? I built a place for my RV there back in 2007 but will have to sell it this year as the drive is more difficult every year.
I read this forum and the Chapala web forum and seems to be conflicting information as to the condition of the cuota, 15D. What’s the latest? Thanks for your help, Ron
29 REPLIES 29

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Should be a slam dunk on a 180-day permit. You have an ideal setup IMHO. Legal on the street. By the way using a pricey manganese square link steel chain and a "shrouded" padlock reduces chances of theft radically. Hacksaws, rotary grinders, and four foot long Rigid bolt cutters cannot touch manganese square link chain.

I know folks who drain both tires of air to help prevent theft. Due to fuel prices I want to buy a $23.000 peso COSTCO scooter for bopping around the tiny town. Good luck with 2-1/2 months of social security income 😞

Hope will be fine.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Should be a slam dunk on a 180-day permit. You have an ideal setup IMHO. Legal on the street. By the way using a pricey manganese square link steel chain and a "shrouded" padlock reduces chances of theft radically. Hacksaws, rotary grinders, and four foot long Rigid bolt cutters cannot touch manganese square link chain.

I know folks who drain both tires of air to help prevent theft. Due to fuel prices I want to buy a $23.000 peso COSTCO scooter for bopping around the tiny town. Good luck with 2-1/2 months of social security income 😞

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Motorbikes 499 cc and under get added as an accessory to an 180 day permit. A 10-year RV permit cannot have an accessory. Choose one. 10 year permit with no motorbike or 180 day permit with a motorbike.

Non street legal motorbikes will be refused their own 180 day permit. The vehicle must have license plates, and functioning highway lighting. So the husband wife 2 permits thing is a pipe dream unless the motorbike is street legal in the USA. They are strict about this. And Aduana is every bit as strict about the motor bike as they are a car. A big Harley would require a top tier deposit, a 499 cc or under motorbike issued a 180 day permit squeezes through for the 200 dollar deposit.

And non plated motorbikes can be cited (read CAN again, it does not mean WILL) for unregistered use on a public street. Carry a ZEROX copy of legal ownership with you when you putt-putt into town. Enforcement is utterly up to the attitude of local government. Things change to serious if a Highway Patrol catches you on an SCT highway. Keep it in mind.

My bike is plated and street legal. Last year it was too but I did not have a TIP, it was on the RV 180 days TIP. Hope to go through no problem, both are on my name.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Motorbikes 499 cc and under get added as an accessory to an 180 day permit. A 10-year RV permit cannot have an accessory. Choose one. 10 year permit with no motorbike or 180 day permit with a motorbike.

Non street legal motorbikes will be refused their own 180 day permit. The vehicle must have license plates, and functioning highway lighting. So the husband wife 2 permits thing is a pipe dream unless the motorbike is street legal in the USA. They are strict about this. And Aduana is every bit as strict about the motor bike as they are a car. A big Harley would require a top tier deposit, a 499 cc or under motorbike issued a 180 day permit squeezes through for the 200 dollar deposit.

And non plated motorbikes can be cited (read CAN again, it does not mean WILL) for unregistered use on a public street. Carry a ZEROX copy of legal ownership with you when you putt-putt into town. Enforcement is utterly up to the attitude of local government. Things change to serious if a Highway Patrol catches you on an SCT highway. Keep it in mind.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on crossing at Colombia with the RV and a 400cc burgman scooter/motorcycle on the hitch. Last year at Colombia, I had a 250cc scooter and they listed it on the RV 180 days TIP, no separte TIP for the scooter. Both, the RV and the scoot is on my name.

Wonder if it will be the same this year? Will I have to drive the motorcycle on it's onw?

I was planning to cross at Ojinaga but this border does not seem to handle many RV as I saw in april and maybe I would have trouble to cross with the RV and the Scoot.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ron: NO NO NO. You do not use the downtown crossing. The route to avoid the barriers is the same route all the Mexican buses use. Once you leave the last toll booth you simply head towards downtown. BUT there is a road before the downtown crossing that takes you to the truck crossing only you will be on the right side of the barriers. No narrow roads. part of this route is a divided road. The rest is a major street. Trucks and buses use those streets. We have had our 42 ft. Dynasty towing a full size Silverado use that route. I think I posted the route some time in the spring.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Use the Mariposa crossing, not the downtown crossing.

We just had friends in a truck with a boat behind them, 9 feet wide, 52 feet total length try to cross in downtown. They had no damage, but the Mexicans sent them back through the US side because they wouldn't fit. They got back into the US and had an easy crossing at Mariposa, the so called truck entrance.

The scooter?? My sweetie really really wanted one here for around town-until we saw a couple of crashes and our gardener was very seriously injured. The desire for one went away.

Ronjoez
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. I usually use the truck crossing and hesitant to use the crossing in downtown Nogales. Is it safe to drive a 30’ RV thru the downtown border crossing going south and coming back north? I usually avoid driving thru the villages due to narrow roads and heavy traffic. I have walked around Nogales on both sides of the border and didn't think it was a good way to go. I used to cross near El Paso but over the years there were fewer and fewer places to stay overnight so switched to Nogales. I will be leaving my scooter stored in Tucson as I don't want to go thru the hassle of getting an extra permit. A friend of mine in Chapala rode one around town and fell while making a turn on the cobblestone street and broke his leg. That was always in the back of my mind when I posted this. I used to ride my bike but after the 3rd time of almost being hit by drivers while in a bike lane or riding on the berm, I gave up. The buses have become overcrowded in Chapala, you never know when one will arrive and when it does it is packed. I think they cut back on bus service as it seemed there were fewer buses running last time I was there. Ron

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The only way that more than one motor vehicle can be registered is if one person registers the RV and the toad and a different person registers the motor bike.

No 1 person... RV and toad
RV 10 year permit, toad 180 days

No 2 person ... motor bike
bike 180 days

That is why it is good to have vehicle registrations in both wifes and husbands names, the RV and motor bike can go under one name and the toad under another name.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
navigator: But if the OP is going to get a 180 day for his toad or tow vehicle he cannot get a separate TIP for the bike. Only one 180 day TIP per person. However I think the bike could be added to the 180 day vehicle permit. As for the Nogales crossing: We crossed into Mexico yesterday but the traffic was too heavy to see if anything had changed for Northbound RV's. I came through in June and it was still the same. Unless you know for sure it is improved DO NOT ATTEMPT to use the old route. If you are wrong it will be a nightmare and you will end up damaging your RV. I will never try that old route until I see with my own eyes that it is OK. Someone reported that they removed a barrier last March. I crossed in April and nothing had changed. Personally I don't think it will ever change. Homeland Security is a huge bureaucracy and they really do not care about RV'rs. The route to avoid the barriers is really not that hard. There are far worse routes in Mexico. BTW: 15D is in OK condition up to Hermosillo. Lots of construction but no damage from the heavy rains.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Need to clarify, the RV gets a 10 year permit and the motorized addition gets 180 days permit, not that the addition of a motorized unit reduces the RV's permit to 180 days.

So it is this way

RV... 10 year permit

Toad, motorcycle, scooter, boat with outboard, ETC.... 180 day TIP

In esence the RV can stay in Mexico for the 10 years, anything else needs to go back out after the 180 days, we have the RV with the 10 year permit and the toad with the 180 days in my name, at the 180 days we go to my brothers house in San Antonio for a few weeks and then we return with the toad in my wifes name, since both names are on the paperwork we actually each import the toad once per year, and it coinsides with the tourist visa, we do not always take the RV to Texas it stays in Mexico faster trip that way.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
499 cc and fewer does not need a separate permit (verified). But it WILL be added onto a vehicle permit as an accessory and an Aduanero at Sonoyta told me bluntly, the accessory will not be added on to a 10-year permit. This means getting a 180-day permit.

I can confirm that, the moment you add any motorized vehicle to a 10 year permit it becomes 180 day.

Talleyho69
Check on line, and when in doubt, enter at Nogales.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
499 cc and fewer does not need a separate permit (verified). But it WILL be added onto a vehicle permit as an accessory and an Aduanero at Sonoyta told me bluntly, the accessory will not be added on to a 10-year permit. This means getting a 180-day permit.

Talleyho69
I can answer a couple of your questions easily now.

You can get your TIP, (Temporary Importation Permit) at any crossing into Mexico. The easiest way to get your permit is on line. Tequila posted a great step by step instruction guide, put this in the search bar - On line permit applications for 2018/2019

I'm in the process of updating the "Stickies" and will be including his post, he did a great job.

He also covers your scooter.

The latest road conditions are available right here, just scroll down. As of yesterday, 15D was fine. Check this posting - (Sigh) Yet Another Storm Northern Mexico

Keep watching, your other questions will be answered! Be sure to share what you find out, too. Moderator