cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv painting in rocky point

New_Mexico_Road
Explorer
Explorer
any recommendations for replacing motorhome stripping in rocky point?
10 REPLIES 10

mspriggs
Explorer
Explorer
IAM GOING TO BE IN PLAYA BONITA IN ROCKY POINT IN APRIL. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE CARPET REPLACED IN MY RV. KNOW ANYONE?-

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
As an update, I had some motorcycle panels done at Rocky Point last week by a different guy, Santiago's, I believe. The first time he brought them back they had severe orange peel. The second time they were better but still had minor orange peel along with some hair/dirt in the paint as well as a chip in one. Due to a family matter we had to return early so that is the end result.

Santiago is the guy that was driving around in Playa Bonita last year trying to drum up business. I don't know how many jobs he got in the 6 weeks we were there.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
As an update, I had some motorcycle panels done at Rocky Point last week by a different guy, Santiago's, I believe. The first time he brought them back they had severe orange peel. The second time they were better but still had minor orange peel along with some hair/dirt in the paint as well as a chip in one. Due to a family matter we had to return early so that is the end result.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the work done in Algadones the price is higher but the workmanship is great. They use USA paint. They also do not paint outdoors!
Moisheh

boatman10
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in the custom boat building business for 40 years.....there is paint and then there is paint.....UV resistance all has to do with the UV stabilizer used in the paint formula.....the best one is expensive.

Dupont, BASF and PPG are the best names in paint....dupont's chroma and imron elite lines are their best....a quart can be as much as 250$ [reds]

PPG has a large range of paint quality and prices.

the catalysts for these paints have cyanide in them and are dangerous, organic vapor masks must be used [they sell these at home depot or lowes!]

spraying base color coat/clear coat out in the sun is problematic.....much care must be taken to get the clear on before the base dries too much[in minutes for dark colors in the sun] or down the road the clear will separate [you see this on car hoods and roofs].

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
Chuey does a good job however it will not be as good as what you would spend 6 times the amount for here in the US.

I won't be using him again.

Why?

I had him do two jobs for me. The first looked great paint wise for a few months and then looked very bad, but the repair didn't match the other panels. He fixed the paint a few months later on my next journey. He saw how bad it looked and reshot it without any prompting from me. He drove by, looked at it and came back later to finish it, not a single word was exchanged. I liked that but that didn't fix the poor body work they did.

I had him do another minor repair on the other side. When he wanted his money I pointed out how bad it looked as the panels didn't match. After much drama and feet dragging he spent 10 minutes and solved the problem.

It is a sort of OK job but I didn't hire him for an OK job. The price set was to do a good repair and he just hasn't done that.

Paint quality seems OK but the body work and prep doesn't.

On another note, Geraldo that does the murals inside & out has done some fantastic jobs that have held up for years in the sun and wind. I have had him do some work and am absolutely satisfied. I haven't heard a single bad word about his work, everyone seems very satisfied.

I'll be there for the next couple of weeks, let me know if you're around & I'll show you.
Jim

MK2
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Edgar at Concha Del Mar, the RV dry camp on the east side of the Playa Bonita Hotel, he knows a painter by the name of Pelucho, he will beat Chuey hands down. I had Chuey remove some decals on my Motorhome and paint them back, it was not good, lots of overspray, took his time as he had too many projects going at the same time.
Be careful..

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
Chuey does a good job however it will not be as good as what you would spend 6 times the amount for here in the US.

Why?

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:

Jim

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a little paint and clear coat repair done in Playa Bonita. I have witnessed complete coach paint jobs, decal removal and paint replacement. Chuey does a good job however it will not be as good as what you would spend 6 times the amount for here in the US. I have a friend that paid almost $3K to peel and paint stripes on their coach in Yuma and it looked like ****. The same job in PP would run 800 to $1K

A few hints if you go: Let the painter get the paint in PP. That way, if the color is off, then it on him. I had paint mixed in the US and the color match was so bad, I had to have Chuey get more paint there. You can always do a little horse trading. Painters like the yellow micro fiber cloths that yo can get in Costco. Good air compressors are hard to come by in Mexico so you might want to pick up one at Harbor Freight. Air hoses are also in short supply. Take some paint filters and paint thinner also. All good trading items.