cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route to McCall Idaho

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. Traveling in 40' Class A towing. Which road is easier travel to McCall, Idaho from the Boise area? We are in Mountain Home and will soon be traveling up that way. Is 55 better than US Hwy 95?
Thanks for any input!
Steve'n'Kris
8 REPLIES 8

rvdivers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who replied. We came up 55 and it is beautiful, scenic (and hot). Having a warm spell right now. Hope it quits. And ReneeG - yes, there were some folk who just couldn't wait for a pull out and passed us endangering themselves, the oncoming traffic and us. We are courteous drivers as where we originally come from we traveled 2 lane roads frequently and used every opportunity to pull over for those behind us. We will travel back down to the valley using 95 just to see the difference. Thanks again to all replies. Much appreciated!!
Steve'n'Kris

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 55 from Boise to McCall is winding canyon for the first section, the after your climb up to the Round Valley, it's wide open and fairly flat after that except a short climb and downgrade north of Cascade on Little Donner Summit.
If you go around on Hwy 95 through Weiser, Cambridge and New Meadows, then on over to McCall, it is a bit longer and about the same in climbs in short sections. When we head up there, we always go Hwy 55. It's scenic, but watch the other drivers. A lot of people like to speed through there and there tends to be quite a few accidents. In just the last two weeks there have been three.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
511.idaho.gov

Single line traffic: alternating directions on SH-55 Both Directions from MM (98) to MM (99). 4/24/2023 9:00 AM to 11/15/2023 7:00 PM Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Sat, Sun: Paused all day Speed Restriction: 25mph Activities: look out for flagger.
Comment
One way alternating traffic controlled by flaggers. Daytime work only. Speed reduction of 25 mph within project limits.
Start Time Apr 24 2023, 9:00 AM
Anticipated End Time Nov 15 2023, 7:00 PM
Recurrence Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri:
7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Sat, Sun:
Paused all day

Last Updated Apr 25 2023, 9:29 AM

I live in the area and although they are working on road in the Smith's Ferry area, they don't always have flaggers or stop you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Durb wrote:
I pulled a 23 ft. boat up 55 from Boise to Lake Payette State Park. A beautiful road but intimidating. My trip was in a pouring rain, and the road follows the Payette River which could have been best described as a long waterfall. No guard rails in many area and a river I could not have escaped from. No way would I do it in winter. There is a pretty decent climb outside of Emmett.

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Either way is about the same.

Agree w both.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
511.idaho.gov

Single line traffic: alternating directions on SH-55 Both Directions from MM (98) to MM (99). 4/24/2023 9:00 AM to 11/15/2023 7:00 PM Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Sat, Sun: Paused all day Speed Restriction: 25mph Activities: look out for flagger.
Comment
One way alternating traffic controlled by flaggers. Daytime work only. Speed reduction of 25 mph within project limits.
Start Time Apr 24 2023, 9:00 AM
Anticipated End Time Nov 15 2023, 7:00 PM
Recurrence Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri:
7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Sat, Sun:
Paused all day

Last Updated Apr 25 2023, 9:29 AM
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 23 ft. boat up 55 from Boise to Lake Payette State Park. A beautiful road but intimidating. My trip was in a pouring rain, and the road follows the Payette River which could have been best described as a long waterfall. No guard rails in many area and a river I could not have escaped from. No way would I do it in winter. There is a pretty decent climb outside of Emmett.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Either way is about the same.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We came up US 95 a couple years ago but not all the way from Boise. We picked it up coming from Stanley. It's perfectly fine. took itt all the way to Bonners Ferry. We took it down from Bonners Ferry to Lewiston this year, a few weeks ago.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper