cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route around Jacksonville Fl

mirwin
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I will be leaving from Knoxville Tn heading to Wauchula Fl pulling a 40ft 5th Whl. I don't want to go through Atlanta and thought I95 South would be a much better drive. I have recently heard that the roads can be hectic around Jacksonville Fl. Any thoughts or suggestions to avoid that area?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Take I-295 East around Jacksonville. To avoid Atlanta and Jacksonville, Take I-40 to Ashville, NC. Then I-26 to Spartanburg, SC. Then take I 85 South to Commerce, Ga. and then take US 441 South. Through Athens, Watkinsville, onto Madison, Ga. Take the US 441 bypass around Madison to I-20. Take I-20 west one exit GA 83 South. Take Ga 83 South through Monticello to Forsyth, Ga. and Get on I-75 South. Take I-75 South to I-4 South in Orlando, and then US 98 to Wauchula. These are all good, wide roads, well marked, and will easily accommodate your 5the wheel. There are plenty of places where you can refuel, stop for meals, and even a few RV parks and state parks close by as well.

Do take the 441/129 Bypass but instead of turning Left at the light on 441 bypass where the ChicFilA and Wal-Mart is, is to go straight thru the light (Chic Fil A will be on the left, Wal-Mart on the right) and its a two lane road about a mile long (Lions Club Rd.), to the stop sign and turn left onto GA 83. Saves getting on and off of I-20. There is one grade level rail line, but the crossing is relatively smooth and level.

There is a Pilot if you make the left and stay on 441 bypass, but there is an Exxon on 83 at the interchange that will be less crowded and easier to maneuver in and out of.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
I/295 East is a nicer drive than I/95 but they take about the same amount of time. Almost every time I take I/295 I meet a truck or RV we were driving near on I/95 at the junction. But it's a much nicer ride!

This route is more prone to traffic delay due to the wrecks constantly on east 295 with school now back in session. We avoid that area like the plague. Depending on what time of day you come through will dictate which way to go.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
We get off of I-95 at the first exit past the welcome center in Florida and take that around to US-301 to Ocala. Very pleasant drive that way.

We do the same, exit at Yulee.

BUT.....given his starting point, there is absolutely, positively NO GOOD REASON to go all the way over to 95. None.

People need to get over this irrational fear of Atlanta.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
We get off of I-95 at the first exit past the welcome center in Florida and take that around to US-301 to Ocala. Very pleasant drive that way.

We do the same, exit at Yulee.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I4 thru Orlando is suffering a multi Billion $ redesign right now and it suuuuccckkss.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

trailerbob
Explorer
Explorer
To miss Jacksonville and onto Wauchula FL, In Georgia I would go South on I95 to FL border to HWY 200 west (1st exit I think) to Callahan and Baldwin FL. Continue south on 301 all the way down through Hawthorne FL. and Waldo FL where you could catch I75 at Ocala FL. to I4 to Lakeland and then south on 98 to Wauchula.

Another option, if in no hurry, would be instead of catching I75 in Ocala would be to continue south on 301 until you hit 98 south of Dade City FL and then take 98 through Lakeland into Wauchula.

I used to drive I95 from Norfolk VA to Tampa all the time and I always bypassed Jacksonville and cut across Florida by taking 200 to 301 to Ocala and down I75 into Tampa. I now live in Sarasota and I try to stay away from I4 nd Orlando as much as posible. I let all the tourists use it while I take the secondary roads. I am usually in no hurry and enjoy the coutryside anyway.

Opps-- Just realized your in Knoxville, I just drove from Pigeon Forge to Sarasota 2 weeks ago. The 20 miles north of Atlanta (Ackworth/Cartersville area is always backed up.) I vote to go do south through downtown Atlanta. I don't do the bypasses. Just time yourself to go through between 11 and 2. It's not that bad, (my opinion) but everybody is different and you need to do what is comfortable for you. I went through at about 3:00 in a CLass A, minor slowdowns, Just drive carefully, Have plenty of fuel, watch your lanes and use Blinkers to change lanes. I've experienced that most Altanta drivers are quite courteous and realize you need more room and usually give it to you.

If in no hurry and want to try something different try going down 200, 301 etc.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Same problem as JAX, the western bypass is more crowded than the main road.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would take I-75 and go through Atlanta. Stay in the second lane from the right, changing lanes as necessary to do so. Do not take the I-285 loop, stay on I-75. Try to go through mid-morning or early afternoon. That will save you 1.5 hours and 80 miles, not to mention at least 5 gallons of fuel.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are going to engineer a big mistake here.

I-95 is pathetic, both in the amount of traffic and the bad state of repair for a lot of the way.

The days of a leisurely drive on a lightly traveled Interstate are gone forever. Any choice you make will be varying degrees of bad.

Take I-75 all the way. It is much better than 95 and MUCH better than taking a non-interstate snakes trail.....unless you really want the scenic route and maybe 2 extra days for the trip.

Go right THROUGH Atlanta at a non-rush hour time. Weekend or mid-day or before 6 AM or after 8 PM. Semi's are required to use the bypass so avoid that.

I dislike Chattanooga a lot more than Atlanta. Nashville is bad at times too. If you time it right, you can sail right through Atlanta.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a bit of construction on the eastern bypass a month or so when we went north.

But I don’t know the condition the road is thru town.

Either way you go, on a weekday the heavy flow is south in the afternoon.

I like to take US 301 outside of Colombia SC to I75 north of Ocala. Four lane divided, good road.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I/295 East is a nicer drive than I/95 but they take about the same amount of time. Almost every time I take I/295 I meet a truck or RV we were driving near on I/95 at the junction. But it's a much nicer ride!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-295 East around Jacksonville. To avoid Atlanta and Jacksonville, Take I-40 to Ashville, NC. Then I-26 to Spartanburg, SC. Then take I 85 South to Commerce, Ga. and then take US 441 South. Through Athens, Watkinsville, onto Madison, Ga. Take the US 441 bypass around Madison to I-20. Take I-20 west one exit GA 83 South. Take Ga 83 South through Monticello to Forsyth, Ga. and Get on I-75 South. Take I-75 South to I-4 South in Orlando, and then US 98 to Wauchula. These are all good, wide roads, well marked, and will easily accommodate your 5the wheel. There are plenty of places where you can refuel, stop for meals, and even a few RV parks and state parks close by as well.