cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2019

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Things seem to be a bit slow lately, so Let's get the ball rolling for next year. Scuttlebutt has it that several folks are looking northward for springtime road trips.

I would like to say, if the planets align, and the Lord keeps us healthy, our new trailer (on order) is ready, that we are planning to cross the 49th parallel at Eastport, Idaho on, or about May 1.
We will be on a slow schedule, but hope to cross into Alaska in early to mid June.

So how about it? Who else is planning to be going that direction?
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…
138 REPLIES 138

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Slowly rolling that way, will need to spend an extra day in Calgary as the fridge stopped working, and send to bed unrelated to the right side electric not working. How's the heat? Heard it's nicer here for a change.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Seward, just did the 7/5 hour boat ride and the Capt. made a detour of 26 miles so we could see Whales Bubble Net. Awesome!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Prince Ruppert now.
Cool city scenery-vise, but lot of vacant buildings and lot on unemployed people in the parks.
$17 (CA) for fish burger.
Only 1500 miles to Anchorage, but friend offered me boat ride, so we wait for weather cooperation.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
bump - to get it back to the top.

Hey - where you guys??

It has been over a week and no one has posted anything. gee wiz -come on now.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts:

- 8 Weeks is pretty short (thinking of vacation / leisure) for a trip from South to Alaska and back. Would agree with Veebyes to eliminate some time in the continental U.S. and spend more of the 8 weeks in Canada / Alaska.

- Agree that Prince Rupert is cool as well as a bit out of the way unless you're headed there anyway.

- Agree with GritDog: Based on what is now getting to be pretty ancient experience, I understand why the seagulls fly upside down over Prince George...nothing down there worth you-know-whatting on.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
I am 200 miles from Canadian border near Vancouver and should do the 200 miles in a week ;).
Price Rupert is my next designated stop. Any other suggestions?

Prince Rupert is a cool town. You taking the ferry from there? Otherwise it’s a long drive to see a coastal town unless you’re headed that way to take the Cassiar further north.
Suggestion? Prince George is a shathole, don’t get nothing but fuel there. And the stops along the way, except for Terrace are shatholes too. Mostly on the res as I recall.

Either way, some of the most beautiful country around. Good bear viewing.
Of course we just saw a good size blackie right in town in Chilliwack on Friday!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, the Walmart parking lot in Whitehorse is now off-limits to overnight campers.

You can read the CBC article for more info:
Whitehorse Walmart enforcing ban on parking lot campers
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/whitehorse-walmart-camping-parking-lot-1.5183815
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am 200 miles from Canadian border near Vancouver and should do the 200 miles in a week ;).
Price Rupert is my next designated stop. Any other suggestions?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
8 weeks! You might want to eliminate the Yellowstone & Glacier parts & head straight for Alaska. On one of our 4 trips to Alaska we were in Canada for almost a month simply going nnorth doing the Banff to Jasperhighway, stunning views, then up the Cassiar highway. Total time in Alaska was over a month. Not nearly enough time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
Faststreak wrote:
Tomorrow we are leaving Mississippi headed towards Yellowstone, glacier, Yukon and Alaska. We traveling with our Ram longhorn dually and host cascade camper. Wife and are excited we have eight weeks and never been on this route before. Hope to do some fishing along the way.

We are six weeks into our trip. I hope you’re coming up through Banff and Jasper National parks! Well worth it! Saw 17 bears in BC and Yukon, one was hit on the road. We are currently in Kenai and heading over to Wrangell tomorrow. It’s been a great trip! A few bumps along the way but great so far!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow we are leaving Mississippi headed towards Yellowstone, glacier, Yukon and Alaska. We traveling with our Ram longhorn dually and host cascade camper. Wife and are excited we have eight weeks and never been on this route before. Hope to do some fishing along the way.

GettinToad
Explorer
Explorer
Bumping this up.
We crossed the border at Aldergrove about 10am today. One lane open and no wait !
Came up 1 along the Fraser and Thompson rivers, and currently in a very quiet and almost empty campground at Lac la Heche. There was a fire just past the 12 intersection but it wasn’t large when we passed and was being fought from the road.
Crossed paths with a field editor for the Milepost and chatted for about an hour at one of the provincial campgrounds along the Thompson River that we stopped at for a break.
I am really surprised we’re not seeing more rv’s, although I’m sure over the next few weeks that’ll change.

k.
'05 F350 XLT 6.0 ccsb 4x4 zf6.
2015 Lance 865
Couple of jeeps...

'85 Tidwell Silver Eagle 27' - For Sale

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The fire ban has been lifted due to the amount of rain we're having now. Here's the updated CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-fire-ban-lifted
According to the article, "there have been 29 wildfires in Yukon, burning about 16,116 hectares (39823 acres). Eight of those fires are still considered active."
Parks Canada continues to ban open fires in Kluane National Park, which includes burning in fire pits. https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/yt/kluane/bulletins/
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to a ranger here at the park. He confirmed there is a fire ban but having a camp fire in a fire ring at the park is ok as long as it is not left unattended.
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Here is a super dependable weathercam site used for aviation with 100's of cameras across Alaska and scroll down to Canadian sites. Use the map tab if your not familiar with names.

AVCAM's
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded