cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2019

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Things seem to be a bit slow lately, so Let's get the ball rolling for next year. Scuttlebutt has it that several folks are looking northward for springtime road trips.

I would like to say, if the planets align, and the Lord keeps us healthy, our new trailer (on order) is ready, that we are planning to cross the 49th parallel at Eastport, Idaho on, or about May 1.
We will be on a slow schedule, but hope to cross into Alaska in early to mid June.

So how about it? Who else is planning to be going that direction?
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…
138 REPLIES 138

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be flying out in August but if you have your RV.Net name posted anywhere on your until I'll be sure to say hello!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
MNMCKAY wrote:
AK here we come finally. Would you please share with us IF you'd recommend and IF so HOW TO protect the front of our Lance travel trailer. Thanks in advance

Automotive clear protective plastic film works great! I live in Alaska and have the entire front of my truck and rocker panels covered in clear film. Spray on bed liner would also work well to absorb the rocks and not hurt the RV.

Fiberglass chips, aluminum dents (even diamond plate), plywood absorbs the rocks but hard to mount, a protective screen mounted to the front frame works but not pretty.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

MNMCKAY
Explorer
Explorer
AK here we come finally. Would you please share with us IF you'd recommend and IF so HOW TO protect the front of our Lance travel trailer. Thanks in advance

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Just an FYI for those of you headed up this summer. Two campgrounds south of Denali along the Parks Highway will be closed for the summer of 2019 due to spruce bark beetle killed dead trees.

Closed campgrounds Summer 2019
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For those who haven't yet purchased theirs, the 2019 Alaska Milepost is now available on Amazon. A necessity for me despite having worked and played in Alaska since 1972!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

repeach
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
repeach wrote:
We are Leaving AR May 23rd(ish). Straight up to Winnipeg, over through Edmondton, up the ALCAN. We will be there until the beginning of Sept and coming back the Cassiar into Washington.
When you leave Winnipeg, take a short side trip off Hwy. 1 to Riding Mountain National Park. Beautiful lake, great FHU campground, interesting small town to explore, and lots of wildlife before you even get to the Canadian Rockies and Alaska. Was an unexpected surprise for us and we have recommended it to a number of other RVers.

Thanks for the info. This is our 3rd trip to AK but we have not done Winnipeg before. I will mention it to the group (4 people, 2 RVs) and see if they want to stop.
Bob and Angel Peach
2018 Jayco Seneca Super C
2013 GMC Sierra

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
repeach wrote:
We are Leaving AR May 23rd(ish). Straight up to Winnipeg, over through Edmondton, up the ALCAN. We will be there until the beginning of Sept and coming back the Cassiar into Washington.
When you leave Winnipeg, take a short side trip off Hwy. 1 to Riding Mountain National Park. Beautiful lake, great FHU campground, interesting small town to explore, and lots of wildlife before you even get to the Canadian Rockies and Alaska. Was an unexpected surprise for us and we have recommended it to a number of other RVers.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes-we are not going to Banff and Jasper on the way to Alaska, we will catch them on the way home.

We have finally completed all our medical issues and will be leaving on April 22nd from Phoenix. This is a month later than we thought we would leave but life got in the way.

We will do some touring on the way to Dawson Creek,just not as much as we thought. We can catch up on the US touring some other time. We will try to take mostly "blue" roads unless we get time pressed. Then we will need to go on the Interstates.

We plan to mostly boondock as much as possible to try to keep costs down. There are a lot of public places to camp along the way. Once on the Al-Can there are plenty of places to pull off and most towns have a dump and water.

We have been working on our routing and everything we want to make sure we see or drive. Trip is starting to roughly come together.

Happy Trails to all...............

repeach
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
What has happened to this thread? Where are all those 2019 Alaska-bound travelers who just can't wait to get on the road? Are you all snowed in and won't be able to leave your driveway until the spring thaw? Just joking of course, but thought this might move the thread back onto the first page of the forum!

Here is one. We can't wait to hit the road. I have been making all kinds of mods to the RV, including extra fresh water, 480 Watts of solar, Basement heat (in case it freezes).

Bob and Angel Peach
2018 Jayco Seneca Super C
2013 GMC Sierra

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving May 28 from Manitoba Canada, heading up through Edmonton and up with the ALCAN and coming back down with the Cassiar HWY
Clandeboye , Manitoba

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
95? Don't see any hwy 95. There is 5 running S of Kamloops & 97 AKA the Cassiar Hwy. Both good roads.

On edit. Found 95. Man, that is a long long way from Banff or Jasper.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
I'm not asking about the Alaska leg. I am asking about hwy 95 on the west side of Banff/Jasper as a route rather than Icefields Parkway.

We crossed at Sweetgrass MT coming up from Texas went up through Calgary and took 1 over to Banff so the DW could do some shopping then took 1 over to 97 which is a very nice drive an 97 will take you to Dawson Creek.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

hehbr
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Florida on May 18 crossing into Canada at Sweetwater on May 29. Twelve days in the Canadian Rockies then on to Dawson Creek and the Alaska Highway arriving in Tok on June 25.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
What has happened to this thread? Where are all those 2019 Alaska-bound travelers who just can't wait to get on the road? Are you all snowed in and won't be able to leave your driveway until the spring thaw? Just joking of course, but thought this might move the thread back onto the first page of the forum!

I can't wait but we can't leave until August. We just got back from the SW.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

From Tok you do Alaska clockwise or anti clockwise. It is basically that simple. Not many roads to choose from.

Or, due west"ish" from Paxson To Denali.

Great place to boondock at Tangle Lakes.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition