cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2018

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Okay...I know 2017 hasn't even taken off, but those of you that remember me from Roll Call 2013 know that I plan well ahead of time, lol.
4 years is way too long to go without being in Alaska so we are heading up again. This time my sister (Barbara), her husband (Pat) and their baby poodle (Koko) are going with us with their Bounder. We are planning to leave from Bullhead City, AZ around the end of May.
Would love to get a roll call started if anyone else out there is as much of an early planner as I am.
For those of you heading up this year, have a safe and wonderful trip and maybe you will enjoy it so much that you will join us in 2018. :W

Janet and Gary
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow
532 REPLIES 532

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Stickdog, If you have the time, a visit to Custer State Park, in SD is a good stop. The animal sightings on the loop road is guaranteed to be a great experience.
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a couple nights at Red River Resort, Thackerville OK. After 9 days in Georgetown at Jim Hogg COE seeing how long we could get along on our 100 gal fresh water tank the laundry was piling up. Still had 13 gal when we left. Showers weren't much fun while conserving water so full hookup and plenty of water felt great. Red River Resort is just off I35 first exit in OK.
Pulled out at 9:00 AM and headed up to Coon Creek COE Ponca City, OK. Figured hitting it on a Sunday the locals would be vacating and they were, passed many outbound as we headed in.
Just an overnight at Coon Creek COE on to Belleville KS City campground in the AM for another overnighter then on to Yanton, SD area at another COE park.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone should be getting excited as time grows closer. Don't forget some kind of sign if you want to be spotted as one of us. We just got home from a cruise so now I have 2 weeks to get everything ready before hitting the road. So excited. Even when you have been before it never gets old and boring.
Everyone be safe and take your time and enjoy.

Janet
2012 Equinox tow

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
Roll Call Alaska 2018.....so far and our list just keeps growing. Welcome everyone !!

janetrupp..... Arizona.....Janet & Gary
badiamond.....Arizona.....Barbara & Pat & Koko
memtb.....Wyoming.....Todd & Marianne
rag-ftw.....Texas.....
Lwiddis.....California.....
Veebyes.....Bermuda/Maryland.....
Acampingwewillgo.....USA
bob nestor.....Texas
pirlbeck.....Iowa....
missnmountains.....Florida
bobkatmsu.....Florida
CA Traveler.....Arizona.....Diane & Bob
Williebago.....Kansas.....
Socalal.....California.....
c.traveler2.....California
caseyhoward.....Texas
Keyspirate.....TN & Florida
jnharley.....US
bobkatmsa.....Florida
Stickdog.....Texas
jacketsbum.....Ohio
fuzzyface.....Michigan
Just Lee.....California
danrclem.....Kentucky
Bizmarks Mom.....Idaho
n2light.....
Two Hands.....California
Mrcatahoula.....Florida
Pops.....North Carolina
Island Time.....Texas
Cbigham.....California
Want-to-travel.....So. California
Mrbarkley.....Kentucky
imamech2.....Texas
Texas Roadrunners.....Texas
Bdokatmsu.......Florida
Tgdakota.......Florida
jmckelvy.....Alabama
Fluidone.....Florida
Sheltie......California
Mabynack.....Florida
Pops49.....Nova Scotia
Discovery40X.....Texas
SC Bradley.....Alaska
Irishsettler.....Pennnsylvania
Jeslookin.....Wisconsin
GeeWillakers.....Victoria,BC
SanAntonioRoads.....Texas
Crowe.......Massachusetts
Jack N Coke......Washington
Godzilla1......Ohio
harr0007......Calif
CountryRoad REV......US
borderbrae......Florida

Welcome to our new Alaska travel buddies !
Again don't forget to read up on the sticky at the front of the forum and don't forget your signs, so we can find you

We are really going to have a great group going this year. Don't forget to make your signs so we can spot each other. Basically last time I just took some poster board from the dollar store and placed a few pictures and the words "Roll Call 2018". You can also post your name and CC name. Some (last time) placed it in their tow car window and some placed it in their MH window. We met some wonderful people. Usually we would meet up in the campgrounds and the sign helped us to spot each of us.

Janet
2012 Equinox tow

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
We have reached one milestone. Made it from the waters of the Atlantic to the waters of the Pacific. Run out of west so next is a turn to the north. Another week or so in OR & WA then almost 3 weeks on Vancouver Island before putting the real North in the sights. 3000 miles behind us. 12000 to go.

I've been to 46 states during my career in the Air Force. The only one's left to visit are Alaska, Washington State, Oregon and Hawaii. I'm hoping to hit three of the four on this trip.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have reached one milestone. Made it from the waters of the Atlantic to the waters of the Pacific. Run out of west so next is a turn to the north. Another week or so in OR & WA then almost 3 weeks on Vancouver Island before putting the real North in the sights. 3000 miles behind us. 12000 to go.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just got my new Endurance tires and wheel bearings packed. The rig is in the shop getting the roof resealed. I should get it back the first week of May so i can start packing for my 21 May departure from Florida. I plan on spending some time in Yellowstone and Glacier and then head north in June.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
missnmountains wrote:
We are washed, waxed and almost packed for a 5-2-18 departure. It should be another great trip. Hope to see you guys on the way.

Miss N Mountains the land yacht is ready to go.

Ken

You shouldn't have spent such effort on the wash! ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a good one!!

I know. Next wash Tok. Long ways away.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
We left Florida on the 16th. We followed a southern route through Dallas, Albuquerque and are now Provo, Utah. We are going to spend a few days here and let things warm up a bit before we move any further north.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
We are washed, waxed and almost packed for a 5-2-18 departure. It should be another great trip. Hope to see you guys on the way.

Ken

You shouldn't have spent such effort on the wash! ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a good one!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Bring your rain gear and cold weather clothing. Being from TX it will still feel like winter in the Yukon when you get there.

We left North Central WA in 2016 in Mid June and returned home mid Sept. Some snow in the northern Yukon on our way north and days of rain. Spent 3 nights in Fairbanks and it rained the entire time we were camped there.

Hwy 97 washed out back then South of Chetwyn BC so we diverted to the Casier Hwy to continue our way north.

When we crossed over the Top of the World Hwy to Dawson City Y.T. we slogged our way through 6" of mud on a section of the road due to the rain that had fallen there. I've drive the ToftWorld Hwy half a dozen times so I knew to expect the unexpected so I locked the trucks hubs in before we departed Chicken, AK. Never shifted the transfer case into 4x4 but it was close. Then we climbed into the clouds for around 50 miles and it was slitpea soup. 15-30 mph as visibility was near zero. Once we got closer to Dawson City we drooped down towards the Yukon River to take the ferry acroos to DC we also dropped out of the clouds and could see again.

Enjoy your trip north.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Heading north friday 4/27 from Georgetown TX plan on hitting the border 5/14. Too use to warm weather got to keep an eye on the temps.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

borderbrae
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a good idea to try them out. As I said, from the photos on the HF website it looks like you'll need to do a bit of assembling first. Take the time to get familiar and comfortable with getting them out, hooking them up and putting them away so you won't feel hurried or unsure when you're on the road.
Jean
Casita 17' SD
Chevy Silverado w/extended cab

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
borderbrae wrote:
That 100w kit will have everything you need. If you find it a bother to keep connecting to the battery with the clamps you could set up a pigtail with ring connectors on the battery posts, then you just connect the cable from the solar panel to the pigtail.

Do read the directions carefully. A lot of the controllers that are included in the kits are not waterproof. I can leave my panels out 24/7 because my controller is inside the trailer even though it is waterproof. it is more efficient to have the controller as close to the battery as possible.

I just looked more closely at the HF kit, you get the controller but have to put a lot of stuff together. If that's the case the closer you can put the controller to your battery the better. Worst thing is to have it sitting in the sun getting hot.

Another heads up, it is it windy be sure to tie the panels down so they can't blow over. I was camping in AZ in January and saw that some one's panels had blown over and since they were rigid glass 2 of them were smashed. I have the very lightweight flexible panels (100w and a 120w) with PVC frames, they've blown over but not broken or been damaged. I'm more careful to rig them so they can't blow over now.

Thank you. They should be here any day and I'm going to try them out before I leave.