cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll call Alaska 2017

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to get to Alaska next year, dreamed about it for years.

Anyone else planing a trip for next year?
191 REPLIES 191

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacketsbum,

If you have more time available, take it, unless you're planning on a second trip. Don't rush through Canada, there's just as much to see there as there is Alaska.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jacketsbum
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip for 2018! Looking at 8 weeks going from Ohio and back pulling a fiver. Is that enough? I figured for a trip like that I need to plan early!
We are calling it our bucket list trip! Glad to find this Alaska/Canada forum, will visit here often in the next year!

Going to do a three and a half week tune up to Yellowstone and Glacier this year in July. Taking the daughter and her family so we have to go prime time. Did it two years ago in Sept, it was great!
2018 Keystone Cougar 338 RLK
2013 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting here now in my Lance truck camper in Dawson Creek, BC. Beautiful day today. May hang around for another day to rest up from the last few days coming up thru Montana from NM.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
We leave Austin Jun 7, ferry Vancouver->Nanaimo June 23, reach Haines on the ferries July 12, plan back into Canada about mid August, home by mid September...
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving June 7th by plane :M will take a cruise for one week then two weeks on land. Still working full time so this will give us a feel for it and hopefully take the Moho at some point.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Ed_Rana2
Explorer
Explorer
ford-willy wrote:
Well tomorrow, Friday, is the start of our 3 month adventure north to Alaska. Getting last minute things done tonight. We pray for no major problems. Wishing all here a great journey also.

Safe travels,
We are schedule to depart from AZ next Saturday. First real stop, Glacier NP.
Ed & Sally
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28'
2015 Chevy 2500

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
AlaskaShooter wrote:
What's SAD is so many folks don't know Alaska is one of our 50 United States and uses US Currency. FAILED, US Geography in school.

Yes, Amazon Prime doesn't think we're part of the US either - half of the stuff I've tried to order recently they won't ship to Alaska.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Well tomorrow, Friday, is the start of our 3 month adventure north to Alaska. Getting last minute things done tonight. We pray for no major problems. Wishing all here a great journey also.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

HollardawgUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
Alaska Shooter, I envy you. I wish I would have had the guts to do what you did. You have my total admiration. If I had it to do over again, I would have been right there with you.

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
What's SAD is so many folks don't know Alaska is one of our 50 United States and uses US Currency. FAILED, US Geography in school.

You know Alaska is just off the California Coast next to Hawaii? And that you can't drive to it. Now that's SAD....

But I have to admit when I was back in my 20's and set forth to go work in Alaska it was a Real Adventure. I was a C student in school and knew Alaska was north of WA but had no idea how big and beautiful the state is. There was no WWW back then so I couldn't take a crash course on Alaska before moving north. I don't regret spending 25 years of my life living up North.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
AlaskaShooter wrote:
Before someone asks, I worked for 21 yrs for the JNU Police Dept. I was asked a few tines what currency is used in Akaska? No foreign accent so I suspect these were Americans. We use the Alaska wild life currency.

$1.00 = A Seagull
$5.00 = A Grouse
$10.00= A Wolf
$20.00= A Moose
$50.00= A Grizzly Bear
$100.00=A Humpback Whale
We dont have pennies. Nickel is a Salmon, Dime is an Otter & a Quarter is a Halibut.

Otherwise we use US Currency.

Gotta love cruise ship passengers. And now I are one. LOL

It's sad that you may have just confused a few folks!
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Before someone asks, I worked for 21 yrs for the JNU Police Dept. I was asked a few tines what currency is used in Akaska? No foreign accent so I suspect these were Americans. We use the Alaska wildlife currency.

$1.00 = A Seagull
$5.00 = A Grouse
$10.00= A Wolf
$20.00= A Moose
$50.00= A Grizzly Bear
$100.00=A Humpback Whale
We dont have pennies. Nickel is a Salmon, Dime is an Otter & a Quarter is a Halibut.

Otherwise we use US Currency.

Gotta love cruise ship passengers. And now I are one. LOL
2006 Lance 1191

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
Countdown until June 1 when I depart for Fairbanks and a summer volunteer job nearby. I expect to cross into Canada at Sweetgrass on about June 3.
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we left home with $2,000.00 in US currency. Once in BC on Day 1 I found a Credit Union and exchanged $1,000.00 US for $1,250.00 CD with exchange rate. I had two rolls if Loonies left from a prior visit to CD from years ago when I lived in Ketchikan for 4 yrs prior to moving to Juneau before I retired.

I was finally able to use all my Loonies doing laundry and at rig power wash outlets. When we needed more many laundromats had change machines that will change paper currency to their coin, the Loonie. Since a $5.00 bill is their smallest denomination you get 5 Loonies. Most machines will do $10.00 bills and some will even do a $20.00 bill.

And of course all RV Park owners will make change for you so you can give it back to them.

I even stopped at a laundry mat in Skagway and got 20 Loonies in a small baggie so we could do laundry back at the RV Park as the office was rarely open. It all worked out for us.

-George
2006 Lance 1191

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
CDN money...Loonies and twonies..or toonies...are the one and two dollar pieces. Otherwise, we use the same names for currancy..quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies.

Some..but not ALL machines in Canada will accept an american quarter. or dime. or nickels. Machines won't keep the US quarter..it'll just drop it into the recepticle.

And yes, our bills looks different than US currency.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canadian+currency&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY57vwz-3TAhUh...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/