cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2014

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to Alaska in 2014? We ,my wife and I, are planning a trip and was wondering if anyone is planning on going in 2014 also.
Would go this year, except we have two weddings to go to in MI, one in late June the other in early August.
So next year we are planning to leave home in NC in mid July, we plan a 2 month trip. We were there in 2004, only that time we were with paid RV tour. Loved it, and would take another paid tour in a 'heart beat', but the cost is now too much.
The reason for the mid July date is looking at the 2013 Alaska postings the wx, road conditions and insects are at their worst. Later in the season all three are better. Plus I want to travel back on the Cassiar Hwy in Sept is supposed to be the best time of the year on the Cassiar, plus less travelers.
Finally, money is an issue with us. So we will 'boon dock', stay at
free or low cost CG's, rest areas, etc. when ever possible.

Hope you all have a great trip and hope to see you some where along the way.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
1,645 REPLIES 1,645

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
There was not as many Eagles as two years ago, probably because of different dates. On the Kenai river, it was almost empty, no fisherman. The big salmon run have passed, I guess fishers will return on the next run.

When we stayed in Deep Creek a couple of weeks ago there were over 50 eagles hanging around the meadow and river area. Food must have been running low so they moved on.

thomasw
Explorer
Explorer
ejfranz wrote:
suedonlem wrote:
Has anyone been on the Top of the Highway last few days? We are thinking of going home thru there but getting a lot of mixed information.
Some say ok and others say don't chance it.

Did it today!
A larger motor home went over the edge either today or yesterday just 4 or 5 miles out of side of Chicken headed to Dawson.
I had no issues in my rig, but the large rigs were crawling, one guy I met just on the USA side of the border said it took him 2.5 hours from Chicken and it was hell. We did it in an hour 20.
There are some rough section!

I am in Dawson, planning to go on the TOW in a few days. I have been talking to people who have come across it from AK. They all say it is ok, just be cautious.

Also, if you need gasoline in Dawson, the AFD cardlock has it for
1.48. US credit cards work.
Tom & Kathy
(and Coco the Maltese)
2006 Fleetwood Flair 33R
2006 Jeep Commander

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
suedonlem wrote:
Has anyone been on the Top of the Highway last few days? We are thinking of going home thru there but getting a lot of mixed information.

Did it today!
A larger motor home went over the edge either today or yesterday just 4 or 5 miles out of side of Chicken headed to Dawson.
I had no issues in my rig, but the large rigs were crawling, one guy I met just on the USA side of the border said it took him 2.5 hours from Chicken and it was hell. We did it in an hour 20.
There are some rough section!
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Tok to Whitehorse has taken us 3 days stopping at Snag Jct Gov CG & Pine Lake Gov CG.

Snag Junction CG is a nice quiet spot. We used to swim there when I was a kid, and then skidoo there in winter!

We almost stopped at Pine Lake Gov CG last night after an overnight at Congdon Creek Gov CG on the shores of Kluane Lake and then lunch at Dezadeash Lake Gov CG, but decided to boogey the extra hour from Pine Lake to get home instead. :B

You likely passed our friends in their rental RV, heading towards Beaver Creek yesterday (Wednesday) from Kluane Lake where we had overnighted with them. Doesn't sound like they were one of the broken down ones though! They're hopefully on their way over the Taylor and Top of the World Hwys to Dawson City today.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came from Beaver Creek to Haines Jct. today. I thought with all the work going on, gravel areas, pilot cars, the road was in much better shape than about 45 days ago when we were going north.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got back from my Alaska trip, the first I've made since '67 and '68. Compared to back then, the Alcan is a breeze - the difference is unbelievable. A few spots under repair and the 100 miles right before the Alaska border were full of frost heaves requiring a lower speed, but over all it was a walk in the park. I spent about a month on the Kenai visiting my old home, plus I did Seward and Homer. On the way out I did Valdez, Haines and Skagway. Got stuck in Skagway for a couple of days because of a rock slide on the Canadian side that closed the highway, but I could think of a lot worse places to be "stuck" for a few days.

I did park at a friend's house while on the Kenai and I did mostly dry camping on the way up and back, so my camp fees were kept to a minimum. I also didn't do any of the tourist type things like tours, ferry rides, fishing trips, etc. My total cost for the trip of approx 11,000 miles was about $5,000. That breaks down to $3,000 for gas (I got about 17 MPG and used 687 gal), food was about $540 (just me), camp fees about $550 and Misc expenses about $1,000.

Hope this helps others who might be planning a trip.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in Whitehorse after doing the infamous Beaver Creek to Destruction Bay portion of the highway.

Must say that after reading here & talking to some, we found the road, for the most part, to be a breeze. Yes, there are a few sections under repair requiring the 'follow me' truck. Yes, there are a few sections which need to be gotton to by the repair people. Yes, there are some ferocious potholes to avoid. Yes, there are whoop dee doos to slow for. However, if driven at an appropriate speed it is no problem at all.

Had one zoom past us with a TT yesterday only to be past by us an hour later, broken down at the side of the road. Also saw a very nice class A broken down juist past a rough section & a Hitch Hiker 5er with running gear problems, tow truck at site. Vacations ruined for the sake of too much speed.

Tok to Whitehorse has taken us 3 days stopping at Snag Jct Gov CG & Pine Lake Gov CG.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
In Homer now, stayed at the town campground on the spit, $15.00, many spots available. We stayed at Deep Creek a couple of days ago, very nice as we camped right by the ocean. They removed a bunch of camping spots by the beach to regenerate the vegetation, not enouch vegetation in AK I guess! But there are many spots in the rest of the campsite with good views on the ocean and the Volcano. 10$, the place only had a dozen of campers. The clams fishing will be on in a couple of days and apparently this place will have many more campers.

There was not as many Eagles as two years ago, probably because of different dates. On the Kenai river, it was almost empty, no fisherman. The big salmon run have passed, I guess fishers will return on the next run.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our 2013 blog with lots of pictures.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Kave2u
Explorer
Explorer
42lou wrote:
Kave2u wrote:
Ok folks, i've followed this thread since it was started. I can't believe all you folks cruising around up there in the "Last Frontier" and NO PICTURES, What's up with that??? My motto is if you ain't got pictures then it didn't happen. So for all of us wannabe's stuck down in the lower 48, post'em if you got'em 😉

here you go

Thank You!! Many thanks to all of you for these links to the pics!

🙂
Kettrell & Sharon
Clinton, NC
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
Kave2u wrote:
Ok folks, i've followed this thread since it was started. I can't believe all you folks cruising around up there in the "Last Frontier" and NO PICTURES, What's up with that??? My motto is if you ain't got pictures then it didn't happen. So for all of us wannabe's stuck down in the lower 48, post'em if you got'em 😉

here you go
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.

42lou
Explorer
Explorer
suedonlem wrote:

all i can say is do not attempt in the rain!
the first part of the taylor hwy looks like it could become super slippery when wet..
we spied a mh lying on its side...a chilling reminder of just how soft the shoulder is..
that was a couple of weeks ago now..
otherwise wasn't too bad
Lou & Nikki
Daisy (Morkie)
Domino (Cat)
2010 New Horizons custom Fifth Wheel 38' Summit
2018 Host Mammoth Truck Camper
2009 F450 King Ranch
6.4L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4.3 axle w/ towboss pkg.

suedonlem
Explorer
Explorer

suedonlem
Explorer
Explorer
check my blog rvwheelstoalaska.com plenty of pictures

Kave2u
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Kave2u wrote:
See our blog jtappen@wordpress.com

THANKS!!
Kettrell & Sharon
Clinton, NC
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS