cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Robbed at gunpoint

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
A mechanic who helped me change a trailer spring on the side of the road on the cuota west of Villahermosa was robbed when he stopped to help someone fix a flat tire. It was a setup. I suspect someone saw him helping me and knew i would have paid him so set a trap further on. Just a reminder to not stop to help, call the green angels
15 REPLIES 15

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I was not trying to get people paranoid, just advising caution in some areas. As ohers have said you are at risk in the US as well.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
rocmoc wrote:
Just be cautious or stay NOB.

rocmoc n AZ

Staying NOB? With the latest news and crime statistics I don't think it makes any difference what country you're in.

Agree with you in general but not locally! But I was referring to you have a choice to go SOB or not, Choice is Yours! Was talking about choice, nothing else! You expanded my post!

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
This type of crime has been going on for a long time, it surges and then recedes, in times past the crooks would ride a bicycle and snatch the watches of the person with the arm resting on the window frame at a stop light, I saw it happen on Avenida Reforma to the guy in front of me at the stop light, then they were not violent, today they have a knife and some have a gun, the violence has escalated, as I stated before this does not happen on one corner only at one spot but all over the different areas of the cities, it is so random that the authorities are not able to catch them, some ride motorcycles and others bicycles and some are on foot.

Just be aware of what you do, doors locked and windows rolled up, less chance for the crook, do not try to be the hero because you were in the armed forces and have commando training, your chances of getting hurt go up as age goes up.

navegator

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Car jacking crimes were quite common in the US a couple of decades ago. News reports published them all the time.
So. . .now, are car jacking crimes down? Or is that not "news" anymore?
It's news only when reported.
Thanks for the news Paul.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I walk streets for exercise in Maine and when we are in Mexico. Although I conceal carry in Maine we feel safer in Mexico when we're out walking in the evening unarmed.
In Maine one dark night we were walking in a nice neighborhood when two young men approached us and asked for a cigarette (how old is that line?) Anyhow, I'm fairly tall and didn't appear worried or nervous and they left us alone. Something like that has never happened in Mexico to us.
Children are nowhere to be seen on the streets at night in the US while they are out in numbers in Mexico.

Talleyho69
We SO agree!

We live in a strangely low crime area, an anomaly. We still feel safer in Mexico.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
rocmoc wrote:
Just be cautious or stay NOB.

rocmoc n AZ

Staying NOB? With the latest news and crime statistics I don't think it makes any difference what country you're in.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Petty crime has been up as reported in the local Nogales newpaper and the BajaNomad website. Just be cautious or stay NOB.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Talleyho69
Remember, we travel and live in Mexico because we WANT to!

Keep posts factual and how they help/affect RVers.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
And here I've been living in a death trap for 32 years and didn't even know it.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I found a near-perfect solution that wouldn't work for most people.

Look so poor that when the sicarios are bent over double laughing at the futility of robbing you...you make your escape.

The only way to handle a gunpoint robbery is to cooperate slowly and carefully while nodding your head.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There is an uptick in vehicle assaults.

When driving around keep the windows closed and use the air/con and also make sure that the doors are locked, the individuals run up to the vehicle and either open the door or if the window is open stick a knife up to the person and demand the money and watches, purses, wallets etc. honking the horn with the knife next to you will only get you a slash and a nasty wound or death.

So doors locked and windows rolled up, this is going on in every big City, be aware of your situation, this is a random issue and the police are having a hard time with the assaults since they do not happen on a consistent pattern, different corners, different areas, different times of the day and specially at night.

navegator

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
At an intersection in Sonoyta last week I had a guy run up and open a bay door (note to self: don't forget to lock them).

I laid on the air horn for about 15 seconds and he ran off empty handed.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
The danger in Mexico is real.