cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rental Cars-Anchorage June/July completel booked

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, kids. I know occasionally RVers rent cars so I thought I'd give you a head's up that rental cars in Anchorage are completely booked up for July and August. More travelers and less car availability have created a shortage. If you in need of a car try Alaska 4x4 Rentals (they aren't all 4x4s). It will be expensive ($180/day) but in a pinch it's worth it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
7 REPLIES 7

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure? I just went on Expedia searching for availability in Anchorage July 3 - July 7, and literally every major rental company had vehicles available. They're expensive, the lowest price showing at $159 per day, but they are advertised as being available.

Yep. I personally talked to National, Avis and Hertz and they incorporate some of the other companies as well. Expedia isn't always reliable.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Are you sure? I just went on Expedia searching for availability in Anchorage July 3 - July 7, and literally every major rental company had vehicles available. They're expensive, the lowest price showing at $159 per day, but they are advertised as being available.
Considering almost everything is more expensive in AK this price seems reasonable.
I have paid more in IA and ID the last couple years. Although recently half that price in UT.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at Alamo for a friend a couple days ago (decided to go a different direction) and they had cars for the last two weeks of July. Not only was that 2 days ago, but there's an increasing (well, there were, back in August) number of people showing up here in Los Anchorage only to be told that "We know you had a reservation but we don't have cars." ....and they are indeed expensive, circa $2000 for a week or so if one gets any add-ons.

As mentioned, Alaska 4x4 Rentals, or some of the secondary rental outlets (Rent-a-Wreck, dealer rentals, T**o, etc) might be an option as well.

Personal opinion (volunteered, worth what's paid for it) is that if one is coming to Alaska and will be on the road system (Los Anchorage-Homer-Valdez-Squarebanks-Dalton Highway in a pinch), having a vehicle exponentially improves the enjoyment of the trip. Cruise to SE, no real need for a vehicle: 3 weeks to spend between Los Anchorage and Squarebanks, having a vehicle really adds to the experience.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
Due to time constraints, we've looked at flying to Anchorage and renting car for a 10 day tour of the state. That soon moved to renting an RV (never thought I would!), then moved to WOW it's so expensive. Flight, Class C rv rental, food, etc, was going to be 12k min. for our family. With a kid in college and one soon to start, we backed off.

Point is, yes, cars and even 4x4's are more expensive there, but I agree it would be worth it.

You might want to consider looking into a cruise/tour. That's what we did last time and it was fantastic (and quite reasonably priced compared to the alternatives). Just a thought.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Due to time constraints, we've looked at flying to Anchorage and renting car for a 10 day tour of the state. That soon moved to renting an RV (never thought I would!), then moved to WOW it's so expensive. Flight, Class C rv rental, food, etc, was going to be 12k min. for our family. With a kid in college and one soon to start, we backed off.

Point is, yes, cars and even 4x4's are more expensive there, but I agree it would be worth it.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Some really plan aheadโ€ฆand they got the Summer rentals.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad