cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Puerto Pensaco Report

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, I don't post on this board much anymore, for a couple good reasons, but I thought I would throw this out there for anybody heading this way to Rocky Point , Hello, Hello , Hello (echo)

15th year here in Rocky Point. At the Reef Rv park. We still love it. Been farther south. Don't need to go farther south. Lived in several foreign countries . We like it here. Southbound Border Guards were not bad. 100 yards south of the border, mexican marines are stopping a lot of rv's heading south. Cursory search in some cases, more thorough in others. (This was as of yesterday)
Sonyota police are still active and taking traffic violation money from americans (DON'T SPEED)
This was as of this week.

Recent events on the news about the border .......we had no problem southbound. Wait at the border was about 30 seconds. We drove through without getting stopped 2 weeks ago.

Bad news. The Reef rv park.has almost doubled its rates for prime spots. In some cases doubled. Name may be changing or at least what they call themselves. The park is half full (or half empty if you're that kinda person) , at least so far for the presidents day week end.

My friends arrived 4 days ago without reservations and easily got a spot, so that option is open

Good news. Sea lions and dolphins are out and some have reported seeing whales.

Weather is a little overcast but not too bad. Been a little breezy. Heard it was raining in Phoenix.

Fuel here is a bit pricey, but not much we can do about that. I think about 18 pesos or so a liter.

Had dinner at El Capitan on top at the malecon, for Valentines Day. Food was good and reasonable. Margaritas were excellent.

They take dollars here (and credit cards) and the last exchange rate for pesos I saw was around 18 pesos to the dollar.

And finally, the shrimp are available, big and tasty.

So if you're hesitant about traveling to Rocky Point.... Yes it is Mexico. About 64 miles or so over the border.

If you would never ever travel to Mexico, the US. is better. GREAT. If you're thinking about traveling to Rocky Point ,pack up , come on down, its different, a little adventure and we like it.
18 REPLIES 18

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Hi Russ. I even saw a promotion for the cruise in Kino. How is the tourism in PP? I heard it was excellent.

Moisheh

I have been here 13 years and I can't believe how good the tourism part is but also new construction projects...houses a new shopping mall with a cinopolis movie theater. My projects in Cholla bay are coming along we have several houses under renovation and sold one last year and have an offer on another one in the pipe.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Russ. I even saw a promotion for the cruise in Kino. How is the tourism in PP? I heard it was excellent.

Moisheh

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
They are booking cruises for this year from PP but I don't know w here the ship is docking??

Moisheh

The ship will be at sea and they will tender the 550 passengers to the boat. What I heard was all 6 cruises are sold out...
Russ Black
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
I just brought a group in on Monday and have a second group of 29 rigs later in the month, things are going good this year. Everyone that is here is having a great time.
Russ Black
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Group hitting the Reef Monday between 1 and 2pm

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
They are booking cruises for this year from PP but I don't know w here the ship is docking??

Moisheh

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
The Eyesore. Its what I call that rock pile of a pier that they started about 8 years ago and never finished.
It was supposed to be the Cruise ship port. They had a security guard there about 3 years ago and he's been gone. People are using it to fish off of. Not much has been done in those 3 years. People crossing back and forth on it daily.

The latest date is Dece 7 2019 for it to get active. Not holding my breath.

We watched it from the beginning. We even watched the Starting ceremony. All its done for me is ruin my view. Hopefully it will get done and they can use it to help the local economy.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
The electrical boxes have been redone. Each space has 2, 30am and 2, 50 amp receptacles. two sewer hookup each side of the space and water. Only experienced high voltage once or twice so far. My Progressive EMS system handled that ok. No damage done.

Water pressure to the rv has been pretty good lately. We always put water in our tank in case the pressure goes down. its done that twice since we've been here so its pretty much on par with what we've found in the US.

Bring extra sewer hose, water hose and a power cord extension. That way you aren't limited in the manner you wish to park. Example; Class A's usually "nose in" towards the water for the view. You'll need more hookup lengths , sewer water, power to reach the pedestal. Trailers and 5th wheel, usual setup.

Place is still about half empty but there are a lot of people out and about. 4 wheelers are climbing the nearby sand dunes regularly.
Had great sunshine and clear skys yesterday. More expected today.

The Wrecked at the Reef Restaurant ( about a 3 wood from our door step) was doing pretty good last night with a live band.

That sea water is cold but there were a lot of people in it yesterday.

The pelicans gave us a show yesterday diving for the millions of small fish (herring???) making a run for the open sea.

We bar b que'd and drank coronas and tecate beer all afternoon. Propane (no wood fires allowed anymore) campfire in the late afternoon as the sun set.

Pretty good day.

Talleyho69
Beach front anywhere is priceless!!!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I think those rates were posted last year. Expensive for Mexico. Have they fixed any of the electrical boxes? $54 to $50 is becoming the standard in the USA but there are usually amenities. I guess one could say that the view at the Reef is priceless!!

Moisheh

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed the Reef for about 3 weeks, but on the cheap, 6 years ago. We saw some preliminary activity towards planning construction of the breakwater to get Cruise ships to come there. How is that, these days? We enjoyed Rocky Point and liked how they treated us then, out on the sand, as we were three rigs, all confirmed boondockers both much farther south, and in Arizona's BLM lands. We had made the trip there from a month in San Felipe, doing the trip through the Altar Desert. Having always rushed to go farther south in Mexico, we were encouraged to find the Mexican people in the north just as friendly and accomadating as they had been another 1,000 miles farther south.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Dons 2346, hearing the same think about the Reef. This is Presidents day weekend, The Reef was almost full last year at this time. Not half ful l this year. There is supposed to be a couple of caravans coming next week. We'll see. The rest is just rumor. Last year it looked like things were "picking up" so of course they rates double

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Right now the rates are $50.00 a night for beachfront near entrances.
$40.00 a night for beach front
$35.00 a night for 1 row back of beach front
$25.00 for no beach front (not completely sure on that $25.00 but close) the rest is accurate as of today.

If you book for the month, they give you 10% off.

If you are staying more than a month, they want 1st and last month.

All reservations require full payment in advance.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Galvanizd:
What were those rates at the Park? I had heard they were around $50.00 USD?
Moisheh