cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ontario Annual Yellow safety inspection sticker exemption

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
As of July 1 2019 Ontario drivers of personal use pickup trucks with GVWR under 6500kgs are now exempt from the requirement to get the Annual Safety Inspection Yellow stickers.
Please note that at the bottom this proposal has been "approved"

For once I can say GOOD JOB to the Ontario government!

I will be printing this out and carrying it with me to educate any LEO as to the changes if stopped.
Ontario Safety Inspection Certificate Exemption
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
29 REPLIES 29

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gitane59 wrote:
We need a new constitutional charter right prohibiting any new laws that reduces the need to take personal responsibility for ones own action's before we all become nanny state zombie's.

Now there's the best idea I've heard in a long time.

Unfortunately we now live in a society where the only person NOT responsible for someone's action is that person themselves.

So until people start taking responsibility for their own actions, we will be all forced to look over our shoulder for big brother to watch out for us with ever more stringent rules & regulations.

Snow tires are another example, people run "all season" tires all year then scream when their vehicle is damaged by the governments 'negligence in not maintaining the roads 'properly'.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes there are incidents where lack of maintenance or human error causes accident's where good innocent people are hurt or killed. Sorry that life's. Wrap yourself in bubblewrap and climb into a bomb shelter if it makes you feel better.
You can make all the laws and regulation's you want but people will still break them and take stupid chances and risk's putting you and themselves at risk.
Where is the line between freedom and excessive laws/regulations? I don't know many business owners that want more regulation.
We need a new constitutional charter right prohibiting any new laws that reduces the need to take personal responsibility for ones own action's before we all become nanny state zombie's.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
shum02 wrote:
With dofo running the Province for another 3 years you will NEVER see any additional "red tape" thrown in front of business or the motoring public.

I presume you're not a business owner then, and that you never eat or drink anything while driving.

As of Jan 1 / 2019 a bunch of new changes came into effect here in the Ford Nation.

Just as one example, although you'll see anyone being charged unless they tinkle on a LEO's corn flakes or have an accident....

Grabbing a double / double and a doughnut at Timmes could now mean:

First offence: $1,000 fine and 3 day license suspension,

Second offence: $2,000 fine and 7 day license suspension,

Third offence: $3,000 fine, 30 day licence suspension, and six demerit points.

Yup, as of Jan. 1st 2019 the list of things that qualify as "distracted driving" grew.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Good that there won't be more "red tape" in the short term! In terms of excessive legislation I always get a laugh when I cross into the "nanny state" AKA California, they must assume their citizens are pure dummies.

It's important that people take personal responsibility for their actions, maybe McDonalds wouldn't need to put warnings on their coffee cups after that woman got scalded when holding a cup between her legs (and won some significant $$).

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
shum02 wrote:

No follow up on why it came off, what it came off of and not an RV. What am I missing??? That every vehicle in Ontario should be yearly inspected?

The point was simply that if a 'daily driver' owned and operated by a LEO could lose a wheel on a major highway causing this sort of issue, then imagine how much more likely a vehicle much more likely to be self-maintained, if maintained at all, and only driven sporadically and likely only seasonally at that is to be in poor shape.

Many, many jurisdictions in North America require just that, an annual safety inspection for every vehicle, motorized or not.

BTW, there was an update, it just wasn't as publicized as the actual event. This one was also the 5 or 6th instance this summer of passenger vehicles or small trailers losing wheels.

According to the OPP spokesman, "A 56 year old man from Barrie is now charged with โ€œDetached partโ€ - HTA 84.2(1) after a wheel came off his vehicle and struck another vehicle injuring the driver on #Hwy400"

Just because he's a LEO does not make him in any way a mechanic. Several years ago May 24 I got caught in those trailer inspections on the 400 North of #7. The OPP officer looking over my rig had NO clue what he was looking at. I explained it to him what he was looking at, we checked all my lights and then I was off. BTW I no longer stop there on a long weekend anymore. An hour of my life I won't get back.

With dofo running the Province for another 3 years you will NEVER see any additional "red tape" thrown in front of business or the motoring public. Heck I disagreed with the removal of emission test because it was perhaps the only time some people actually took their car to see a mechanic unless it actually stranded them and let's not even talk about the North end of the province getting exemptions from emission testing due to financial hardships!!!

I have had my F350 registered for 4000kgs since I have owned it to not bother with the yellow sticker. Personally I'm glad it's done with as my truck is a daily driver, it does not earn me a living, get me any tax deductions or covered by OHSA legislation.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
shum02 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
gitane59 wrote:
stevemorris wrote:
some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

new Brunswick and nova scotia for sure

keeps a lot of trash off the road

While in theory I don't disagree with your suggestion I have not seen or heard of any recreational vehicles in Ontario sustaining mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance kill people. however we have too many examples of tires flying off of passenger cars and commercial transport trailers in Ontario that have indeed killed people.
I support fixing that issue first as it has resulted in serious injury and death.

Never say never........

Read this story.

Please note the point in the story, the vehicle that lost the wheel, was a LEOโ€™s own vehicle. While NOT an RV, it was one of those โ€˜exemptโ€™ vehicles that donโ€™t need to be inspected.

No follow up on why it came off, what it came off of and not an RV. What am I missing??? That every vehicle in Ontario should be yearly inspected?

The point was simply that if a 'daily driver' owned and operated by a LEO could lose a wheel on a major highway causing this sort of issue, then imagine how much more likely a vehicle much more likely to be self-maintained, if maintained at all, and only driven sporadically and likely only seasonally at that is to be in poor shape.

Many, many jurisdictions in North America require just that, an annual safety inspection for every vehicle, motorized or not.

BTW, there was an update, it just wasn't as publicized as the actual event. This one was also the 5 or 6th instance this summer of passenger vehicles or small trailers losing wheels.

According to the OPP spokesman, "A 56 year old man from Barrie is now charged with โ€œDetached partโ€ - HTA 84.2(1) after a wheel came off his vehicle and struck another vehicle injuring the driver on #Hwy400"

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
gitane59 wrote:
stevemorris wrote:
some provinces have an annual safety inspection for all motor vehicles and trailers. private and commercial AND travel trailers are included, even little popups

While in theory I don't disagree with your suggestion I have not seen or heard of any recreational vehicles in Ontario sustaining mechanical failures due to lack of maintenance kill people. however we have too many examples of tires flying off of passenger cars and commercial transport trailers in Ontario that have indeed killed people.
I support fixing that issue first as it has resulted in serious injury and death.

Never say never........

Read this story.

Please note the point in the story, the vehicle that lost the wheel, was a LEOโ€™s own vehicle. While NOT an RV, it was one of those โ€˜exemptโ€™ vehicles that donโ€™t need to be inspected.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gitane59 wrote:
stevemorris wrote:

Never say never........

Read this story.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
stevemorris wrote:

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gitane59 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

You nailed my point EXACTLY. Anyone who would pull that trailer down the road is obviously NOT the safety-oriented motorist that you and me are.

All trailers and tow vehicles should be inspected.

In Pennsylvania for example, all trailers over 3,000 pounds GVWR need to be certified annually, all motor vehicles need to be inspected prior to each years license renewal.

Otherwise letโ€™s just go with the whole โ€˜2 sets of rulesโ€™ thing, nobody over 65 allowed to drive on 400 series highways, no RVโ€™s allowed on highways during rush hours or holiday weekends, nobody can pull a trailer on the road until they pass a โ€˜trailer endorsementโ€™ on their drivers license........ I could go on and on.

While I fully support the idea of a trailer towing license endorsement it can't end there. There also must be a large motorhome license endorsement as well that is practical and enforceable. Your other pie in the sky suggestions are simply wacky. Rush hour is 24x7 in the GTA!

I would love to know how much lower the highway death rates, accident rates, injury rates, insurance claims costs' and insurance rates are in Pennsylvania than in jurisdiction without said annual safety inspections for all motor vehicles before commenting on your position of annual safety inspection's of all vehicles.
That's one of the goofy things about the yellow sticker law in Ontario. No one, commercial use or personal use has ever had to prove that they are in possession of a current Yellow safety sticker inspection to renew a required vehicles plate license registration. You must show proof of a current CVOR if required or declare the exemption from the CVOR before a commercial vehicle license registration can be renewed but not the Yellow sticker

And this 'sticker BS' is EXACTLY why they've brought in this exemption.

There is a concept in law called "officially induced error" under which principle (despite the 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' principle) you cannot be found guilty of an offence if you were lead there due to the action, or inaction, of the government themselves in some way.

By allowing people to license a vehicle that was required to be inspected annnually, without even telling them they required that inspection, let alone insisting on it, they were creating the offence themselves.

Many, many traffic ticket fighting outfits got people off on this ticket because of this and it finally found it's way up the food chain until they finally corrected the situation.

Whacky indeed, I was trying to be in order to point out the unfair rules and regulations.

There's MANY more still on the books. Double towing in Ontario is one of them, probably near the top of the list IMHO. In Ontario you can legally tow two trailers behind one tow vehicle, BUT, only if the tow vehicle is a "commercial vehicle" (read pickup truck) and NOT if the driver has an AR drivers license.

So, if I had a little Ford Ranger I could legally two two trailers behind it, BUT, if I had an F450 and I have an AR license I cant.

Explain that logic.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:

You nailed my point EXACTLY. Anyone who would pull that trailer down the road is obviously NOT the safety-oriented motorist that you and me are.

In Pennsylvania for example, all trailers over 3,000 pounds GVWR need to be certified annually, all motor vehicles need to be inspected prior to each years license renewal.

Otherwise letโ€™s just go with the whole โ€˜2 sets of rulesโ€™ thing, nobody over 65 allowed to drive on 400 series highways, no RVโ€™s allowed on highways during rush hours or holiday weekends, nobody can pull a trailer on the road until they pass a โ€˜trailer endorsementโ€™ on their drivers license........ I could go on and on.

While I fully support the idea of a trailer towing license endorsement it can't end there. There also must be a large motorhome license endorsement as well that is practical and enforceable. Your other pie in the sky suggestions are simply wacky. Rush hour is 24x7 in the GTA!

I would love to know how much lower the highway death rates, accident rates, injury rates, insurance claims costs' and insurance rates are in Pennsylvania than in jurisdiction without said annual safety inspections for all motor vehicles before commenting on your position of annual safety inspection's of all vehicles.
That's one of the goofy things about the yellow sticker law in Ontario. No one, commercial use or personal use has ever had to prove that they are in possession of a current Yellow safety sticker inspection to renew a required vehicles plate license registration. You must show proof of a current CVOR if required or declare the exemption from the CVOR before a commercial vehicle license registration can be renewed but not the Yellow sticker

CoMoCo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting! I just had my inspection done in June but am looking forward to next year already!

gitane59 wrote:
As of July 1 2019 Ontario drivers of personal use pickup trucks with GVWR under 6500kgs are now exempt from the requirement to get the Annual Safety Inspection Yellow stickers.
Please note that at the bottom this proposal has been "approved"

For once I can say GOOD JOB to the Ontario government!

I will be printing this out and carrying it with me to educate any LEO as to the changes if stopped.
Ontario Safety Inspection Certificate Exemption
'23 Silverado High Country 3500 SRW LB D/A; '22 Cedar Creek 345IK

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gitane59 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

I have no doubt you are the kind of person who would maintain their equipment......

However.......

Someone is about to take THIS trailer down the road.

Thank you, but I completely fail to see how anything about this link is relevant to the original subject. Recreational trailers have never been subject to annual vehicle safety inspections regardless of tow vehicle.

If you are suggesting that recreational trailers should be inspected then we must include boat trailers, snowmobile trailers, motorcycle trailers and the inspections would have to be required regardless of the vehicle towing them.
I hope you see how any discussion about recreational trailer safety inspections would be any entirely different subject matter.

I'm sorry that because you use your HD truck for business and commercial purposes as well as pleasure that the goofy Ontario reg's require you to have yellow stickers on your personal pleasure water craft trailer. It is a goofy interpretation of the yellow sticker law when you really think about it.